PDA

View Full Version : that was quick... Meli?

Phillip Allen
01-25-2012, 06:22 AM
4 posts and it's gone

WX
01-25-2012, 06:24 AM
If you deleted it meli it was the right move. I like having you around.

Phillip Allen
01-25-2012, 06:24 AM
If you deleted it meli it was the right move. I like having you around.

I didn't see anything bannable... wasn't able to read bigfella's post

seanz
01-25-2012, 06:25 AM
Banned. Pity. You can call someone a pathetic, conniving, sociopath without going all swear-bear.
;)

Phillip Allen
01-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Banned. Pity. You can call someone a pathetic, conniving, sociopath without going all swear-bear.
;)

she must have edited her post... all I saw was the word 'so'

botebum
01-25-2012, 06:27 AM
It says banned under her name.
I opened the thread but all it said was "So".
What did she add to get whacked?
Must have been pretty bad. I don't think I've ever seen Scot up and at it this early.

Doug

Paul Pless
01-25-2012, 06:30 AM
I didn't see anything bannable... Man, you can't drop f-bombs directly on to another forum member. It was suicide by scot - pathetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9sEBBCIZ54

The Bigfella
01-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Maybe he isn't? I suggested she delete the thread. As for what it said, a bunch of pretty distorted perspective and some insults. A whole bunch of people pointed out to her in her attack thread that it was her winding things up.... and she kept at it.

seanz
01-25-2012, 06:33 AM
she must have edited her post... all I saw was the word 'so'

Yep, FWIW.......I'm getting a bit sick of the editing, deleting, amateur dramatics, name calling and games of kiss-chasey.

Paul Pless
01-25-2012, 06:33 AM
Must have been pretty bad. I don't think I've ever seen Scot up and at it this early.

DougScott probably hasn't even had his coffee yet.

seanz
01-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Scott probably hasn't even had his coffee yet.

Ooooohhhh......better be good.
:)

WX
01-25-2012, 06:34 AM
It has to be the fastest ban I've seen. I tried to tell her to delete it but I didn't get time to....poof!
Another woman gone.

Phillip Allen
01-25-2012, 06:35 AM
she must have been refering to the other thread then

The Bigfella
01-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey... what did elf do? I was looking at an old thread and see she's banned.

skuthorp
01-25-2012, 06:37 AM
I imagine he's been watching the exchanges pretty closely. Silly really.

Phillip Allen
01-25-2012, 06:38 AM
really?

The Bigfella
01-25-2012, 06:39 AM
I imagine he's been watching the exchanges pretty closely. Silly really.

I think you'd be hard pressed to come up with examples of "exchanges".

The Bigfella
01-25-2012, 06:40 AM
really?

really

There hasn't been more than one variety of the elf login has there?

skipper68
01-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Well, shes under stress with her Mom, so might be a quick time out will get her mood back in order.:( I'm glad the posts and threads weren't poofed. Thanks Scot, for saving them.

bobbys
01-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Yep, FWIW.......I'm getting a bit sick of the editing, deleting, amateur dramatics, name calling and games of kiss-chasey..

I do not think the State of the Union speech was all that bad...

LeeG
01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

she called all of us menfolk ducks except she spelled it without the u or *. I was banned for calling Donn a duck so there you go, careful what you name it Bigfella

Spin_Drift
01-25-2012, 12:57 PM
I like Meli. She's fun and spunky. Sorry to see her banned. I don't know why or on what thread.

I've seen her and Bigfella get negative at each other. I wish they'd quit doing that as I like them both. Come on and mellow out. No need to have "the last word".

Paul Pless
01-25-2012, 02:14 PM
No need to have "the last 'F-word'".ftfy

Flying Orca
01-25-2012, 02:18 PM
I prefer to be formal and call people Richards. Double-duty when you consider rhyming slang.

Chip-skiff
01-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Meli and Elf banned?

Is there a search-and-destroy mission underway to eliminate all the women from the Forum?

Seems that way.

purri
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Meli and Elf banned?

Is there a search-and-destroy mission underway to eliminate all the women from the Forum?

Seems that way.

I believe the wimmins have been sharing confidences.

The Bigfella
01-25-2012, 11:00 PM
elf and I have never exchanged a harsh word. Paul nailed it w.r.t. Meli. Quite strange really... she kept trying to push more and more buttons and I refused to respond... then she self immolated. The whole thing snowballed out of me thanking her for doing the right thing on another post.

skipper68
01-25-2012, 11:31 PM
I like Meli. She's fun and spunky. Sorry to see her banned. I don't know why or on what thread.

I've seen her and Bigfella get negative at each other. I wish they'd quit doing that as I like them both. Come on and mellow out. No need to have "the last word".
. Don't be saying, the same dirty word I did- and the same opinion with-THAT- word. I was SO politely told the nasty slang. I had to remind the poster, it was a Sticky;)(Giggle);) of the name a WBF member's boat" Spunky", and he might tell the owner the REAL nasty name of his Lovely Lady. Just saying.......

The Bigfella
01-25-2012, 11:38 PM
I'd never say anything to you less than politely, Skip....

skipper68
01-25-2012, 11:42 PM
True.

Spin_Drift
01-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Nothing wrong with "Spunky". It means spirited. Comes from (year) 1786.

WX
01-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Meli and Elf banned?

Seems that way.

