PDA

View Full Version : Issue 225 Advance Copies Out

wbrobin
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM
The March/April issue of WoodenBoat is on my desk, and carries a striking cover of a Paul Gartside-designed cutter being built by Stephane Tremblay and his wife, Catherine Gagne. In the book, you'll find an article by Michael Higgins about the steps he took, and problems he faced and resolved in the construction of his Gartside cutter, SAMARA T. I had the pleasure of sailing on SAMARA T in last summer's Egg Reach Race. She was a beautiful thing. So well thought out, so much room below, and a wonderful cockpit. I had a wonderful day with Michael and his crew.

Robin

landlocked sailor
02-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks, looking forward too it. Paul really has an eye and has a builder, real cred too. Rick

rbgarr
02-08-2012, 12:29 AM
'Managing expectations for boat builders' looks promising, as does the '12 Essential Designers' tear out section.

Ethan
02-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Sounds interesting! But here's my (small) gripe Matt, Carl, et al........

I understand that you have no control over the USPS and that print subscribers are at the mercy of several delivery factors. BUT..........

I would think that as soon as the new issue cover hits the website, the emails for the digital subscribers should be heading for their inbox. After all, isn't that part of the selling point for the digital edition? Sometimes it's 2-3 weeks after the issue hits newsstands that the digital issue link is sent. That's a foul, IMO.

I really enjoy the work product you guys and gals produce every month - please let's not let that fact get lost in this complaint - but I really think the delivery aspect (print and digital) is a legitimate weakness in your process. One that I'd like to see rectified to strengthen WB as a whole.

Again, great work and I offer this input with constructive intent.

Thad
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
And I'm still waiting for 224. I'll get one at the MBBS if not before.

Carl Cramer
02-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks, Ethan. The digital issues are scheduled to go out tonight.

Best wishes to you, Carl

Sounds interesting! But here's my (small) gripe Matt, Carl, et al........

I understand that you have no control over the USPS and that print subscribers are at the mercy of several delivery factors. BUT..........

I would think that as soon as the new issue cover hits the website, the emails for the digital subscribers should be heading for their inbox. After all, isn't that part of the selling point for the digital edition? Sometimes it's 2-3 weeks after the issue hits newsstands that the digital issue link is sent. That's a foul, IMO.

I really enjoy the work product you guys and gals produce every month - please let's not let that fact get lost in this complaint - but I really think the delivery aspect (print and digital) is a legitimate weakness in your process. One that I'd like to see rectified to strengthen WB as a whole.

Again, great work and I offer this input with constructive intent.

norseman
02-08-2012, 03:12 PM
See my shed in there? :)

jimmy lee
02-09-2012, 09:42 PM
I got my Issue 225 today. I read the story,"A Little Boat goes a long way." What an Adventure! I live here in the Midwest, also. A modern day Huck Finn!!! Great story!

Ethan
02-10-2012, 03:41 AM
See my shed in there? :)

Sure did! Are there pics of your boat and/or build on the forum?

Ethan
02-10-2012, 03:42 AM
Thanks, Ethan. The digital issues are scheduled to go out tonight.

Best wishes to you, Carl

Thanks, Carl. Arrived and is being enjoyed - great issue!

JoshuaIII
02-10-2012, 10:41 AM
The March/April issue of WoodenBoat is on my desk, and carries a striking cover of a Paul Gartside-designed cutter being built by Stephane Tremblay and his wife, Catherine Gagne.

Thanks, that's me. ;)

Ethan
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks, that's me. ;)

Hmmm...you look different in your avatar! ;)

JoshuaIII
02-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Well now you know why I hide in the shadow for the picture :D

almeyer
02-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Just got my issue day before yesterday, and had a chance to glance through it last nite. Really enjoyed the article about John Welsford. Had a chance to meet him last fall; he's a fine gentleman.
Al

Rich Jones
02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
By far one of best cover photos ever presented by WBM! That one shot says it all. The mystical satisfaction of creating a living thing out of a pile of wood. One of my favorite parts of boatbuilding is to gaze upon an emerging hull and envision the boat dancing thru the waves. It's always a vision of hope and promise.