PDA

View Full Version : What do you recycle?

cs
01-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I have brought this up before, but now I will attach a poll that allows multiple choices so those that recycle can list what they do recycle. Maybe we can find out what the most common recycled product is.

Chad

seanz
01-14-2012, 03:35 PM
What's #1 and #2 plastic?

And while we're at it......what's composite?

So many questions.......
:)

cs
01-14-2012, 03:37 PM
#1 Plastic is PETE and #2 is HDPE. That is how it is sorted here. No other plastics are recycled at our recycle center.

Chad

Dan McCosh
01-14-2012, 03:38 PM
We get a list from the city about what to recycle. The collect it all in a bin, and sort it out later. I think it includes aluminum, steel cans, glass, plastics (bottles), paper, cardboard. It excludes some stuff like coated paper.

Newspaper - Newsprint, magazines bundled separately, phone books separated, junk mail, glossy inserts, envelopes, office paper, cereal boxes. Place all paper in brown paper grocery bags or tie with string. Also accepted is cardboard (no wax coated), paperboard (cereal boxes, popcorn boxes, etc.) and boxboard. Fold, flatten or cut the boards into 2 ft. x 2 ft. x 6 in. bundles and tie.

Glass - Food bottles & jars only. NO window glass, ceramics, light bulbs, or drinking glasses. Dispose of caps & rinse containers. NO broken glass.

Cans - Food & beverage tin or aluminum cans only. Rinse cans and remove lids.

Plastic - Check for # on/near the bottom of container. Prepare items # 1 - 7 for collection by rinsing and discarding all lids.

#1 (Pete or Pet) such as soft drink, water, catsup, mouthwash, salad dressing bottles
#2 (HDPE) such as milk, water, juice, shampoo dish/laundry soap bottles
#3 (V or PVC) such as clear food and non-food packaging, clear tubing, electrical cable insulation, and plastic pipes.
#4 (LDPE) such as dry cleaning, bread bags, squeezable bottles, etc.
#5 (PP) such as catsup bottles, yogurt containers, margarine tubs and vitamin bottles
#6 (PS) such as compact disc jackets, grocery store meat trays, egg cartons and aspirin bottles
#7 (Other) such as three and five gallon reusable water bottles, some citrus juice and catsup bottles.

Yard waste is collected, chipped and composted or used in the city parks.

cs
01-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Yeah I realized I misspelled it after I posted it with no way to go back. It should read compost.

Chad

Breakaway
01-14-2012, 03:41 PM
about 50% of grey water from my kitchenHow do you manage that?kevin

S.V. Airlie
01-14-2012, 03:42 PM
When I lived in Cooperstown, I'd say all of the above were on my recycling list Chas.Of course,everything had in essence be run through the dishwasher. Which,I think is a little strange if one is concerned with recycling and/or decreasing the amount of energy used. Recycling dirty items, of course, is probably/likely a health issue, but still. I'm bot sure how much energy overall, I used to clean them.

Forgot..bottles depending on whether there was a deposit.

seanz
01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah I realized I misspelled it after I posted it with no way to go back. It should read compost.

Chad

Ahhhhh......:)

We have kerbside collection very two weeks for general recycle. There is also a collection center that we can take garden waste and other more difficult things (engine oil) to.
I also compost and I recycle timber and old furniture whenever I can.
;)

bob winter
01-14-2012, 04:07 PM
I was wondering what composite was. Compost, we recycle. Can't recycle plastic bags or styrofoam, which is a real shame.

S.V. Airlie
01-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Bob use popped popcorn instead of styrofoam.Give it to the birds to recycle.:)

ahp
01-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Plastic 1 thru 6, paper, styrofoam, metal containers.

Michael D. Storey
01-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Yard waste: Compost, don't have it hauled away.
Oil filters: Pour the waste oil into your fuel oil tank, put the filter into the wood furnace, and recycle the metal shell
Plastics: All that they will take
Glass: Containers, window glass, light bulbs,,,
Fluorescent bulbs: Dispose of as hazardous waste
Furniture, clothes, building materials: Give them away.
Broken flower pots, tiles, etc: into the ash pit as fill or into a ditch to slow erosion.