Not to mention Allison and Sophie.

skipper68
01-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Nothing wrong with "Spunky". It means spirited. Comes from (year) 1786.Ummm, when I said it, it had a gooey sex mess as the translation.So, to preserve the members instability, I would refrain from THAT word.. And- slang proved it.

purri
01-26-2012, 12:20 AM
It's all smeg to me...

skipper68
01-26-2012, 12:25 AM
It's all smeg to me...The OZ folk!?! DO I need to look THAT up next?? ;)

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Meli and Elf banned?

Seems that way.

What a stupid thing to say.

There's been three women that I've had had interactions with here who try and push various peoples' buttons - and I can think of several people other than me that they've had shots at. Two recent cases both involved the launching of attack threads on me.... and I'm not referring to Meli's "This is going to get me banned" thread. I responded to one with humour and I ignored the other. Apparently I'm supposed to jump up and down and justify their behaviour if they publicly call me a liar. Sorry folks.... trying to claim something multiple times doesn't make it true. In both the recent cases numerous other folks have told the button pushers that they were out of line. Apparently that wasn't what they needed to see.... and they are gone.

So chippy.... show us what you've got to justify your ridiculous claim. Show me where people have been chasing Spinner, Skip, Margo, or any of the many other women on this forum trying to "eliminate all the women from the Forum" Instead of that, maybe you could make a positive contribution?

bobbys
01-26-2012, 12:35 AM
I miss all the goils but it do reinforce my theory woman coincide their moon cycles and go crazy the same time of the month all together..

Course i only notice this cause my wife and daughter are subject to fits of crying and running into the next room and slamming the door..

They only come out to stuff themselves sick with chocolate

So its not scientific or nothing just anthropological observations.

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 12:35 AM
The OZ folk!?! DO I need to look THAT up next?? ;)

I wouldn't bother. Its something he's very well acquainted with.... and you needn't bother with.

purri
01-26-2012, 12:43 AM
The OZ folk!?! DO I need to look THAT up next?? ;)

The poms get it, an aphorism used often on the space novella and TV series Red Dwarf. MW's being all lit crit queen prickly thingy and all girl.

BTW read up on the cast of characters, especially Kriten and "Ace Judas Rimmer". You'll surely wet yerself.

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 12:54 AM
The poms get it, an aphorism used often on the space novella and TV series Red Dwarf. MW's being all lit crit queen prickly thingy and all girl.

Aw, just give us a kiss, sweetie. Let's not get all twisted in your thinking.

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Ian– you seem to be involved in virtually every male-female exchange that leads to banning. So perhaps you could tell us what's going on. You also seem to have set yourself up as the authority on the faults and weaknesses of women both in general and in particular.

I'm not going to characterise you, but will leave you to imagine (I hope in great richness and detail) what I might say.

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Gee.... I'm honoured... Chipper and purri both sniffing my bum and thinking they know all the answers. As for telling you what's going on.... I just did. You've had a couple of forumites who pushed a few buttons and didn't like the lack of response. Why don't you ask Donn, ACB, TD and a few others that they tried pushing buttons with too?

purri
01-26-2012, 01:37 AM
^ Classic passive aggressive behaviour. Hopefully I don't push your button.

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 01:39 AM
Gee.... I'm honoured... Chipper and purri both sniffing my bum.

Not a choice. Pull your pants up, mate.

purri
01-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Gee.... I'm honoured... Chipper and purri both sniffing my bum and thinking they know all the answers. As for telling you what's going on.... I just did. You've had a couple of forumites who pushed a few buttons and didn't like the lack of response. Why don't you ask Donn, ACB, TD and a few others that they tried pushing buttons with too?

Poorly constructed and ambiguous as per. The usual SOP pleadings as an "honest broker" of innerlectual discourse.

BTW how's the inner "lectual" going? Meh.

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 04:08 AM
well anyway, seems i missed all the fun and angst again.
i was too busy on my boat. been caulking the hull of late.
from my point of view, its can sometimes be hard being in the minority woman group here. but for what its worth, i dont give a rats bum about a few of you blokes that spend just about all your life glued to the screen waiting for any opportunity to make smarty pants snide remarks about female brains and behaviour. and i also think a lot of the blokes that post threads and comments about boats and other topics are way dumber than i ever knew anyone could be without knowing if their cerebral cortex is actually wired up to the rest of their brain or not.
i can disagree with anyone, and i have done it in the past and will do so as i see fit in the future. but what puts me in a different category from most of the other women, is that i say what i say, then i move on. even ian would have to agree with that. he knows i dont like some of the stuff he writes but so what. does it really matter in the scheme of things. nope. no way at all. my life doesnt evolve around this forum. and im sure he doesnt care that i dont care. indifference is wonderful.
what annoys me is that the whole bilge thing has disintegrated into a constant bash and trash place.
you are not going to like everyone on here. unfortunately the wbf has not been robust enough in the first place to install a set of posting rules like many other forums do. and secondly, there are no moderators other than scot to take out the garbage bins or warn posters if they step too close to the line. and thirdly, of all the people on here, why cant some of you exercise a little restraint. im sure you would not speak to each other in public, like you do here. i for one, would just get up and walk away if i found someones presence or speech disagreeable.
so come on you lot...smarten yourselves up. boys and girls inlcuded.

Well said.

