PDA

View Full Version : One stop government?

Waddie
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
President Obama must be reading my Bilge posts. He is actually proposing a plan to consolidate myriad government agencies into one central location for businesses dealing with government red tape. BRAVO!!!! Kudo's to the White House. We've needed this approach for a long time, but I keep getting told it's just not possible in a country this large and complicated.

regards,
Waddie

S.V. Airlie
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm glad, but this move from what I have read means a potential loss of another two thousand jobs.It will be an interesting balancing act.

wardd
01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Yup... but there's one important question: will the Republicans, who have been whining about the size and efficiency of government for decades, give him the power to do this?

Or will they do what they've done for the past three years: object and obstruct, simply because the plan came from Obama?

they'll object because it's not enough

S.V. Airlie
01-13-2012, 01:04 PM
I've been told to stop whining about the poll. Guess that doesn't apply to you though Norman to keep whining about the reps even before they do anything.

Waddie
01-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Yup... but there's one important question: will the Republicans, who have been whining about the size and efficiency of government for decades, give him the power to do this?

Or will they do what they've done for the past three years: object and obstruct, simply because the plan came from Obama?

The Republicans should embrace this idea and call Obama's hand by raising him it one step further. This could be a great opportunity to cut even deeper, and even abolish some agencies. Do we really need a helium reserve?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Helium_Reserve

As I've posted before, in order to meet our obligations, we will need to cut where we can, raise taxes where we can, and we will still need to borrow some when 78 million baby boomers retire, half of them in poverty, and will need a huge safety net.

regards,
Waddie

mikefrommontana
01-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Actually we DO need a national Helium reserve, as it is the only gas that does not remain in a free state in the atmosphere. IOW what get derived from gas production is all there is on this planet. Since Helium is the lightest inert gas, it has lots of interesting industrial uses--aside from making balloons fly.

An alternate opinion to privatization: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/helium-reserves-cutting-spending-and-prudence/

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I predict the president will champion all kinds of policies that play to Republican buzzwords because he is confident they will do their damnedest to kill them.

skuthorp
01-14-2012, 07:54 PM
I predict the president will champion all kinds of policies that play to Republican buzzwords because he is confident they will do their damdest to kill them because of the election.
What? Surely he'd not be so Machiavellian? :D

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
The Republicans should embrace this idea and call Obama's hand by raising him it one step further. This could be a great opportunity to cut even deeper, and even abolish some agencies. Do we really need a helium reserve?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Helium_Reserve

As I've posted before, in order to meet our obligations, we will need to cut where we can, raise taxes where we can, and we will still need to borrow some when 78 million baby boomers retire, half of them in poverty, and will need a huge safety net.

regards,
Waddie

When I worked for NASA we recaptured helium when it was possible. I'm a little vague on this but I think helium has been a US stategic commodity since the 1920s.
Helium has a lot of scientific uses. For instance if you want to produce a vessel that is guaranteed 100% not to leak you test it with helium and a mass spectrometer.

Waddie
01-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Actually we DO need a national Helium reserve, as it is the only gas that does not remain in a free state in the atmosphere. IOW what get derived from gas production is all there is on this planet. Since Helium is the lightest inert gas, it has lots of interesting industrial uses--aside from making balloons fly.

An alternate opinion to privatization: http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/helium-reserves-cutting-spending-and-prudence/

lots of interesting industrial uses; Then let private industry create, and pay for that reserve. The government doesn't need to be in that business when the funds are needed much more elsewhere.

regards,
Waddie

wardd
01-15-2012, 11:03 AM
lots of interesting industrial uses; Then let private industry create, and pay for that reserve. The government doesn't need to be in that business when the funds are needed much more elsewhere.

regards,
Waddie

there is a reason it's called a strategic reserve

Waddie
01-15-2012, 11:56 AM
there is a reason it's called a strategic reserve

I used the helium reserve example as sarcasm. The government privatized it in 1996, and is in the process of selling off the last of it. So apparently the government doesn't consider it so "strategic". However, we do have about a third of the world's helium and it isn't renewable.

regards,
Waddie

ccmanuals
01-15-2012, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuBdYVHqn00