PDA

View Full Version : Pay it forward

Sailor
01-25-2012, 03:49 PM
There are alot of helpful people on this forum. They give freely of their time expertise and sometimes materials. I saw it in another forum that had a "pay if forward" section. If you have an old shipmate stove that you're looking to give away, or end up with extra keelbolts once you've cut up all your propeller shaft keelbold material, you could post it here as a sort giveaway area of the forum. I don't think it would break our no advertising rules since nobody would be profiting from it, other than the fact that you now have that shipmate you needed, or the oarlocks that one of us is discarding.

MiddleAgesMan
01-25-2012, 04:02 PM
I hope/think this is OK. It's certainly a good idea.

I have the plans for Bolger's Blackskimmer that I purchased 8 or 10 years ago. I didn't build it--and won't--so I would be happy to pay them forward to someone who really wants to build one. I offered these once before and got someone who signed up to the forum just to let me know she wanted them. It didn't feel right so I kept them.

I don't want to give them to someone who just collects boat plans but if you're really serious about building this great design let me know.

sailboy3
01-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm all for this! There has already been some of this in individual threads, in fact I was the recipient of some of this generosity some time ago (thanks Roger Long), but a designated forum might be a good thing.

Sailor
01-27-2012, 05:23 PM
I wonder if "the powers that be" might set up a section for just this sort of thing? Or maybe the thing to do would be to set it up under the "resources" heading.

PeterSibley
01-27-2012, 06:47 PM
This would be an excellent idea ! We all end up with stuff we don't need but could be of use to another boat orientated person.

carlg
01-27-2012, 08:46 PM
I did this a few years ago with a lot of boating books that I'd never read again. Posted the list here, no fee, just pay the postage if you can. There were no complaints from the management, and a lot of fellow forumites wound up with books they wanted to read. I'd say go for it.

WX
01-27-2012, 10:45 PM
The Blackskimmer is a design I really wanted to build at one time...not now though.A pay it forward section or thread is a great idea.

P.L.Lenihan
01-28-2012, 04:37 AM
It is a neat idea Daniel! I hope it becomes a reality here on the forum.

Cheers!

Peter

rogue
01-28-2012, 11:03 AM
This is a very successful thread on another forum that I belong to, ngw.com for early Honda Goldwings. Some cool stuff comes through and it generates a very positive feeling within the forum. Many times I just don't want to be bothered with the whole selling/advertising/haggling thing, especially if the item is something I've held onto for years (like Merriman winches), or other stuff that should only go to good causes....cheers, BC

PeterSibley
01-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Here's an example on an Australian motorcycle forum .http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443602

Dan Payne
12-13-2012, 10:01 PM
What would be wrong with a "Marketplace" section. Boat only merchandise for sale, trade or free?

TerryLL
12-13-2012, 10:54 PM
A few years back Steve Paskey listed a raft of boat plans he had acquired over the years, to be donated to folks who might actually complete the builds. Lots of plans are purchased and never built, so a venue to pass them on to likely builders would be a lot better than throwing those unused plans in the trash.

I doubt that I have more than three or four dozen plan sets collecting dust under my bed, and at present I'm likely building my last boat.

Concordia...41
12-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Which reminds me, I didn't get the WB magazines in the mail last weekend as promised. I didn't forget, just got sidetracked. Need to finish my Christmas cards this morning, and then I'll look for a box.

-M

outofthenorm
12-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure we need an extra category, but that's just me. I was already planning to offer up several sets of plans I have no need for and I was just going to put them in the Designs section. Seemed logical.

Also, I know I sometimes wonder " if anyone has a spare ... they would part with", but I don't know if there is a correct place for that. That might be a worthy addition - a "Looking for ..." section.

- Norm

michigangeorge
12-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Ok, lets try this. I'm looking for an old style bronze swivel deck block - the type that swivels thru 360 degrees and flops from side to side. 3/8" preferred but could get by with 1/2". I'll pay good $$ for the right block.

rbgarr
12-15-2012, 03:21 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Merriman-Deck-Standing-block-Bronze-/221166249619?hash=item337e892693&item=221166249619&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

outofthenorm
12-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Well, since you asked ... I'm looking for the mounting plate for a Walker Knotmaster Taffrail log. Anyone have one I could buy or copy?

michigangeorge
12-16-2012, 06:40 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Merriman-Deck-Standing-block-Bronze-/221166249619?hash=item337e892693&item=221166249619&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

That is the right base but I'm looking for one with a bronze block RBGARR.

rbgarr
12-16-2012, 09:07 AM
That is the right base but I'm looking for one with a bronze block RBGARR.

I thought that might be the case, and had bookmarked an all bronze one on eBay recently, but it's gone now.

michigangeorge
12-16-2012, 02:12 PM
I thought that might be the case, and had bookmarked an all bronze one on eBay recently, but it's gone now.

Probably the last one I bought :-) I now have one for 3/8" line and one for 1/2". Trying to put together a matched set.