Bernadette
01-26-2012, 04:24 AM
ian, yeah well i deleted it but you beat me to the trick. no problem.

i have been on homeone forum (its all about houses) and they have extremely strict rules which are kept visible for all to see: reminding people to be polite etc etc.
i just see the way the bilge has gone of late to be a reflection of the lack of respect and good manners exercised by people in general. respect and good manners can encompass agreeing to disagree but this is seldom forthcoming. so silly little snide remarks are generated instead. whatever happened to good solid robust conversations from different parties? whatever happened to intelligent discourse? whatever happened to common decency.
if any person (whether female or male) gets banned for using the nasty word starting with f, then i think they deserve it.
and if someone is having personal troubles and chooses to rant and rage on, in the forum's bilge as their outlet, then they surely need help and i serioulsy doubt if this is the correct place for such help. go and punch a wall instead.
and while im up on my soapbox, dont all you smart people out there see that the fools are the ones that spend a lot of time blabbering away on here instead of leading a real life, so why not leave them to it? i do.

and oh, by the way. im a woman. and im still here.
|:)
bern

Bernadette
01-26-2012, 04:34 AM
and while im on the wind up about the f word and less than favourable posts: i might also suggest that any photographs that appear on the forum that can be considered to be generally rude (like ian with his middle finger stuck up in the air) should also be removed. i find this poor tatse and offensive but i just didnt get around to requesting either ian or scot to remove them. but more to the point, i would think that any self respecting person, man or woman would not post such a picture in the first instance. i know they are commonplace over on the advrider.com forum, but not here. but and this is the tricky part: unless i am prepared to ask either ian or scot to amend the problem as i see it to be, then i leave the matter alone.
i dont make a general remark (until now of course) about the issue in the bilge hoping to start ww3 or to get myself banned.

and oh, i also dont like the lecherous behaviour of some of the blokes that post 'girlie' pics for whatever reason. but, alas, its the same issue as above....
i could start posting pics of half naked men. but hey, what the heck. im just like the rest of the bums that do that sort of thing then, am i not?

Durnik
01-26-2012, 04:43 AM
... she kept trying to push more and more buttons and I refused to respond...

The whole thing snowballed out of me thanking her for doing the right thing on another post.

So, the question is - do you not know you are pushing their buttons - over & over.. or are you pushing them intentionally.. That you are pushing them is not in question - you are - the question is whether or not you are aware..

On the off chance you truly do _not_ know what you are doing,

following someone around the forum 'thanking' them for 'doing the right thing' by 'fixing the wrong thing' is both stalking _and_ broadcasting to the world your opinion that they had done a 'wrong' thing. That _is_ pushing their buttons.. _Hard_

Doing this knowing Meli was stressed from dealing with a sick mother is callous at best - if done intentionally, heinous.

You like to pretend that you have a thick skin (see posts to Chip-skiff & purri above), but with womem (farfalla, Meli), you have a very thin skin.. "She insulted me", & off you go! I'd say there are some serious insecurity issues going on there. I'll also say some, perhaps much, of the rest of the forum would like it if you were to keep those insecurities to yourself.

There are two banning's directly attributable to your actions - & if I were Scot, I might be thinking about that.. I might also be thinking about whether or not I wanted an obvious stalker on the forum.

and lest you wonder, I am not the button pushing kind.. however - I will, when necessary, call a spade a spade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_call_a_spade_a_spade).

You, sir, are despicable.

bobby

Bernadette
01-26-2012, 04:57 AM
bobby
what you say is true. i say this at the risk of becoming embroiled in yet another no win situation.
i am sure scot has been emailed directly on many occassions about the subject matter. and im certain that with a clean up here, the air would smell fresher.
bern

skuthorp
01-26-2012, 04:57 AM
G'day Bernadette, good to hear from you. I have picked out one sentence from #48,
"Whatever happened to good solid robust conversations from different parties? whatever happened to intelligent discourse? whatever happened to common decency."
I think our politicians on both sides of the pond, our 'leaders' have behaved so badly that they have given a sort of permission by example for appalling behaviour. Ad to that the lack of consequences in cyberspace interaction, look at the problems with facebook and bullying, and the 'rights not responsibilities' attitude and it's not surprising at all.

Bernadette
01-26-2012, 05:04 AM
ah rick, the world is rapidly changing. i wish i were born many years before when men were men and women were women. when there were rules which gave us guidance and directions in our lives. when we wernt beset by the multidue of issues we face today. our lives are so very complicated. when we werent so self centered and selfish. when chicken at christmas was a treat. when comedy was funny and not sarcastic. when....

seanz
01-26-2012, 05:09 AM
......children showed respect for their elders and everybody knew their place.

;)

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 05:10 AM
So, the question is - do you not know you are pushing their buttons - over & over.. or are you pushing them intentionally.. That you are pushing them is not in question - you are - the question is whether or not you are aware..

On the off chance you truly do _not_ know what you are doing,

following someone around the forum 'thanking' them for 'doing the right thing' by 'fixing the wrong thing' is both stalking _and_ broadcasting to the world your opinion that they had done a 'wrong' thing. That _is_ pushing their buttons.. _Hard_

Doing this knowing Meli was stressed from dealing with a sick mother is callous at best - if done intentionally, heinous.

You like to pretend that you have a thick skin (see posts to Chip-skiff & purri above), but with womem (farfalla, Meli), you have a very thin skin.. "She insulted me", & off you go! I'd say there are some serious insecurity issues going on there. I'll also say some, perhaps much, of the rest of the forum would like it if you were to keep those insecurities to yourself.

There are two banning's directly attributable to your actions - & if I were Scot, I might be thinking about that.. I might also be thinking about whether or not I wanted an obvious stalker on the forum.

and lest you wonder, I am not the button pushing kind.. however - I will, when necessary, call a spade a spade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_call_a_spade_a_spade).

bobby

What a load of rubbish.

