PDA

View Full Version : Clyde America visits Magnuson Dog Park.

Yeadon
01-14-2012, 07:42 PM
http://youtu.be/OeGiJcsrJPs

He's grown a lot over the last year. He's almost a year old!

In the photo below, he here is awaiting processing into the household. That's him with all his belongings. He was seven weeks old.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5178/5515464450_7158f065cc_z.jpg

He's since learned to sail.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5110/5649434647_265360b089_z.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6021/5973028660_f3acb0e13a_z.jpg
(I believe that's Wizbang in the background ... eatin' Clyde's dust.)

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6023/5991902644_535fb2aced_z.jpg
He's gone on a few roadtrips.

... and even had a hipster phase.
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6200/6027110550_680bf5866c_z.jpg

Looking forward to another year.

Yeadon
01-14-2012, 07:44 PM
http://youtu.be/BDj2IUHuiJo
Can't forget this one, either.

BrianW
01-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Very cute pup! It's amazing how long his snout got in one year.

That's another lucky dog!

David G
01-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Please do NOT ever have children. WBF cannot afford the bandwidth! <G>

Yeadon
01-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Please do NOT ever have children. WBF cannot afford the bandwidth! <G>

What are you talking about? I have two boys, Magnus, 8, and Pavel, 11. I would never put them on WBF. Too dangerous. But Clyde America, hell ya!

David G
01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
What are you talking about? I have two boys, Magus, 8, and Pavel, 11. I would never put them on WBF. Too dangerous. But Clyde America, hell ya!

Well, THAT'S a relief! So all those snide pencil-lead comments from certain faux Irishmen are so much persiflage, eh?

pcford
01-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Well, THAT'S a relief! So all those snide pencil-lead comments from certain faux Irishmen are so much persiflage, eh?

oh, I wouldn't say that.

David G
01-14-2012, 09:49 PM

oh, I wouldn't say that.

I see... and those invidious insinuations about a perhaps too close relationship amongst certain sail/oar types? ;)

Yeadon
01-14-2012, 09:53 PM
I see... and those invidious insinuations about a perhaps too close relationship amongst certain sail/oar types? ;)

You lake sailors could never understand.

Canoeyawl
01-14-2012, 10:53 PM
A great image...

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6021/5973028660_f3acb0e13a_z.jpg

Yeadon
01-15-2012, 01:22 AM
My eldest boy, Pavel, took this one of Clyde and I earlier tonight in the living room.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6699320581_235099d865_z.jpg

bobbys
01-15-2012, 01:56 AM
My eldest boy, Pavel, took this one of Clyde and I earlier tonight in the living room.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6699320581_235099d865_z.jpg.

I see so you HAD help answering all those Questions..

You Fraud!

pcford
01-15-2012, 02:00 AM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! "...this one of Clyde and I..." NOW WOULD YOU SAY "this one of I..."? WELL, WOULD YOU?...DO NOT EVER USE THE NOMINATIVE WHERE THE OBJECTIVE CASE SHOULD BE USED!!!!!
Dude, I hate to go all Donn on you but this kind of stuff cannot be repeated. This is your last warning.

Canoeyawl
01-15-2012, 02:02 AM
And - you let your dog get on the couch!!!
Oh-Oh...

David G
01-15-2012, 02:16 AM

I see so you HAD help answering all those Questions..

You Fraud!

Oh come now! Even you must have realized that all that brilliance could not possibly reside solely in the dome of one flannel-shirted, ClarkKent-spectacled Bilge Rat!

David G
01-15-2012, 02:18 AM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! "...this one of Clyde and I..." NOW WOULD YOU SAY "this one of I..."? WELL, WOULD YOU?...DO NOT EVER USE THE NOMINATIVE WHERE THE OBJECTIVE CASE SHOULD BE USED!!!!!
Dude, I hate to go all Donn on you but this kind of stuff cannot be repeated. This is your last warning.

I don't believe there is any way that the Yeadonator CAN be objective about Clyde. I think he's COMPELLED to nominate the pup for something... maybe BilgeMascot.

(this message brought to you by the American Man Dog Love Society)

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
01-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Sometimes the humans throw the tennis balls too far and the dog doesn't get them and they float away. I find them later. If you hold them up to your ear you can hear dogs barking.

Gerarddm
01-15-2012, 12:09 PM
He sure looks happy on that boat. Mondo cane, indeed. ;-)

Yeadon
01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Sometimes the humans throw the tennis balls too far and the dog doesn't get them and they float away. I find them later. If you hold them up to your ear you can hear dogs barking.

After a week or so of South winds, the north end of Lake Washington is usually mined with tennis balls from the dog park. You can sail around and scoop them up.

