PDA

View Full Version : Advice to the poor and sick

MiddleAgesMan
02-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Yesterday Romney said the poor can eat cake and today Rick Santorum told the mother of a gravely ill child that the market should set the price of critical drugs.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/rick-santorum-tells-sick-kid-market-set-drug-004745384--abc-news.html

Phillip Allen
02-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Yesterday Romney said the poor can eat cake and today Rick Santorum told the mother of a gravely ill child that the market should set the price of critical drugs.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/rick-santorum-tells-sick-kid-market-set-drug-004745384--abc-news.html

I don't know why you guys eat up all that campaign talk... it depresses me to be lied to... no matter which side does the lying

AND... your report has no garuntee that it's not spun out of context, so I don't want to hear the spinning by political bigots either (don't know if you are one but it gets hard to tell the difference anyway)

Phillip Allen
02-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Campaign talk gets noticed, boyo. That's why they open their mouths in the first place, to influence voters. If inanities plop out, why, there you jolly well are, aren't you?

I really do try to stay out of it. I'll try to bone-up at the last minute before I vote. It's not a very good way to do it but it saves me a lot of depression

BrianW
02-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Read the article in the link Phillip. It's not as bad as made out. Of course, it rarely is, unless you only listen to the soundbites.

Phillip Allen
02-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Read the article in the link Phillip. It's not as bad as made out. Of course, it rarely is, unless you only listen to the soundbites.

I believe that 'soundbites' are generally intended to lie in some fashon or another

Paul Pless
02-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Spun way the **** out of context. Of course Romney was just saying that his priority was the middle class. Admittedly he did himself no favors putting it the way he did. . .

MiddleAgesMan
02-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Good idea. From the article:

"People have no problem paying $900 for an iPad," Santorum said, "but paying $900 for a drug they have a problem with - it keeps you alive. Why? Because you've been conditioned to think health care is something you can get without having to pay for it."

He's talking about a $900 drug but the kid's Abilify prescription carries an annual price tag in excess of $1,000,000.

I guess the kid and his mom will just have to eat Romney's cake.

Soundbounder
02-02-2012, 09:45 AM

"People have no problem paying $900 for an iPad," Santorum said, "but paying $900 for a drug they have a problem with - it keeps you alive. Why? Because you've been conditioned to think health care is something you can get without having to pay for it."

$900??????
That must be one fancy IPad

MiddleAgesMan
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
It's probably what some slick salesman figured he could get from a schmuck. :)

Soundbounder
02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
El Rushbo isn't too pleased with Romney's comments either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-0__5OkjKg

Horace
02-02-2012, 10:32 AM

He's talking about a $900 drug but the kid's Abilify prescription carries an annual price tag in excess of $1,000,000.Are you sure about this? Do you believe everything you read, or just what tickles your indignation? According to my calculations, $1M/year would equal at about one hundred 30mg/day (the recommended maximum dose) monthly Abilify prescriptions, each month, for a year. Something isn't adding up.

MiddleAgesMan
02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
No, I'm not sure and the million dollar figure seems farfetched, too, but the author did explain that the figure was "on paper" which I took to mean discounts were available and/or insurance was taking care of at least some of the costs. BTW--I take an oral chemotherapy drug which costs more than $4000 per month. I'm not happy to be paying the $400 copay, I can assure you!

Horace
02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Cash price (no insurance) cost of a 30-day 30 mg/day prescription at the local pharmacy is $840. A heck of a lot, still--although, as you say, assistance is available. But until people are willing to scrupulously avoid making (or repeating) exaggerated or dishonest claims, no progress will be possible. ABC, especially, should know better than to put such a claim into the mix.

Mad Scientist
02-02-2012, 04:48 PM
My 2008 edition of the PDR Pocket Guide to Prescription Drugs states that Abilify has not been tested on children or teenagers.

Anybody know how old is the 'boy' being treated with it?

Tom

Soundbounder
02-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Jonah Goldberg in National Review:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS GUY?

As a bunch of us have been writing around here for a while, the under-emphasized dynamic in this race isn’t that Romney isn’t conservative enough (though that’s obviously a real concern out there) it’s that he’s simply not a good enough politician. He may be the most electable (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/289833/what-wrong-guy-jonah-goldberg#) on paper. He’s certainly a nice guy, decent father, smart, successful etc. But, every time he seems to get into his groove and pull away he says things that make people think he doesn’t know how to play the game. That can be reassuring to some, who take it as proof he’s not another politician. The problem, for others at least, is that because he isn’t a natural politician he breaks the language where it needs to bend. He uses language — “I like to fire people!” “It’s nothing to get angry about” etc — that doesn’t make him seem like an unconventional politician. Rather his language makes him seem like a caricature of a conventionally stiff country club Republican.

A case in point, here he is this morning talking about how he’s “not very concerned about the very poor” (video here (http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/01/mitt-romney-middle-income-americans-are-focus-not-very-poor/)). I get the point he’s making. It’s a point that Bill Clinton won the presidency with — but with language that attracted voters. Romney’s language won’t do anything of the sort. And the concern is, after nearly a decade of running for president, if he can’t get this stuff down now he never will.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/289833/what-wrong-guy-jonah-goldberg