PDA

View Full Version : Rye Bread In A Breadmaker.

seanz
01-23-2012, 03:52 AM
Any hints?

Just had a fairly impressive failure.....half height loaf with a nice 'cakey' texture in the middle.
It was 2 cups of white + 2 cups of wholemeal rye and the usual sundries.

I'll try again tomorrow with 3 to 1 and see if I can get it to bake properly.

Anybody?

skuthorp
01-23-2012, 04:20 AM
I think that a breadmaker mix is different to one for the oven, if that helps?

seanz
01-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Not much. I don't think I've ever baked bread in an oven. We've been using the breadmaker a lot in the three (or four?) years since we liberated it from storage in the house of "She who has too many appliances....and only uses half of them"....aka my MIL.
First crack at a rye loaf and it looks like it'll be good duck ballast.

Shang
01-23-2012, 07:30 AM
I assume that the white flour you are using is Bread Flour. Bread Flour has more gluten and is different from All Purpose Flour.
A fifty-fifty mix of white flour and rye is too much rye, that's probably what went wrong, rye flour doesn't rise very much, so it makes good boat anchors but not bread. Try a three to one mixture, or even less rye.

Also, the texture of course flours like rye and whole wheat retards rising but this can be overcome by soaking the course flour over night in warm water or milk. Be sure to include the liquid in the total called for in your bread recipe. Also soak any other course ingredients like wheat germ, wheat bran, and such--This makes a lot of difference.

Put the bread machine away and get back to your bread making roots. Look up a good rye recipe on line and follow it closely. Kneed the dough by hand (or if you must go mechanized use a food processor like the KitchenAid, with a dough hook). Give the bread plenty of time to rise. Paint the top of the loaf with milk or thinned egg white, sprinkle dry oatmeal and flour on it, then bake it in the oven.

RFNK
01-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Try a different approach. Complain about Germans and Russians tramping all over your land. Say 'ja, ja' quite a lot and express a wish to be in America. Then try the recipe again.
Rick

Shang
01-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Notice that this recipe calls for only one quarter cup of rye flour, and five cups of white bread flour.

SWEDISH RYE BREAD
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1 cup milk
1 cup water
3 tbsp. butter
1 1/4 cups rye flour
2 pkg. active dry yeast
5 cups white bread flour
3 tbsp. caraway seeds (optional)

Combine sugar, salt, melted butter, rye flour, molasses and honey in a large mixing bowl.

Dissolve yeast in 2 tbsp. lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.

Scald the milk and water; pour gradually over ingredients. Mix well.

Let cool to lukewarm and add the dissolved yeast.

Knead in 5 cups white flour and work in the caraway seeds (if using). Let rise until doubled in size.

Form into loaves and place into greased bread pans, or form into a round and place on baking sheets (cut an X across the center for rounds).

Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm, draft-free place to rise until double in size.

Bake in a 250F oven for 90 minutes, then at 300F for 15 minutes, or until loaf is browned and sounds hollow when the bottom is tapped.

Canoez
01-23-2012, 08:40 AM
A second on the gluten. I know for the Wheat bread made in the machine they suggest adding wheat gluten to the mixture to help it rise.

I found this recipe (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/uncle-wynns-bread-machine-rye/) for rye bread which calls for the stuff.

Captain Intrepid
01-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Yep, gotta add additional gluten. And I'll second the suggestion to knead by hand, rye is a much more fragile dough than white. You can do pretty much whatever you want to white and it'll still rise decently. I've made a batch (close on 100 pounds) of white bread with twice as much flour as necessary and it mixed for about 5 minutes before I realized. I was still able to save it by carefully adding more water, salt, oil, yeast, improver, gluten, and mixing the crap out of it.

Todd D
01-23-2012, 09:20 AM
My wife has been baking all sorts of bread in her bread machine for the last 15 years. She says that you can use up to 2 cups rye to 2 cups white flour or 1.5 cups pumpernickel to 2.5 cups of white (or 2 cups white 1/2 cup whole wheat). It comes out quite nicely.

bobbys
01-23-2012, 11:58 AM
My light rye comes out very well.

3/4 cup water.

1 and1/2 cups of white flour.

1/2 cup of rye flour.

1 and 1/2 Tbsp sugar.

3/4 tsp salt.

3/4 tbsp butter.

2 tsp cornmeal.

1 tsp caraway seeds.

1 and 1/4 tsp yeast.

I put the yeast in warm water first but found i need to tweek the recipe , Maybe cause its so damp here and im at sea level so i use less water and more yeast