• Show
Clear All
  • Gerarddm
    #RESIST
    • Feb 2010

Andrew Sullivan nails last night's South Carolina Republican debate

Here's the last few live blog comments:

Fox SC Debate
    11.05 pm. Frank Luntz just gave us the quote of the night, as explosions - fireworks? - boom around the convention center. "It sounds like Fort Sumter out there."
    It sure did. All night.

10.58 pm. I'm not sure what to say about this evening, except I want to take a shower. I've rarely been repulsed by the atmosphere of a debate as I was tonight. But this is the Republican core of South Carolina. One of the biggest applause lines was about waging war on the federal government. I suspect that if any Latinos or African-Americans were watching this, Obama's support just jumped.

From my perspective, Romney was cringe-inducing, shudder-worthy, and plastic beyond measure. I suspect he's going to try and rig this year's tax returns to hide his far lower rate of taxation and far, far, far higher income than 99.999 percent of the population. It was a weak answer.

We also had a strong endorsement of child labor, largely for African-Americans. I suspect that Santorum helped himself tonight, as did Perry a mite. Gingrich also showed his ability to reach the Southern vote, and Romney tried to fake it. Gingrich's diatribe about blacks getting paychecks rather than food stamps earned him a standing ovation.

I still have some strange feeling that Romney is in trouble in this state. I'd be a fool to analyze this debate or its impact in South Carolina. But Newt's solid racial dog whistles and constant support for violence and hatred of "elites" may well help him a lot.
    Meanwhile, a Mental Health Break - because we all need one after that:

10.56 pm. Hilarious: Fox's twitter feed shows a huge night for Ron Paul. Go Paulites. Romney is getting horrible, awful, dreadful reviews from the twitterverse. Gingrich got huge points on race. How will Fox handle the Paul success and Romney failure? Ignore it.

10.52 pm. Another discussion of No Child Left Behind with no mention at all of its architect, George W. Bush. In fact, I think it's an amazing thing that over 16 debates, the last Republican president has gone unnamed. He doesn't exist. If he did, they might have to think about what went wrong. But then they couldn't blame the entire recession and debt on Obama!

10.50 pm. A fact! Illegal immigration is at a 40-year low. Perry "blames" that on - who else? - Obama. And still wants a new Great Wall Of America and troops to keep all those loathesome Mexican grandparents out.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

Re: Andrew Sullivan nails last night's South Carolina Republican debate

I watched the debate. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Romney was asked about his tax records, but managed to survive with an "I'll probably" release them in April.

I think you'll all enjoy Colbert's super pac ad: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...mney-attack-ad
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• John Smith
      • Mar 2009

What pisses me off (I hope I can say that here) is the questioning in what we call "debates". Someone needs to ask "how" a candidate plans on doing something he says he'll do. Romney needed to be pressed for a definitive answer on his taxes.

It would be nice once in a while if one questioner asked, "Why don't you answer the previous question?" rather than going on to a new subject.
      "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• Jim Bow
        Still tender and callow f
        • Jul 2008

I have just got to get on board with this stuff. I thought Andrew Sullivan was the loud Australian guy who took over pitching TV products after Billy Mays died.
        “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

Working...