For a start, Meli posted a brief comment about an issue with her mother well afterwards.... you might like to toddle off and check your facts on that one... and if you want to rabbit on about stalking, this post of yours is a prime example of that dark art.

I could, if I chose, post multiple examples of both nominated forumites posting similar abusive comments. Meli's "little brown people" post for example.... a disgusting, racist rant that her adoring lap puppies chose to ignore;

Ian also likes the idea of islands full of worshipfull little brown people that he can impress and gloat over.He does not like sharing anything.
Sorry to put it so crudely but that has been my impression for months now.
All his arguments about anything have but one ultimate driving motive "More for me and bugger anyone else where ever they hail from"

I've never once seen a post where he promotes helping the less fortunate unless there is a payback.

Sorry Ian, but that's my impression and I wont be engaging in discussions with you from here on.

Its just a pity for all concerned she didn't live up to her stated intention.

Sophie's attack thread too....

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?142054-Big-Member-Non!-Big-Joke-Oui!&highlight=Bigfella

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 05:15 AM
and while im on the wind up about the f word and less than favourable posts: i might also suggest that any photographs that appear on the forum that can be considered to be generally rude (like ian with his middle finger stuck up in the air) should also be removed. i find this poor tatse and offensive but i just didnt get around to requesting either ian or scot to remove them. but more to the point, i would think that any self respecting person, man or woman would not post such a picture in the first instance. i know they are commonplace over on the advrider.com forum, but not here. but and this is the tricky part: unless i am prepared to ask either ian or scot to amend the problem as i see it to be, then i leave the matter alone.
i dont make a general remark (until now of course) about the issue in the bilge hoping to start ww3 or to get myself banned.

and oh, i also dont like the lecherous behaviour of some of the blokes that post 'girlie' pics for whatever reason. but, alas, its the same issue as above....
i could start posting pics of half naked men. but hey, what the heck. im just like the rest of the bums that do that sort of thing then, am i not?

A photo with a one finger salute to the cameraman - who was being a PITA is offensive? There's far more offensive stuff than that going on around here every day of the week. Scot booted three days worth of my posts when I re-used that photo out of its original context..... and I haven't re-used it. I'd say that photo was about 5% as offensive as Meli's "little brown people" attack.... especially when taken in conjunction with her comments about her ex

pefjr
01-26-2012, 11:15 AM
I will, when necessary, call a spade a spade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_call_a_spade_a_spade).

bobbyWell, Meli was headed in the direction of a banning the last time I saw her, so I am not very surprised. She used to be so....cool. Women get a lot of attention on this forum , might even say worship. Why does a women come on this forum? Could it be they need attention from a man? They sure do get a lot of manly attention, then when it seems as if the worship is not given properly to these Queens, they react in a suicidal spiral. DTC made in fine as a man, but when DTC changed sex, she quickly sunk like a rock. Interesting. Durnik is caught in the web of the spider. Don't worry Durnik, you have lots of company, Chip- on the shoulder- is right beside you, look over to your right.

Now, elf, I am surprised, very surprised. I ashamed of you elf, but you do have a badge that some admire, wear it proudly for them.

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 03:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/FcKjG.jpg

George Jung
01-26-2012, 03:55 PM
At the risk of pouring a lil' gas on the smouldering embers.... are there really folk here who felt the people who have been banned (men or women) were faultless? Really????

I managed to 'cross' a few of those women - and my perception was they were much more willing to get nasty, and quickly, moreso than any guy I've argued with here. It was
awful. My resolve is to simply avoid those folks who find my company unpleasant; I either ignore, or put on 'ignore', and honestly hope they will do the same. Personally, I'm not here to argue, get nasty, or act in any way other than what I would do in person. I know others feel 'the gloves are off' since it's internet/anonymous. I don't. I'll also say that,
after having one too many such encounters, I had to re-assess how I was presenting myself. And what I found was, I wasn't blameless. That this occurred during a time where family issues were stressors adds some insight (for me) but... really doesn't matter. Using this forum as an avenue for venting bile because 'I'm having a bad day' is inappropriate, I'm sure all will agree.
So.... these 'women' (who knows - 'on the internet, nobody knows you're a dog' cartoon comes to mind) were masters of their own fates, as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't mean everyone who engaged them was blameless.

George Jung
01-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Exactly. Too bad Chuck isn't available to run the ISP numbers....

Chris Coose
01-26-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm out of practice for a while now for identifying it and I can't smell over the computer screen but lots of what I've seen looks to be ginned up. Probably why I've intuitively given it lots of distance.
The anonymity factor is principle in the fire, male and female.

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Nah.... I don't think so. Sure, there's three of them who've all targeted the same guys in order to pick a fight, but there are subtle differences. "X" was malicious, "Y" wasn't. As George did, I re-assessed how I was reacting and, yep, I'd arc up pretty easily at times. As I said... rather than arc up, its better to either ignore them or to react with humour.

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 05:57 PM
I haven't participated in the threads that involved the women in question, but I have read a few of those "discussions". What you say is very true, so true that it strikes me that they may all be the same person coming back and trying to invent new characters. The behavioral similarities are pretty noteworthy. It may well be someONE playing games.

Sorry but I've kept in touch by e-mail with some of these allegedly invented personae, who are in fact rather pleasant women living different lives in different parts of earth. One of the things that strikes me is the way the self-appointed judges and pundits on the Forum rush in to attack and undermine every woman who's been banned.

