PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Tax Rate

Paul Pless
01-18-2012, 11:21 AM
What'd y'all reckon it is on the majority of his income?

switters
01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
I hate to C&P huffpoo, but it was the one I remember reading about the Obamas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/18/obama-taxes-income_n_850649.html

25% ish taxes, 15% ish charities.

Paul Pless
01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Make no mistake, Obama is a 'one percenter' and has been for quite a while. . .

wardd
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Make no mistake, Obama is a 'one percenter' and has been for a long time. . .

doesn't being president do that?

Paul Pless
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Only since 1995Only?? Only seventeen years? Only a third of his life??

Don't you think it'd be fair to say that well before 1995 he assumed the sense of entitlement and privilege that only well to do Americans that don't have to worry about the financial safety of his family or his future or his retirement do? Dude is oblivious to the trials of middle America?:d

wardd
01-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Only?? Only seventeen years? Only a third of his life??

Don't you think it'd be fair to say that well before 1995 he assumed the sense of entitlement and privilege that only well to do Americans that don't have to worry about the financial safety of his family or his future or his retirement do? Dude is oblivious to the trials of middle America?:d

yer right, ever since his birth certificate was forged some 50 years ago

Paul Pless
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Compared to who, or what? I'm just applying a common complaint that you have against wealthy Republicans, in the same way against a rather popular (in some circles) progressive.:d

Paul Pless
01-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Are you implying that Romney is dishonest due to the nature of his wealth, or that he doesn't have a solid and committed work ethic?

Paul Pless
01-18-2012, 12:21 PM
You almost continuously disparage him for being wealthy or at least base your disparagement of him on his wealth. . .

Paul Girouard
01-18-2012, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Norman Bernstein;3273968]

I make no complaints against honest people whose wealth is a function of their own hard work,

))))

Connect the dots.

Gerarddm
01-18-2012, 12:45 PM

Right. Here was a guy brought up by a not-well-to-do mother and grandparents, so where you think his sense of entitlement comes from is beyond comprehension.

Obama's assets are mainly from his book royalties. More power to him.

Romney's assets are mainly from leveraged buyouts. An article in the new Bloomberg Business Week points out that they are neither bad nor good with points either way. The salient point, though, that Romney tries desperately to obfuscate, is that the point of a leveraged buyout firm is NOT to create jobs, and NOT even to reward company shareholders; it is to make themselves oodles of money, no matter what the downstream effects of their actions. Period.

I don't think anybody fair is against people legitimately making money, even a lot of it; it is the lack of concern for downstream effects that sticks in the craw. It is the ultimate "I'm all right, Jack" ethos, writ large.

Bob Dylan observed that "money doesn't talk, it swears". How true.

switters
01-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Devils advocate here, did writing a book create more or less jobs than venture capitalism?

Bobcat
01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Jack London referred to inherited wealth in the Sea Wolf as "standing on a dead man's legs."

I have no doubt that Romney works hard and is an honest man. But it's a lot easier to amass a fortune of millions (or tens of millions) when you come from a wealthy connected family.

Party affliation is not an issue here. Clinton and Obama came from poor back grounds as did Nixon and Reagan. The Bushes, Kerry, Gore and Romeny had wealth presented to them by birth or marriage

Bobcat
01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Devils advocate here, did writing a book create more or less jobs than venture capitalism?

Probably less, but you don't know. Book writing is not job creation. Venture capital investing can be, but isn't always

wardd
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
"Ordinary working slobs" can't afford Yale.

He attended Columbia and Harvard. Those schools are richly endowed Ivy Leagueschools that provide scholarships to their students who need them and students can obtain loans to cover costs not covered by scholarships. Obama obtained scholarships and loans to pay for his education.

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=heb&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&safe=off&site=webhp&sa=X&ei=9wYXT8XFOMTh0QHw_4n6Ag&ved=0CCcQvwUoAQ&q=obama+yale+scholarship&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=202c716ad1e48c82&ion=1&biw=1280&bih=839

Paul Pless
01-18-2012, 12:58 PM
the venture capitalists did no creation, they just controlled the purse stringsThey took risks, they had a vision.

peb
01-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Norman, do me a favor, and explain how the carried interest loophole works. I think I understand it, but based on your comments, I suspect we have different understandings. I will do some research of my own in the meantime.

peb
01-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Got it, I will try to respond tomorrow, I am out of time for the day. Sorry for the request and then to leave you hanging. Thanks for the explanation.

BA.Barcolounger
01-18-2012, 03:34 PM
They took risks, they had a vision.

No personal risk.

They place other people's money at risk. If they fail, their buddies on the Board of Directors give them a nice golden parachute, while they are set up by their other buddies on some other corporation's Board of Directors to become their CEO.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
You almost continuously disparage him for being wealthy or at least base your disparagement of him on his wealth. . .

Look, dude, if Romey gets elected he will be the RICHEST president we have ever had and by a large margin. The media guesses at $250 million. It could be twice that. He is the son of a multi- millionare. He went only to the best schools and attended for many years. He has two graduate degrees. He must have been out of th workfoece until he was about 28 years old. He built up his personal fortune fast. He's Richie Rich in spades.
He has a right to run for president but he doesn't have a right to masquerade as Joe Cornpone. The United States needs him like it needs another bunghole.

Blowtorch
01-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Don't you think it'd be fair to say that BLAGH BLAGH BLAGHNo. I think itd be fair to say that you asked a really loaded question that shows your Hate of the Pres. and of America.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
What'd y'all reckon it is on the majority of his income?

what's the fun in it? The president is an absolute peon compared to Willard Romney. Willard has concealed his wealth and any related info till now but he could be worth close to $500 million. That may be chump change to you on the right but to us neo-serfs Willard is a guy we wouldn't want to work for.

ccmanuals
01-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Wait till we found out how much money he has squirreled away in the cayman islands. Then is will get interesting. :)

ccmanuals
01-18-2012, 11:11 PM
I can guarantee Romney won't release any returns prior to 2011. Want to know why?

Paul Pless
01-19-2012, 05:11 AM
No. I think itd be fair to say that you asked a really loaded question that shows your Hate of the Pres. and of America.I don't hate Obama. I just thought I'd follow the example of my friend Norman and see what entertainment and fun I could get out of a political discussion.:d

BA.Barcolounger
01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
I can guarantee Romney won't release any returns prior to 2011. Want to know why?

Because his team is busy writing his 2011 returns.

He cannot rewrite the older ones.