PDA

View Full Version : Building boat windows?

rvanvoris
01-30-2012, 08:59 PM
I am in the process of building a 32' Friday Island Ferry. Hull, engine, tanks steering and bow thruster are all in place. I am currently looking ahead to the windows. Buying production windows is very expensive and I am not wild about the look, very RV in my opinion.
So I considering building my own single drop 2'x3' windows. Mahogany sash and casings, perhaps "Starboard" sills and 1/4 inch glass set in Stainless vertical tracks. Has anyone had experience building anything like this?
Thanks
RVV

Larks
01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Have a look through Tenner's thread and you'll find how he did something that sounds similar to what you describe (I think!! unless I'm remembering it wrongly??), it's a big thread so I can't put you onto the right posts straight up but the whole thread is worth a look anyone

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?80153-Just-fore-the-fun-of-it-)

SMARTINSEN
01-30-2012, 09:45 PM
I think that Erster showed one a while ago, too, also when he was making his sweetie's dreamboat. He deletes a lot of his stuff, though, maybe he could chime in.

LapenkoAl
01-31-2012, 03:43 AM
I think, you will can do it. Because, a window's frame is not most difficult thing in a boat.
Usually in marine windows are used glass toughened, acrylic glasses and bullet-proof glasses.
We will make our windows from double-glass (glass pack). It is for to keeping a warm in boat.

Eddiebou
01-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Don't know if this will help you or not, but. Tiffany Yatchs used to build a signature type window for their boats. They drop into the wall cavity below them. I can't really describe how they work, but I know 'em when I see 'em.

michigangeorge
01-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Doug Hylan dhylanboats.com built some very nice tug type drop windows for his restoration of the sardine carrier Grayling. There was an article showing this in a past issue of our favorite magazine and I seem to remember it even had the details of the windows. Doug may have the drawings also.

Old Dryfoot
01-31-2012, 01:44 PM
(http://forum.woodenboat.com/member.php?2454-rvanvoris)rvanvoris, are you building a Benford ferry? Do you have a build thread or a blog somewhere? I would love to follow along if you do. The Benford ferries are a great favorite of mine.

rvanvoris
01-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks to everyone I am getting a much better idea on this.
Old Dryfoot, yes it is a Benford Friday Island Ferry I really should have something but I never got it together to document this project well.
I deliberatly do not have internet access at the boatshop because I know that I would spend all my time goofing around online and not getting the boat finished.
But I will try to get some photos up at some point.

Old Dryfoot
01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
...I will try to get some photos up at some point.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to it.

Bob Cleek
01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Building drop windows is quite a tricky enterprise if the ones I've seen are any indication. Problem is, where does the water go? Most of the old ferries that have them, such as the 100+ year old "Arthur Foss" tug I inspected last year, line the inside of the cabin side with copper or zinc sheeting soldered container sleeve and run a drain tube outboard. It makes for a lot of joinerwork. If you don't make some provision of that sort, the whole thing will rot out in short order. I see no need for metal tracks. If you are going for a traditional look anyway, the standard wooden sash arrangement is fine.

Ron Williamson
01-31-2012, 07:12 PM
The bottom of FIL's drop sash windows push outwards at the top of their travel,to rest on the sills,keeping quite a bit of the water out.
Below are troughs with drains like Bob describes.
R