I'm not going to play gotcha with you, sorry. But I do want you to know you are pretty much the same sort of hysterical, self-righteous mob that used to burn witches.

George Jung
01-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Nah. Most here are pretty decent folk, and for the record - no one is 'rushing in to attack and undermine every woman who's been banned', despite your protestations and spirited defense in those threads. So you've exchanged emails - that tells little, doesn't it? Any of us can have multiple email addys. And perhaps all three of your 'friends' are legit, really, none of us have any means of corroborating this. AFA our discussions - when you have a string of meltdowns such as this, we all do a bit of introspection, wonder about the details of why this has happened. Not a witch hunt; simple curiosity and to some extent, concern.

Bernadette
01-26-2012, 06:17 PM
im going to try to be objective here...

well for starters, im not much good at acronyms, and i cant for the life of me figure out what a lot mean straight up but ians, "seconds since last ocd attack" sure made me smile!

even though it may appear to be a brutish, it still is rather funny i think!

you have to balance out a lot of things on here. and not take a lot of things to heart.

when someone writes something horrible, or nasty, i tend to just go away for awhile and let it die a natural death. and gee, guess what, life goes on without the point scoring rampant in these pages.

as i said before, there are in my opinion a few blokes on here that i disagree with and at times even the nice guys say stuff that makes me cringe.
its as i said before with the less than desirable photos ive seen on here: unless i make a request to the poster or scot to air my grievance, then the matter should be left alone and not bandied about in the discussion.

if anyone is looking to be king of the castle on here, more's the pity to them i say. when the power goes off, so do they....

and i might say also, that you boys are just as entertaining when you throw your little tanties and hiss and spit at each other!!! ive been with groups of men watching the actions and reactions. at times the testosterone was soooo thick, you could cut it with a knife. my goodness, it was so amusing and cute too!!!:d

for the women and men who have been banned, so be it. whether you or i think its right or wrong, means zip all. scot has made the decision and thats final.

come on everyone, lighten up and lets have some fun for a change hey?!

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Nah. Most here are pretty decent folk, and for the record - no one is 'rushing in to attack and undermine every woman who's been banned', despite your protestations and spirited defense in those threads. So you've exchanged emails - that tells little, doesn't it?

When Allison was banned, there were several posts asserting that she had lied about events on the Forum, followed by others claiming that she lied about building a boat, etc., etc.

She's real. She sends me pictures of her build: the plans, the laminated stem, the frames.

Your trumped-up skepticism (decent folk, indeed) is precisely the sort of hard-wired prejudice that upsets me. I'm not going to pursue this, thanks in large part to Bernadette's post. But your idea that I should corroborate my statements, while you are free to let fly as it pleases you is exactly the sort of arrogance that causes this trouble.

Are you real? Why should I believe that? Blood sample? DNA?

Corroborate yourself.

George Jung
01-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't believe I've asked you to corroborate anything. Hard-wired prejudice? Please! Get real.

I'm not asking anything from you, or an explanation. You seem to have come into this with a head of steam, for reasons I don't know, or care to know. Yeah, I think most folk here are decent, and interested in having a bit of fun. A few seem to want to stir things up.

Are you one of those? If so, too bad. I'm done rehashing this issue.

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 07:46 PM
So you've exchanged emails - that tells little, doesn't it? Any of us can have multiple email addys. And perhaps all three of your 'friends' are legit, really, none of us have any means of corroborating this.

- - -

I'm not asking anything from you, or an explanation.

You evidently don't recall your own words for any length of time. Keep shuffling your feet. Maybe you'll learn to stand up someday.

Phillip Allen
01-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Fellas!... this seems to have drifted into the bilge version of mud wrestling

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Fellas!... this seems to have drifted into the bilge version of mud wrestling

Time for you to take over.

Phillip Allen
01-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Time for you to take over.

not me... you guys can have it

pefjr
01-26-2012, 07:54 PM
I think Allison's spirit has taken over.

McMike
01-26-2012, 07:55 PM
;)

I know I'm late to the party but lol @ "swear-bear".

pefjr
01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't believe I've asked you to corroborate anything. Hard-wired prejudice? Please! George, you having fun yet?

Duncan Gibbs
01-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Allison's buying up a fair bit of timber from Mr Sibley and they correspond on the subject. Allison emailed me asking for a détente, which I've granted on a personal, small-steps-at-a-time level. I asked to see her work, suggesting that focusing on wooden boats would be the best balm of all, but I haven't received any reply. More's the shame... I think it's an Alden of some sort.

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Allison emailed me asking for a détente, which I've granted on a personal, small-steps-at-a-time level.

Good on you, Duncan. I've got several photos, but don't think it's right to post them here without her permission.

purri
01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Allison's vessel under construction is a smaller Alden schooner rigged. Abt 34ft from memory AFAIR all framed and last year was part planked..

PeterSibley
01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
When Allison was banned, there were several posts asserting that she had lied about events on the Forum, followed by others claiming that she lied about building a boat, etc., etc.

She's real. She sends me pictures of her build: the plans, the laminated stem, the frames.

Your trumped-up skepticism (decent folk, indeed) is precisely the sort of hard-wired prejudice that upsets me. I'm not going to pursue this, thanks in large part to Bernadette's post. But your idea that I should corroborate my statements, while you are free to let fly as it pleases you is exactly the sort of arrogance that causes this trouble.

Are you real? Why should I believe that? Blood sample? DNA?

Corroborate yourself.