BTW: I sell a line of my Cuban Food from the restaurant under the name of Havana Road in Whole Foods. The containers will biodegrade, compost, recycle, can go from the refrigerator to the microwave to the stove top to the grille... The package is aluminum. Wow. Things are changing.

Also: it takes 5% of the power (heat made from electricity) to make aluminum from aluminum as what it does from bauxite. View throwing a soda can into the trash as a terrorist act.

Reynard38
01-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Beer.

goodbasil
01-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Other:
Tetra, TV's, computers, women, tires, batteries, oil, oil containers, steel, just about anything.

Peerie Maa
01-14-2012, 04:24 PM
We shred paper except newspaper which is collected. The shredded paper is composted with kitchen and garden waste. The council will collect garden waste for composting, but we do our own apart from woody pruning waste, that and the Christmas tree goes for collection in January. They also collect plastic and food cans for recycling, not much left for the garbage.

Tracey
01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
How do you manage that?kevin

Fairly clean water that would ordinarily go down the drain I make an effort to water plants with. Nothing greasy, that is. Of course, here on Long Island it all goes back to the water table and my efforts are a bit puny.
The scarcity of clean water in much of the world is astounding. I think about that when I only drink half the glass I poured.

S.V. Airlie
01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Look at the water issues in the southwest. Worth more in some states more than gold.

StevenBauer
01-14-2012, 04:44 PM
We have single stream curbside recycling. All plastic, paper, cardboard, glass and metal goes in one bin and is picked up once a week. Pretty convienient.

Steven

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Garden waste and food waste - in separate containers.

Wife recycles/reuses an incredible range of things - professionally - and as a result has prices in seriously strange units..
Like ceramic packaged CPUs - 98,500 per ton.

ccmanuals
01-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Nothing. The town/area I live in has absolutely no recycling program what soever. Irresponsible and disappointing.

S.V. Airlie
01-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Every town is different. goes without saying. Some issues are political. I mentioned that Cooperstown did have a recycling program when I left. Cooperstown is funny. Those county reps hired a hauler (NJ based one to boot) with certain requirements as to the amount (LBS) of trash the residents had to produce, taken to the dump and hauled to NJ. I can't remember the exact tonnage to be hauled away weekly by the hauler..say quite a bit.Say 50 tons for convenience here. The contract for 15 years was for 50 tons/week without recycling. Anything less than 50 tons, the haulers would assess an added fee for not delivering the 50 tons/week contracted. Well, with recycling. the tonnage delivered to the dump was less than 50 tons. What to do? Stop recycling which we were doing or take the added expense/cost? Damn'd if you do, damn'd if you don't.Program disappeared and we were told to take everything, including the kitchen sink, to the dump..The weekly tonnage of garbage at the dump went up. Funny thing about that..although no real surprise

Joe Dupere
01-14-2012, 06:27 PM
In addition to the stuff on the list, our local recycling center takes used electronics, batteries, plastics from #1 through #7, egg cartons, and styrofoam. They collect scrap metal (small stuff, no appliances) for a local guy who picks it up once a week. I save scrap lumber and reuse it as many times as I can. When it's finally not usable any more, it goes into the woodstove.

We also compost a lot. All kitchen scraps go either into the compost pile or into the chickens and pig. All barn bedding and manure goes into the compost. We have only a few fruit trees, and they're all small, so we don't have a lot of leaves for composting. I rarely mow the yard, I usually scythe it, any cuttings from that usually goes to the sheep when we had them, and now to the goats. Much of the garden waste goes to the goats and pig first, anything they won't eat goes into the compost pile.

It's a long slow learning curve, but if we can't re-use it somehow, or recycle it or compost it, we try not to buy it.

Joe, FFPoP

cs
01-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I see that aluminium is taking the lead as the most recycled object (plastics would probably be more if counted as one). I heard somewhere one time, that recycling one aluminium can saved as much energy as if the can was full of gas.

Chad

MiddleAgesMan
01-14-2012, 06:42 PM
This obsession with recycling prompted me to write a song back in the 90s. I've forgotten most of it but the gist of it was the absurdity of sending two guys around in a big diesel truck collecting your sorted trash from the curb. If you look at the total cost of the effort you will find it is a lose-lose situation, for most of the stuff we use and throw away. Copper is an exception and aluminum MIGHT be one.