Next time I'll hold one up to my ear.

pcford
01-15-2012, 01:16 PM
yeadon, I demand to see some sign of contrition in regard to your grievous error.
I don't want to see this just swept under the rug.

James McMullen
01-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a fun excuse to rig up a seine net and go tennis ball trawling under sail.

Yeadon
01-15-2012, 01:22 PM
yeadon, I demand to see some sign of contrition in regard to your grievous error.
I don't want to see this just swept under the rug.

I understand you're visually impaired, but that weird display of random point size let me know you didn't really expect (deserve) an answer. Keep it up and you'll soon become the comic sans of bilge rat boatwrights.

bobbys
01-15-2012, 02:12 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-npCp5sthtwE/TxLaFFqFCII/AAAAAAABUFE/wRO8s6O2hc8/s400/image004.jpg

pcford
01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
I understand you're visually impaired, but that weird display of random point size let me know you didn't really expect (deserve) an answer. Keep it up and you'll soon become the comic sans of bilge rat boatwrights.

Comic Sans, that's pretty funny, yeadon. Typography happens to be an area of interest for me.1 Long, long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and puppy dogs were the oldest things around, I was an undergraduate at the University of California. The cultural offerings there were a groaning feast board of variety and richness.

(Now, I know, a degree from the University of California is not any big deal compared to the places some of our WBF colleagues have attended. On the other hand, if you examine the amount of foolish nonsense a certain member who purports to possess an Oxbridge education was able to spew on a subject of some notoriety, one could wonder that such an education should be so highly valued.)

But back to the subject at hand: While at UC I took advantage of the banquet board before me and attended a talk on Swiss typography...It was somewhat interesting, but my main thought was that people get interested in some darned arcane detail....Fast forward to a couple years ago and I had developed an interest in typography and I went to a showing of the film Helvetica. This was about the development of the now ubiquitous typeface Helvetica. And it was, as the name suggests, developed in Switzerland.

At the talk before the film the presenters asked the group (which was composed largely of design geeks) about favorite fonts. A couple people mentioned Comic Sans. The more knowledgeable mumbled in embarrassment; Comic Sans is treated with total disdain by anyone with a lick of typographical sense. It is the nadir of the art and craft of typography.

(I note with some amusement, on David Pratt's recent thread relating to web typography, a couple people mentioned Comic Sans as their favorite font. They humiliated themselves and yet do not realize it.)

So, yes, I am offended by your comparison with me1 and Comic Sans.

I am surprised that you take up a hillbilly misuse of the language...God knows one see plenty of that here. However, I am surprised to see it from some that announces himself as a professional writer. And yes, my sense of surprise and disappointment did lead me to express myself typographically. I just want you to admit your mistake. Let's not let this go on forever, like the certain Englishman's refusal to admit the error of his ways.

1 Please note I used the objective case here. And when it is a compound object, for example, "He gave it to Mike and me...." the use of the nominative "I" is truly lamentable.

For more information on the wonderful subject of typography, please see http://ilovetypography.com/

David G
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Here I must object.

While I perfectly aware of the disdain with which Comic Sans is regarded amongst the literati... I am cheered by its existence. It is a friendly, cheerful, unpretentious little font, and I, for one, shall continue to use it... joyfully!

pcford
01-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Here I must object.

While I perfectly aware of the disdain with which Comic Sans is regarded amongst the literati... I am cheered by its existence. It is a friendly, cheerful, unpretentious little font, and I, for one, shall continue to use it... joyfully!

your judgment furnishes its own punishment.

David G
01-15-2012, 04:59 PM
your judgment furnishes its own punishment.

Au contraire, mon ami!

You may sniff. You may peer down your pug/faux-Irish nose. But you shall not dampen my enthusiasm for this little treat of a font.

Now... who's having more fun - you with your sniffing, or me with my joyous acceptance of the absurdly plebeian as part of the potpourri of life?

pcford
01-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Au contraire, mon ami!

You may sniff. You may peer down your pug/faux-Irish nose. But you shall not dampen my enthusiasm for this little treat of a font.

Now... who's having more fun - you with your sniffing, or me with my joyous acceptance of the absurdly plebeian as part of the potpourri of life?

yeh, yeh, yeh. Where's yeadon? Hiding?

Lew Barrett
01-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Cute dog; nothing beats Lab or Golden pups for adorable........me thinks! (that ought to add fuel!)

David G
01-15-2012, 05:20 PM

But of course. When the big dogs run, he's smart enough to stay on the porch. Woof!

Yeadon
01-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Comic Sans, that's pretty funny, yeadon. Typography happens to be an area of interest for me.1 Long, long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and puppy dogs were the oldest things around, I was an undergraduate at the University of California. The cultural offerings there were a groaning feast board of variety and richness.

