PDA

View Full Version : headwater 24/predator 20

eastern270
12-08-2003, 09:01 PM
i am curious to know if anyone has built either the headwater 24 or the predator 20 designs by tracy obrien. if so what are you using for power and what is the speed and fuel consumption? how well did the construction go together? what is your overall opinion of the boat?

thanks

D Gobby
12-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Sorry I can't help much on either of the two designs.
I ask the same question over on Design I have gptten only one response giving a link to tracy web site.
I have the plans for Tracy's Alfred W. design. I have e-mailed Tracy Obrien several times and recivied a fast responce each time.
I would direct you to e-mail him with your questions but he never seems to go into any real detail. He does adress your questions but somehow really doesn't. Maybe he is very busy.
I scaled the plans this weekend to 1"= 1' cut the hull shape out of poster paper and was suprised how well everthing went together.
Yahoo has a nice Tolman message board if you go there and do a search for Predator there is a good post of construction photos. Looks like a nice and fairly simple to build boat.
The guy that built the Predator in the photos scaled the hull to 93 percent. I have a feeling that some of the handling problems he has experince are due the scaling issue so take some of that with a grain of salt. Best I can tell he scaled the whole hull not just the length.
I don't know if the builder did this on his own or with Mr. Obriens blessing. Sure could not have done much for the design to remove bouyancy from the stern and then hang a four stroke on it.
I don't have anything from a performance Stand point. But Tracys designs sure look easy to build.

Darrel

wingnut
12-09-2003, 12:03 PM
i'm currently building the headwater 16, and it is not a hard boat to build (although i wish i had more time to work on it, but that's another story). I would also email tracy, he will get right back to you on your questions. You might check out this site too http://www.chogboats.com/gallery_05.
Jerry has also been very helpful to me in building my boat (i can't thank him enough!)
Tracy o'brien will be very honest with you as to what you should expect.
As for Tracy o'brien being busy i'm sure he probably is. When i stopped by his shop last year to buy my plans he told me he wasn't into building boats so much anymore but, had gotten into aircraft supplies (as his website suggests).
Anyway, if you decide to build one of his boats, enjoy...so far for me it has been a very rewarding experience, and plans are in the works for building several more boats in the future.
take care,
wingnut