IMHO trash should be incinerated and the heat used to run turbines to generate electricity. That is the ONLY efficient method to handle typical household trash.

IMHO.

Breakaway
01-14-2012, 06:49 PM
We reuse some stuff. Plastic containers for bringing lunches to school, or for me as paint or glue pots. I compost some yard waste, but my town makes a street pickup once in Spring and again in Fall. They have these ginormous mulch machines, and you can go to the dump and take as much as you want free. They also recycle cans/bottles, paper, cardboard and waste oil at no charge. Appliances, furniture, batteries and construction debris there is a charge.

My kids are on their 3rd and 2nd bikes respectively--their still young and growing. I put all five bikes together from parts I scrounged at the dump. ( K-- id buy one chain, one brake cable and one handlebar basket).

Re-use, is as good as recycle, and cheaper too.

Kevin

WX
01-14-2012, 06:49 PM
We also compost excrement and urine via the composting toilet.

PeterSibley
01-14-2012, 06:58 PM
In addition to the stuff on the list, our local recycling center takes used electronics, batteries, plastics from #1 through #7, egg cartons, and styrofoam. They collect scrap metal (small stuff, no appliances) for a local guy who picks it up once a week. I save scrap lumber and reuse it as many times as I can. When it's finally not usable any more, it goes into the woodstove.

We also compost a lot. All kitchen scraps go either into the compost pile or into the chickens and pig. All barn bedding and manure goes into the compost. We have only a few fruit trees, and they're all small, so we don't have a lot of leaves for composting. I rarely mow the yard, I usually scythe it, any cuttings from that usually goes to the sheep when we had them, and now to the goats. Much of the garden waste goes to the goats and pig first, anything they won't eat goes into the compost pile.

It's a long slow learning curve, but if we can't re-use it somehow, or recycle it or compost it, we try not to buy it.

Joe, FFPoP

It's a good plan Joe. I've hauled countless loads of mulch and sawdust to our garden and soil that was once 4" thick and poor is now 12" and very good indeed. Lots of compost and i don't throw anything away that could be composted or eaten by the chooks.

All my sheds are walled and roofed with corrugated iron roofing from reroofing contractors, all free for the carting. The biggest shed is 60'x40' with 12' high walls.

The bulk of our waste is thin plastic packaging plastic, something that seems impossible to avoid as everything is wrapped or bagged in the stuff.:mad:

Paul Girouard
01-14-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm big on re-use as well , Plastic coffee containers , and plastic oyster jars , for bit's and piece / nails , screws / strap clamps , etc. And margarine/ butter / cottage cheese containers for mixing contains for epoxy , applying various finishes , oils etc.

Re-use, IMO, is a higher recovery / recycle use. What say ye on re-use?? Higher / lower value then recycle??

Paul Girouard
01-14-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm big on re-use as well , Plastic coffee containers , and plastic oyster jars , for bit's and piece / nails , screws / strap clamps , etc. And margarine/ butter / cottage cheese containers for mixing contains for epoxy , applying various finishes , oils etc.

Re-use, IMO, is a higher recovery / recycle use. What say ye on re-use?? Higher / lower value then recycle??

ETA : I see the re-use side has been discussed, I'll check out the opinions when I get back from the store.

blacksmith
01-14-2012, 07:58 PM
In our town's transfer station,we can recycle:
paper & cardboard
plastic (except big items e.g. Wading pools,etc.)
Glass (except plate glass)
Al and steel cans
Heavy metal (BBQ grills,etc)
used motor oil
Tires (limited)
Hg containing items
Brush and Xmas trees in season

Eddiebou
01-14-2012, 08:34 PM
I save aluminum. I take it to the scrap-yard about twice a year. It averages about 2 or 3 hundred $ a year.

purri
01-14-2012, 11:41 PM
bad jokes.

cs
01-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Another thing that I learned on the History Channel is that recycling 1 ton of paper saves something like 27 trees.

Chad

brad9798
01-15-2012, 12:06 AM
I have said this before ... but we, and I am STILL very satisfied with it, as a family of five (5) still only fill up one kitchen garbage can per week ... EVERYTHING else is recycled ... or composted.

:D :D

Breakaway
01-15-2012, 12:15 AM
, animal fat

Put it in the freezer, then hang it from a tree in a Clementine or onion sack for the birds to get , esp at this time of year.