Yep, me too. She's there and doing what she said she would do. Building an Alden schooner.Y>

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Yep, me too. She's there and doing what she said she would do. Building an Alden schooner.Y>

So how are you doing with your fruit dryer? I've got the solar space heater about halfway done.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LuO4wPsVMD0/TyIHWEjDJXI/AAAAAAAAB4s/JTIfd0Utnkk/s600/sunbox.jpg

(photo for corroboration)

Next, I need to pour the keel (yeah, right.)

George Jung
01-26-2012, 09:02 PM
George, you having fun yet?

Yup :d

PeterSibley
01-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Fruit drier ?:D:D Chip, I have to admit that the idea has been washed clean out of my head ! We are flooding here,bridges under water, roads closed, around 20" of rain in the last few days .

I will build one this winter but right now it's stopping rust forming on machines and cleaning drains.:d

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Fruit drier ?:D:D Chip, I have to admit that the idea has been washed clean out of my head ! We are flooding here,bridges under water, roads closed, around 20" of rain in the last few days.

If fate gives you rapids, run them. :D

Duncan Gibbs
01-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I live not far from Peter and here's me on Wednesday saving my stack of silky oak:

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1913/10058894/23839883/400677993.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1913/10058894/23839883/400677996.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1913/10058894/23839883/400677994.jpg

Just call me Uncle Ho!

The Bigfella
01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Just looking at that photo.... I'm thinking "Duncan" is wearing a dress.

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Crikey, Duncan. Have you got bamboo growing on your propitty?

Lucky man.

Shame about the flood.

George Jung
01-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Impressive circling of the wagons. Intriguing, even. I don't believe I've seen a thread redirected so nicely or quickly - ever.

I believe that's a tell.

stevebaby
01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Hey Dunc...that's the best hat I've ever seen.

PeterSibley
01-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Impressive circling of the wagons. Intriguing, even. I don't believe I've seen a thread redirected so nicely or quickly - ever.

I believe that's a tell.

Circling of wagons or just deflating suppositions ?

Larks
01-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Something here reimnds me of the school teacher who was outed as leading a double life on facebook here a few weeks ago, even having some of his family fooled.

Over a reasonable period of time he had convinced everyone that had a high powered job with the Dept of Education, was highly active with charitable organisations, had a number of close celebrity friends and that he was engaged to a police woman.

He then went on to gain sympathy when his fiance was shot during a drug bust gone wrong, described her recovery over a period and then her sudden death from a heart attack in her 20's when on the verge of recovery. He even went as far as to describe her funeral, well wishes from celebrity fiends and so on.

AND he had photos of her to prove it all.......

but it was all a complete fabrication!!! Not a word of it was true and it beacme front page news a few weeks ago when he was found out.

PeterSibley
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
So you reckon all the photos and emails plus timber purchase are BS Greg ....or are you referring to something else ?

Duncan Gibbs
01-26-2012, 10:46 PM
I don't think Allison is spending thousands on Peter's timber to jive us all Greg.

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 11:09 PM
People say there's a country called Australia. But I'm not convinced.

Looking over the sea from the west of New Zealand, all I saw was a bloody great lot of waves.

purri
01-26-2012, 11:18 PM
but you were in Auckland East mite. All tha bros are in Auckland Wist.

Larks
01-26-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't think Allison is spending thousands on Peter's timber to jive us all Greg.

Hey.....I didn't say anything about Alison so don't go implying something into my post (though I've never seen anything from her myself so I wouldn't know), it was just the general discussion that reminded me of our local Walter Mitty.

pefjr
01-26-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't think Allison is spending thousands on Peter's timber to jive us all Greg.Thousands? That's a lot of timber, and it's green. What kind of wood?

stevebaby
01-26-2012, 11:32 PM
I had a few PM conversations with Allison about climbing. She definitely knew her stuff there too.

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 11:35 PM
but you were in Auckland East mite. All tha bros are in Auckland Wist.

Akuanei ngä päkura a Hine-mäkaho keho rawa atu ai i Takauhiroa.

Duncan Gibbs
01-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Hey.....I didn't say anything about Alison so don't go implying something into my post (though I've never seen anything from her myself so I wouldn't know), it was just the general discussion that reminded me of our local Walter Mitty.

Sorry mate, thought you were talking about Allison. I missed the Walter Mitty person.

Bud, all of Peter's timber is well and truly dry

Chip-skiff
01-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Bud, all of Peter's timber is well and truly dry

And so is his sense of humour.

pefjr
01-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Bud, all of Peter's timber is well and truly dryaged dry? you mean logs then. or cut. Just wondering what kind of wood she using.

purri
01-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Baron von Munchausen am Bergsdorf?

PeterSibley
01-27-2012, 12:38 AM
aged dry? you mean logs then. or cut. Just wondering what kind of wood she using.

Dry, spotted gum (e.maculata)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corymbia_maculata in 30 foot lengths 5" x 9/8" dressed two sides. Sufficient to plank a heavy displacement 30 footer .OK ?

purri
01-27-2012, 12:50 AM
^ 30 foot boards! Sheesh that's a lot of stuff if its clear and free of voids! Even then if you only get a few around 25 foot then you're laughing.

FWIW I'd be using the spotted dog to the wind and water and then at the sheer plus two. The deadwood and just a few runs above with turpy and ironbark and the remainder in brown bolly. Jest saying.

Larks
01-27-2012, 01:41 AM
^ 30 foot boards! Sheesh that's a lot of stuff if its clear and free of voids! Even then if you only get a few around 25 foot then you're laughing.

