PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Mud

Paul Pless
01-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I have to say one of the bigger surprises Michigan has held for me is the sheer amount of mud. Where does it all come from, seriously. . . . . . .I live on the highest hilltop for miles, it hasn't rained or snowed in a couple of weeks, yet I'm covered in wet soggy mud after coming in from working out in the yard.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-11-2012, 02:54 PM
During the dark season the trees collect moisture and - using the roots - mix it with the dirt - making MUD.

Wales is very similar - the only place I know where bog plants flourish on a 30 slope.

Mrleft8
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Alabama.
It moves north this time of year.

Canoez
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
As Elf says - Vermont and New Hampshire and parts of Maine seem to be famous for "mud season":

http://vtmapleproducts.com/maplesyrup/mud.jpg

Dan McCosh
01-11-2012, 04:23 PM
It's why paved roads were invented here.

hokiefan
01-11-2012, 04:30 PM
It is definitely different than in the South. It seems the dirt just holds water better. I've gone hiking at the local State Park when it hasn't rained in at least two weeks. Its always muddy, even at the top of the hills. My yard in Savannah can be sandy dry 24 hours after it rains, and the water table is only 4-5 feet down. And we are 200 yards as the crow flies from the creek.

Cheers,

Bobby

Mrleft8
01-11-2012, 05:04 PM
It's all the clay. If we had sandy soil, like they do on Lawn Guy Land, I could grow pretty tomatoes too, even with 16" more rain than "normal".
On the plus side, it is fun to watch women from NYC come to a summer party in their heels, here..... :D