Kevin

Meli
01-15-2012, 03:27 AM
I reuse lots of things for other purposes, buy most of my clothes and house hold goods from the OP shop (Goodwill store)
And restore furniture.

seanz
01-15-2012, 04:03 AM
Nothing. The town/area I live in has absolutely no recycling program what soever. Irresponsible and disappointing.

OK, the town has no program? That's amazing.

This obsession with recycling prompted me to write a song back in the 90s. I've forgotten most of it but the gist of it was the absurdity of sending two guys around in a big diesel truck collecting your sorted trash from the curb. If you look at the total cost of the effort you will find it is a lose-lose situation, for most of the stuff we use and throw away. Copper is an exception and aluminum MIGHT be one.

IMHO trash should be incinerated and the heat used to run turbines to generate electricity. That is the ONLY efficient method to handle typical household trash.

IMHO.

Or you could just dig a hole and bury it.......which is a pretty ridiculous waste solution on a small island that burns/exports coal but that's what happens.
It would be shouted down in no time at all but a coal fired waste incinerating power-plant would be an excellent idea.
Especially for people that rely on artesian water.......

Hey, anyway, I've driven a truck that was involved in the recycle industry........but it wasn't kerbside collection, it was export shipping containers......there'll be a short pause while that sinks in.

bad jokes.

Recycled properly, these can become good jokes again.

It's the only recycling that I have no doubt about.

Recycling in general (the household collection type) has me a little dubious.....too many collection centers catch on fire. True, paper is flamable and the collection centers could catch fire at any time but they tend to catch fire when the yard is full.

On a brighter note......I like recycling old woodworking tools.

Meli
01-15-2012, 04:38 AM
Hmm. I tend to agree that the councils recycleing thing is a bit of a sop.
Better to encourage people not to buy cheap trash from places like Walmart that need to be replaced in a few years.
Like how many of those cheap office chairs do you see out on every hard rubbish.

And reycle through the OP shops, everyone wins. I even buy second hand bed linen there. Amazing how much STUFF is not even used before it's discarded.

skuthorp
01-15-2012, 06:12 AM
All food and most garden waste is composted. Endemic weeds that are dug up are either taken to the green waste section of the tip where the are shredded and cooked and resold as mulch or are chipped by ourselves and composted.
Council collects glass, paper, cardboard (if I don't use it) and plastic. I also do a good line in recycling building materials, including a pile of bits from two cut up boats. The tip has an open policy about taking stuff away mostly. They used to sell stuff but found the admin was costing more than they made.

blacksmith
01-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Elf, do I ? Yes

John Smith
01-15-2012, 10:50 AM
We have single stream curbside recycling. All plastic, paper, cardboard, glass and metal goes in one bin and is picked up once a week. Pretty convienient.

Steven

Here, also

Nicholas Scheuer
01-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Under "other" I refer to used fasteners of all types which I sort into little glass jars lined up on shelves in my shop.

I halso have metal bars and steel pipe scrap leaning up in a corner of my garage, with oddsand ends of plastic pipe tucked in the diagonal bracing of the garage loft joists.

I learned "recycling" as a youth; my father was an "expert".

cs
01-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Chuck the title of the thread is "what" not "why". I was just wondring what people recycled to give me more ideas and bring recycling to the front of everyone's mind

Chad

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Sometimes if I find a glass bottle of some particularly unique color I take it to a jetty and throw it as hard as I can against the furthest rocks.

A few years later some other people will walk the beach and find turquoise or pale purple beach glass.That's littering..and wrong even if it's against the law. Totally unnnecessary. Then again I'm not surprised you do such things.Yes, elf iti s my opinion and the only one here it seems, that by their silence think that behavior is just dandy and quite acceptable. Remind me not to go in the water without wearing steel soled boots because I might cut my feet otherwise. Thanks for the heads up . I have trouble throwing an apple core out of the window.
"Oh looky here, a pretty piece of *some torquoise colored glass sticking out of me foot" Gee thanks! Lets see, 24 stitches in my foot, a cut tendon, possible nerve damage, doctors' visits..What's that cost? Will you pay for it please?*