FWIW I'd be using the spotted dog to the wind and water and then at the sheer plus two. The deadwood and just a few runs above with turpy and ironbark and the remainder in brown bolly. Jest saying.

Peter's shed full of timber is truly a place to be envied Rick!

PeterSibley
01-27-2012, 02:01 AM

30 foot they are . Most 5", some 10" or 12" . 2 cubic metres.

Durnik
01-27-2012, 02:13 AM
Well, this thread took off..

I think our politicians on both sides of the pond, our 'leaders' have behaved so badly that they have given a sort of permission by example for appalling behaviour..

Perhaps even 'encouragement'.. Hey Skuthorp, you 'won' the roll of the dice.. have you a topic in mind? I'm thinking MrLeft8's "Childhood fears" is probably an 'advanced' topic..

ah rick, the world is rapidly changing. i wish i were born many years before when..

I'm with you Bernadette.. two hundred years too late.. "A Pirate Looks at Forty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNmULx6sMo4)" always brings a tear to my eyes..

..at the risk of becoming embroiled in yet another no win situation.

my solution to 'embroilment' is simple.. watch the situation.. make a statement.. move on..
and I thank you for your thoughts.

are there really folk here who felt the people who have been banned (men or women) were faultless?

let me rephrase, are there really folk here who think actions exist in a vacuum?
A) stalking, pushing buttons etc are _not_ nice actions.
B) I like to think that George Carlin (7 words you can never say on tv) was correct. It's not the words that are bad. It's the intentions. I find it deplorable that banning is based on a sequence of letters & not on personal behavior.
C) the problem with a "second childhood" is the 8 year old behavior has half a century of experience behind it.. That can make for very not nice.. in a non obvious/hard to tie down way.

I did see your caveat

That doesn't mean everyone who engaged them was blameless
but I feel it is far too simplistic - & at times, completely wrong - to have s/he who falls first carry the brunt of the load.

In all cases, I am reminded of this.. attribution, unknown -
"If a man speak ill of you & it be true, change.. If it be false, laugh".

Peter, your wiki link had this to say about the uses of Corymbia_maculata.. "The hard and durable timber is utilised for a number of purposes." Maybe you could flesh that out? ;-)

& I am glad to hear Allison is doing well on her boat.. She was a bit feisty. Passionate people often are - & vegan's are usually passionate! But she was sharp & her post's were fun.

Bernadette, it's been a while since I stopped by your build thread.. I saw where your dad's doing better, are you & he getting any 'quality time' in the shop? I know, I know.. I should go look up the thread again.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

purri
01-27-2012, 02:35 AM
30 foot they are . Most 5", some 10" or 12" . 2 cubic metres.
2 cubes isn't much (428 super feet per from memory) but if 1/4 sawn with a bandsaw it'd not lose much and take well for the more extreme turns across frames.

Steaming the mongrels and setting 'em up in limited time is another matter best left for a very wet summer. That's why I proposed a variety of species.

PeterSibley
01-27-2012, 03:30 AM
2 cubic metres =848 super feet according to this http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/technical-data-sheets/useful-reckoner-tables

Bernadette
01-27-2012, 03:56 AM
allison will have narrow planks if using 5" stock.

PeterSibley
01-27-2012, 04:03 AM
I'm a happy edge setter .

purri
01-27-2012, 06:04 AM
allison will have narrow planks if using 5" stock.

Selective placement might solve the problem, no?

PeterSibley
01-27-2012, 06:10 AM
4 strakes around the sheer then edge set . I must be a rough bastard but that's what Bud McIntosh recommended too .

Bernadette
01-27-2012, 06:18 AM
what im saying is that, she will need all the height she can get to work her planks up the hull sides. with narrow stock, you have to cut narrow planks. narrow stock = more planks.

oh hang on...im thinking carvel planking. is allison doing strip planking? sounds like it.

PeterSibley
01-27-2012, 06:21 AM
There's a fair amount of wider material too, some 12,10 and 8 inch.

Bernadette
01-27-2012, 06:30 AM
so is she carvel or strip planking?

PeterSibley
01-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Carvel .My understanding anyway .

skipper68
01-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Allison's buying up a fair bit of timber from Mr Sibley and they correspond on the subject. Allison emailed me asking for a détente, which I've granted on a personal, small-steps-at-a-time level. I asked to see her work, suggesting that focusing on wooden boats would be the best balm of all, but I haven't received any reply. More's the shame... I think it's an Alden of some sort. That is good to hear, after your PM to me. :) Yes the A name, which shall not be spoken, is very busy on her boat right now. I'm hoping the bad weather hasn't caused build problems for her.
Interesting. Durnik is caught in the web of the spider. Not sure that was phrased quite right.
For a start, Meli posted a brief comment about an issue with her mother well afterwards.... you might like to toddle off and check your facts on that oneJust because of the time she posted, HERE, she has been under horrid stress with the whole family, but just posted it HERE later. I miss them both, and want them back.:(

purri
01-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Well, this thread took off..

Peter, your wiki link had this to say about the uses of Corymbia_maculata.. "The hard and durable timber is utilised for a number of purposes." Maybe you could flesh that out? ;-)

& I am glad to hear Allison is doing well on her boat.. She was a bit feisty. Passionate people often are - & vegan's are usually passionate! But she was sharp & her post's were fun.

