PDA

View Full Version : Promotion for former subscribers

milt
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
It's been a quite a a few years since I was a WoodenBoat subscriber. Recently I received a promotional offer with a "rate reduction for former subscribers." The promotional letter says that I can get a one-time discount that will NOT be repeated. It's a "special one-time-only discount at our absolute lowest price." It offers me a "special welcome-back discount" of 28%. Sounds good, doesn't it. The only problem is this is a 28% discount off the COVER PRICE of $41.70. The normal subscription price is $32.00. So the "Welcome-back" rate of $29.95 is only a discount of about 6%.
Then they show a list of "Included" items that I get with my subscription. Most of these included items are just the various articles and columns normally in the magazine. I certainly hope they would be included.

This whole welcome-back promotion is an insult to my intelligence. Do they really think I'll fall for all this tripe? I'm sure the magazine is good, maybe even as good as when Jon Wilson was editor, but I don't like them trying to mislead me.

Old Dryfoot
02-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Well if I was a former subscriber instead of a current one I'd gladly take that 6% discount.

orbb
02-02-2012, 04:41 PM
If Woodenboat is like most publications, the cost of printing and mailing is done at a loss. The $32.00 probably doesn't cover just those two services, let alone the research, writing, etc.

However, subscribers sell ads, which is why they want you back. The 6 percent probably represents the amount they can really afford to bleed to lure in more subscribers without it making no business sense.

And as Old Dryfoot said, $29.95 is better than $32. You can buy a 24 ounce beer with that $2 to enjoy with your first new magazine.

Canoez
02-02-2012, 05:12 PM
It is not auspicious to inspect the dental qualities of a bequest equine too closely.

JimD
02-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I once worked for a big company that took the brave stance of honest advertising. They immediately started to lose market share and so went back to the misleading variety. Business picked right back up. Sad.

Carl Cramer
02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks, all. The savings are actually greater than that. Our current single-copy price (at the newsstand) is $6.95. According to quick math, x 6 = $41.70.

$29.95/$41.70= a savings of 28%.

I think we've always been immaculately honest in our dealings with our readers. You all pay a premium to receive WoodenBoat in whichever form -- by subscription or at the newsstand. And this permits us to say, with absolute honesty, that our readers come first.

You are -- of course -- welcome to differ and argue with us if you feel we've been in any way less that totally above board. And I -- among all the rest of us here at WB -- will go out of my way to listen to your lament, and try to address and correct it. But our rates are what they are. If you'd rather not air your complian in a public forum, you can always reach me: carl a t woodenboatdotcom.

Thanks, Carl

milt
02-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm not complaining about the subscription price that they are offering. I'm upset that they are trying to tell me that I am getting this wonderful, one time only, deal by comparing my subscription price to the news stand price, when, in reality, I'm only saving 2 bucks (6%) compared to other subscribers.

Carl Cramer
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Milt -- That's a COMPLAINT?

milt
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Not that I'm saving $2. That they are trying to make me think that I'm saving $11.75.

Michael D. Storey
02-02-2012, 08:56 PM
I got the same thing. I also got one for Money Mag and for Forbes, both of which were available for $10.00 per year. That is a discount. $2.00 an change is not. The mailer must have cost half of my savings. They could have cross referenced Forum E-mail lists with previous subscribers, advertised the offer on line, to addresses that they knew were good, and added half of the savings to the offer. We would have all come out ahead.

Carl Cramer
02-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks, Michael. We would never use Forum email addresses for anything of the sort. We respect your privacy too much.

captsct
02-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Comparing yourself as a Non-subscriber to me a current subscriber is not a fair comparison. For you to legally get all of the issues, you need to go to the news stand and you have to pay the full cover price of $41.70 for all the issues in a year. Plus add in the gas and hassle of going. (Is it carried at the stores you frequent?) Thus the offer presented is a good deal. And at $2 less than I paid as a regular subscriber, I should be the one who feels put out. However, I'm glad I don't have to pay the full news stand price; pay for gas; and deal with the hassle of remembering to go to a store, that I don't frequent, that carries this publication and check for the new issue.

rbgarr
02-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Then they show a list of "Included" items that I get with my subscription. Most of these included items are just the various articles and columns normally in the magazine. I certainly hope they would be included.

This whole welcome-back promotion is an insult to my intelligence. Do they really think I'll fall for all this tripe? I'm sure the magazine is good, maybe even as good as when Jon Wilson was editor, but I don't like them trying to mislead me.

Several of those benefits may be ones former subscribers may not be aware of if they haven't been buying or reading the magazine since they let their subscriptions lapse.

The '100% money back offer if not satisfied' is one I've not seen before, anyway. Sounds like just the ticket for someone with your frame of reference, Milt. Subscribe, get all the issues for the year and then complain and get all your money back.

jimmy lee
02-09-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm going to give My opinion. $32.00 for a year or $59.00 for 2 years is a bargain! I sent in the mail My 2 year subscription of $59.00 today. I do not ever plan on being a non-subscriber. I totally enjoy every issue, I'm always looking forward to the next Issue.