(Now, I know, a degree from the University of California is not any big deal compared to the places some of our WBF colleagues have attended. On the other hand, if you examine the amount of foolish nonsense a certain member who purports to possess an Oxbridge education was able to spew on a subject of some notoriety, one could wonder that such an education should be so highly valued.)

But back to the subject at hand: While at UC I took advantage of the banquet board before me and attended a talk on Swiss typography...It was somewhat interesting, but my main thought was that people get interested in some darned arcane detail....Fast forward to a couple years ago and I had developed an interest in typography and I went to a showing of the film Helvetica. This was about the development of the now ubiquitous typeface Helvetica. And it was, as the name suggests, developed in Switzerland.

At the talk before the film the presenters asked the group (which was composed largely of design geeks) about favorite fonts. A couple people mentioned Comic Sans. The more knowledgeable mumbled in embarrassment; Comic Sans is treated with total disdain by anyone with a lick of typographical sense. It is the nadir of the art and craft of typography.

(I note with some amusement, on David Pratt's recent thread relating to web typography, a couple people mentioned Comic Sans as their favorite font. They humiliated themselves and yet do not realize it.)

So, yes, I am offended by your comparison with me1 and Comic Sans.

I am surprised that you take up a hillbilly misuse of the language...God knows one see plenty of that here. However, I am surprised to see it from some that announces himself as a professional writer. And yes, my sense of surprise and disappointment did lead me to express myself typographically. I just want you to admit your mistake. Let's not let this go on forever, like the certain Englishman's refusal to admit the error of his ways.

1 Please note I used the objective case here. And when it is a compound object, for example, "He gave it to Mike and me...." the use of the nominative "I" is truly lamentable.

For more information on the wonderful subject of typography, please see http://ilovetypography.com/

I spy two typos. (Most likely due to "fat fingers.") But unlike you and your shadow mentor, Donn, I wouldn't bother pointing out your errors. I've always excelled at generating ideas, rather than worry about executing trivia. That's probably a better description of what I do ... versus your term, "writer." Anyways, back when I freelanced as a copywriter, I had a gal for that sort of stuff. Now I've got you!

I smell ... an internet addiction!

But of course. When the big dogs run, he's smart enough to stay on the porch. Woof!

Times two!

David G
01-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Yeadonator - don't make fun of my internet addiction. It's one of the few things I can actually DO while I go thru the cancer crap. I figured another gratuitous poke at your (cleverly hidden) macho side would help propel you back into the fray! <G>

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
01-16-2012, 03:30 AM
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6200/6027110550_680bf5866c_z.jpg

The old Ford sat at the curb, classic and unapologetic. Deep down, it knew its style, its time, had passed. And yet it held its ground, unwavering, unnoticed. The new, less structured, less formal, less ordered world swirled around it, as it stood planted, fixed in time. Weeds grew in what was once manicured lawn. The erosion of standards, like the rust in the backbone of a fine building, slowly ate away at the structure and foundation of what was once a society of ambition and effort, replaced by the sloth of what was easy, what was expedient.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
01-16-2012, 06:46 AM
http://vimeo.com/17450666

(Actually I'm a Times New Roman man myself.)

From Wiki:

In 2011, one of Google's April Fool's Day jokes centered around the use of Helvetica. If a user attempted to search for the term "Helvetica" using the search engine the results would be displayed in the font Comic Sans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Sans).

Yeadon
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeadonator - don't make fun of my internet addiction. It's one of the few things I can actually DO while I go thru the cancer crap. I figured another gratuitous poke at your (cleverly hidden) macho side would help propel you back into the fray! <G>

Okay, you're excused. Excellent excuse. But as far as the churlish pcford, I dunno ...

David G
01-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Okay, you're excused. Excellent excuse. But as far as the churlish pcford, I dunno ...

Paddy is NOT a churl. He just plays one on the internet. In truth, that gruff, prickly exterior is nothing more than an attempt to hide a heart that is so pure, so sweet, and so full of love and light... that it almost doesn't belong on this coarse earthly plane.

pcford
01-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Paddy is NOT a churl. He just plays one on the internet. In truth, that gruff, prickly exterior is nothing more than an attempt to hide a heart that is so pure, so sweet, and so full of love and light... that it almost doesn't belong on this coarse earthly plane.

You are precisely correct, sir.

And there is one more thing I wonder about: why does yeadon have to be such a sore loser?

BBSebens
01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Cute dog; nothing beats Lab or Golden pups for adorable........me thinks! (that ought to add fuel!)

Ill take that up

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/207306_1008426214049_1326750179_1092204_9095_n.jpg

My dog Quincy at 9 weeks. He is a Hungarian Vizsla.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/305148_2035832898574_1326750179_2769303_1067213194 _n.jpg

Quincy now, 3 1/2 years old.

