PDA

View Full Version : Reality TV

cs
01-18-2012, 09:44 PM
And no I'm not talking about shows like Big Brother or Jersey Shore, but more of the shows like American Chopper, Ax Men, Sons of Guns, Storage Wars and Pawn Stars, those type shoes.

I like watching these types of shows, gives me a little insight into these particular fields, and I find it rather interesting. You know to each his own. But I have noticed that they really overplay the drama. I guess it makes for "good" TV, but I do find that there seems to be more drama there then I find in real life.

Chad

seanz
01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
but I do find that there seems to be more drama there then I find in real life.

"Reality TV" is an oxymoron.

GregH
01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
The use of the word "reality" in conjunction with TV is so absurd - it defies any actual/accurate definition of the word.

Blowtorch
01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
the only one I can stand is Gold Rush. I know half of it is posed and staged but Im still hooked.

Waddie
01-19-2012, 01:22 AM
I think they follow the most ill-suited, ill-prepared groups of people they can find for these shows. A competent gold mining operation would be boring. Same with Ice Road Truckers. Competent truckers wouldn't be entertaining.

regards,
Waddie

cs
01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I think you may have a point there. Take for example on Ax Men, there is this guy named Shelby that logs the swamps. You can tell that he hams it up for the camera, but really he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. Last year he turned over his "log dawg" and also drove his swamp buggy over his trailer and already this year he has destroyed a dock and boat house trying to recover a log.

But then again some of these guys seem to know what they are doing despite the drama. On Sons of Guns, Red Jacket Firearms has created an AR-15 which is piston operated. It takes the best from the AR-15 and the AK-47 to make an AR-15 that can handle the rough and dirty conditions. I'm really interested in how well this stands up.

Chad

Hunky Dory
01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
The closest show to reality so far was the lobster wars show but it didn't last without people arguing and doing stupid stuff. Not enough drama. Without the drama they are documentorys

ccmanuals
01-19-2012, 05:31 PM
On Spike TV, check it out,

http://www.spike.com/shows/bar-rescue