Bernadette, it's been a while since I stopped by your build thread.. I saw where your dad's doing better, are you & he getting any 'quality time' in the shop? I know, I know.. I should go look up the thread again.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

FWIW spotted gum aka spotted dog is a pliant and resinous eucalypt, ideal for steamed ribs and planking where there are significant compound curves involved. I forgot the M2 weight at the usual ECM but i believe it is comparable to oaks (Quercus spp.)

skipper68
01-28-2012, 02:01 AM
We shall mention the A name.

Durnik
01-28-2012, 07:35 PM
For a start, Meli posted a brief comment about an issue with her mother well afterwards.... you might like to toddle off and check your facts on that one

Just because of the time she posted, HERE, she has been under horrid stress with the whole family, but just posted it HERE later. I miss them both, and want them back.

This was presumably Meli's first post back to the forum..

Sorry, just got back from the Hospital. Mum unwell, all ok for the moment
Thanks to Durnik for sorting this all out and the effort

Ok with me if you want to remove the completive element skuthorp is correct, This is just for fun?

I've a 20 sided dice here, how about we just put up the entries in order of posting and I just roll the dice and the number attached to the entry, that poster gets to pick next months subject?

I'll post a poll

true enough, he may have not seen this post till later.. but it matters not.. he pretty much admitted to bullying when he posted an excuse for his actions.. One doesn't 'excuse' what one hasn't done..

Interesting. Durnik is caught in the web of the spider.

Not sure that was phrased quite right.

Skipper, I'm not sure at all what he is thinking.. but, the only place in which I am 'caught' is one where bullies are tolerated & their victims, punished. Why am I reminded of "Mommy, mommy, it all started when she hit me back"!

FWIW spotted gum aka spotted dog is a pliant and resinous eucalypt, ideal for steamed ribs and planking where there are significant compound curves involved. I forgot the M2 weight at the usual ECM but i believe it is comparable to oaks (Quercus spp.)

Thanks, Purri.. I figured it was most likely a good choice as Peter recommends it.. Wiki is created (in part) by ordinary people with special knowledge.. There's a lot of that special knowledge on this forum.. I'm thinking some of it would flesh out a few wiki entries _real_ nice.

We shall mention the A name.

I'm not known for bending to the whims of others.. ;-) FWIW, prior to my original post, I did a fair bit of reading of back threads & found that when trouble flared with Andrew Craig-Bennett, for instance, it seemed to smooth out after a bit.. I guess that's the difference between wanting pleasant dialog & looking to 'keep on digging'.. I have to say that I admire & appreciate the way some folks, such as Andrew Craig-Bennett, TomF & Keith Wilson to name a few, can bring a conversation around to, well, a conversation! I've left more than a few names off of that list, but those set quite an example.

Weather's nice - River maples are blooming & I've been taking the opportunity to catch up on some work - could it be an early spring on the Gulf Coast? ;-)

enjoy
bobby

purri
01-28-2012, 10:08 PM
^Durnik,

Spotted dog is best sourced from Oz where it has particular and significant characteristics due to millennia of firestick farming (leading to uptake of mineral salts). If sourced elsewhere there may be significant differences in hardness.

I'd refer you to an old WB where in Florida Oz paperbarks (Melaleuca spp.) are a pest species and their characteristics are significantly different from the "native born".

Larks
01-28-2012, 10:55 PM
I've never heard of spotted gum being called "spotted dog", are you making that up Rick?. As far as I am concerned, spotted dog is and always has been a sweeter version of damper with currents or raisins in it.

George Jung
01-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Making it up? Nah - no one here would ever stoop to that level.... would they?

purri
01-29-2012, 12:04 AM
2 cubic metres =848 super feet according to this http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/technical-data-sheets/useful-reckoner-tables
Cough, mate I said "per" thus I'm only off 8 super feet at 2 cubes. Just saying

purri
01-29-2012, 12:07 AM
I've never heard of spotted gum being called "spotted dog", are you making that up Rick?. As far as I am concerned, spotted dog is and always has been a sweeter version of damper with currents or raisins in it.

I'd refer you to Bobby Tearne aka "Angry" (ex 18ft fella Aus champ) one who led the revival of the timber "footer" classes. Just saying.

Chip-skiff
01-29-2012, 12:12 AM
I really miss Meli. She was a gift to us on this Forum.

Just sayin'.

Durnik
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM

Just sayin'.

+1

Just sayin'.

McMike
01-29-2012, 12:55 PM

Just sayin'.
+1 :(

Durnik
01-29-2012, 01:08 PM
^Durnik,

Spotted dog is best sourced from Oz where it has particular and significant characteristics due to millennia of firestick farming (leading to uptake of mineral salts). If sourced elsewhere there may be significant differences in hardness.

I'd refer you to an old WB where in Florida Oz paperbarks (Melaleuca spp.) are a pest species and their characteristics are significantly different from the "native born".

Makes sense.. Flora as well as fauna get some of their toughness from their physical environment as well as the nutrient sources.. When 'transplanted' to milder climes &/or different nutrient sources, those 'toughness' attributes are no longer required.

As for different local names.. well, I travel a bit, & enjoy talking with local people.. it is getting purely difficult to keep track of all the various local plant & animal names I've run across. Anybody out there recognize "Grandpa's Whiskers" or "Polecat"? Hint.. they are the same plant - more commonly known by another name - and have nothing to do with boats.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

bobbys
01-29-2012, 01:25 PM

Just sayin'..

I miss Miss Melie but I aian't gonna work on her Farm no More.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0qpjQ7drrg