Maybe Im biased, but Quincy is much more handsome than Clyde. :D

Oh, and I'll take Garamond ​please.

Yeadon
01-16-2012, 03:58 PM

And there is one more thing I wonder about: why does yeadon have to be such a sore loser?

You don't get any leash.

David G
01-16-2012, 05:53 PM

Oh... I don't think Yeadon is sore. From what I gather, he's always walked that way <G>

pcford
01-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Welcome to the party, donn...I see you noticed your name was invoked...Are you still forming plurals by using an apostrophe?...we should not do that, donn.

By the way...has anyone seen a picture of donn? I imagine him as not having humanoid morphology...some skittering creature is more likely...probably some variety of arachnid.

James McMullen
01-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I've seen it. Don't you dare post something as horrible and frightening as that or I'm mashing the button on you!

Yeadon
01-17-2012, 12:36 AM
I think donn was using his name as a search term. That's how he ended up here. Best guess.

pcford
01-17-2012, 12:46 AM
I think donn was using his name as a search term. That's how he ended up here. Best guess.

Yes, I suppose. Those of us in the marketing business know how important it is to protect the brand.

(mindboggler: the donn brand)

I, Rowboat
01-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Tim --

I just ate a pork chop with more juicy tenderness and flavor than that damn dog of yours will ever have. What does Mr. C. America have to say about that, huh? Bring it, chump!

Yeadon
01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Enjoy that fatty heart, you pale, aging, four-flushing (mc)chump.

James McMullen
01-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Umm. . .you really ought to specify just which one of the McMullen brothers you're referring to there, Tim, so I know whether or not to take grave personal offense. But as long as you meant Chad, then yes, I wholeheartedly agree.

David G
01-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Umm. . .you really ought to specify just which one of the McMullen brothers you're referring to there, Tim, so I know whether or not to take grave personal offense. But as long as you meant Chad, then yes, I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm almost positive he meant the udder brudder. I would have sworn it was true. Don't tell me I'm wrong. If I'm wrong about this... what else have I been wrong about in my life? What about the Beatitude of Bacon?

Yeadon
01-19-2012, 12:03 AM

I'm talking about McRowboat. Thank you for your note.

James McMullen
01-19-2012, 12:07 AM
By the way, did you get much snow? How did Clyde like it? My own two dogs were busy impersonating Yetis all day long. They didn't ever want to have to come in.

Yeadon
01-19-2012, 01:22 AM
http://youtu.be/avN1OwU47MY

I, Rowboat
01-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Aww -- isn't that cute: City-folk taking up small-scale animal husbandry. Tim, if you run that dog around too much he'll get tough and stringy. You'll fetch a better price for him if he's still tender and without too much dark meat. Also, I understand that the "localvore" foodie urban-types are also really into being told fantasies about what a great life their food had. Have you worked up Clyde's curriculum vitae -- plenty of violin concertos, chasing ducks at Green Lake, trips to the library. Perhaps you could suggest a wine pairing.

TomF
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Aww -- isn't that cute: City-folk taking up small-scale animal husbandry. Tim, if you run that dog around too much he'll get tough and stringy. You'll fetch a better price for him if he's still tender and without too much dark meat. Also, I understand that the "localvore" foodie urban-types are also really into being told fantasies about what a great life their food had. Have you worked up Clyde's curriculum vitae -- plenty of violin concertos, chasing ducks at Green Lake, trips to the library. Perhaps you could suggest a wine pairing.Maybe an unpretentious but well made Washington Pinot? Something with hints of raspberries, truffles, and tarry bass notes. The dog's not old enough to warrant a really oaky Cab.

I, Rowboat
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
As I recall, all well-made Washington Pinots are made in Oregon instead. A WA Cab Sav might suffice, thought I suspect only a crock-pot and a dry Porto can reclaim young Master America if this snow storm continues.

Yeadon
01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Mr. McRowboat, I understand that you've been living off the grid for a while in Kitsap County, but has it come to this? Dogs on the bbq? Anyways, I always understood your love for dogs to be, well, more *biblical*. Or as we've come to call it ... *santorum*.

I, Rowboat
01-19-2012, 12:46 PM
How dare you impugn our way of life here in Kitsappalachia! This is where the Real America(tm) is! You damn high-falutin' Easterners with you iPads and your toiletries and your soy de-cappucinos have lost The Way. All y'all'll be buying your commie-rations in Euros and speaking French at the rate things are going.

TomF
01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
How dare you impugn our way of life here in Kitsappalachia! This is where the Real America(tm) is! You damn high-falutin' Easterners with you iPads and your toiletries and your soy de-cappucinos have lost The Way. All y'all'll be buying your commie-rations in Euros and speaking French at the rate things are going.Hey, out here in New Brunswick, the French eat well.