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Everyone wears watershoes around here, and the beaches have very little glass on them except in the cities. It's all plastic now.I'm not everyone. Many people probably don't actually unless they have ended up with glass in their feet you have previously smashed on the rocks. Knowing what you do, around your neck of the woods, I may have to change to booooties though. May be I should wear a bathing cap too. Play it safe.And using your defense/excuse for such actions by saying EVERYONE wears booooties, is just that, an excuse. We only have to or need to wear booties to begin with because of your callous behavior.You can come up with any excuse you want. If nothing else, littering is illegal in most places not that this should bother you.That's why there are signs that read..No littering Fine XXXX.
ps..I may wear footwear when clamming or because of the number of mussels. I can see the mussels though and I expect to see a lot of clams...not glass.
Hey look elf. Check out the footwear!
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42422000/jpg/_42422268_ap416varna.jpg

WX
01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Items that are not recycled but should be include dry cell batteries, Alkaline, Nickle Cadmium etc and plate glass.

Mrleft8
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Friends.

purri
01-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Same here but at the local council depot..

cs
01-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Jamie I saw that also but thought that is was so outlandish and irresponsible that it was posted in jest.

Chad

BTW I will check into places like Radio Shack and Batteries + to see if they take old batteries.

S.V. Airlie
01-15-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't think it was cs..I doubt that it was. But, no complaints comment from the usual questioning it. Read her post again where she explains why she does and her response saying EVERYONE wears shoes or footgear in the water where she lives. No problem right...? No mention of it being a jest there..none cs. She could have posted that she was responding IN jest instead of posting an excuse for the behavior. I don't buy it..

cs
01-15-2012, 06:14 PM
If it wasn't in jest that is totally irresponsible. Anyone that has stepped on broken glass and had to get stitches would understand why. Me, I prefer going barefoot on the beach and would hate to think somebody was breaking glass on purpose.

Chad

Meli
01-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Old car batteries I take to my local tyre and battery place. They get them picked up for recycling, maybe ask around.

AnalogKid
01-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Other in my case is plastics #3-7. The council take away all plastics from #1 to #7. They are sent abroad for re-processing though, and then clean plastic pellets shipped back again, so that's not so clever. Especially since a few containers of pellets of fallen off the Rena (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?137845-Container-Ship-Rena-Aground-On-Reef-In-NZ-How) and are now littering the beaches and posing a real threat to wildlife.

Also fill a bag of garden matter once a month which is composted. We have our own heap that can deal with small stuff, but the commercial collection is way cheaper than taking it to the transfer station and they can take anything up to 40mm branches and run it all through a chipper before composting.

AnalogKid
01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Under "other" I refer to used fasteners of all types which I sort into little glass jars lined up on shelves in my shop.

I halso have metal bars and steel pipe scrap leaning up in a corner of my garage, with oddsand ends of plastic pipe tucked in the diagonal bracing of the garage loft joists.

I learned "recycling" as a youth; my father was an "expert".

I'd refer to this as re-use, the 2nd of the 3 'R's - Reduce, Re-use and Recycle. I think re-using is far preferable because there's less transport and processing costs/energy use involved.

I also have a pile of metal, some gets re-used where possible, the rest will get weighed in at some undefined point in the future.

David Tabor (sailordave)
01-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I recycle plastics, glass and aluminum and paper. Cardboard, not so much. I also have taken to walking up and down the dirt road I live off of. I take a plastic tote bag w/ me and on the way home I pick up a full load of cans/glass that are thrown on the side of the road. I'm thinking I should save ALL my AL and take it somewhere for $$$
What is Aluminum going for these days anyway?

I also "recycle" my clothing by donating it if still in decent shape or using it as rags.

Fitz
01-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Most everything goes in the recycle bins, except maybe styrofoam. Then the town has an event twice a year where styrofoam and most everything else is accepted (computer parts, small appliances, oversized items). We also pay $1.50 per bag of trash, so there is some incentive to recycle everything possible. Seems to work here.

Breakaway
01-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Old car batteries I take to my local tyre and battery place.

Around here, the retailer is compelled by statute to take your old one when you buy a new one.

Someone mentioned plate glass: I chuck that in the "glass-metal-plastic" bin at the dump( "tip" to some of you) with my cans and bottles.

Kevin

Trevor S.
01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
We generate about one full regular size garbage bag a month. Everything else is recycled.