PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Governor pardons 200

genglandoh
01-11-2012, 07:50 AM
I do not understand why a Governor would pardon people on his last day in office.

What do you think?

Mississippi Governor, Already Criticized on Pardons, Rides a Wave of Them Out of Office
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/us/gov-haley-barbour-of-mississippi-is-criticized-on-wave-of-pardons.html?_r=1

Waddie
01-11-2012, 08:35 AM
It is a tradition. The President does it, too.

Remember Clinton's pardon of Mark Rich?

A bad tradition. Leave it to the parole boards.

regards,
Waddie

genglandoh
01-11-2012, 08:42 AM
It is a tradition. The President does it, too.

Remember Clinton's pardon of Mark Rich?

A bad tradition. Leave it to the parole boards.

regards,
Waddie

I am not against all pardons but doing pardons on the last days in office is just plain wrong.
If the pardons had merrit then why would they be held until the last days in office.

Mrleft8
01-11-2012, 08:51 AM
I am not against all pardons but doing pardons on the last days in office is just plain wrong.
If the pardons had merrit then why would they be held until the last days in office. Because it's a way of sticking a thumb in the eyes of anyone who ever opposed them, or didn't vote for them. "I have the power, and there's nothing you can do about it, so screw you!"
These guys are politicians, not normal humans. They don't care about you, me, or their own mothers. Much like the act of rape..... It's not about sex, it's about power. In the case of pardons, it's not about clemency, or righting an apparent bad conviction, it's about power.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Why are you worried about what goes on in a low dollar state like Mississippi?

genglandoh
01-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Why are you worried about what goes on in a low dollar state like Mississippi?

Are you questioning why the New York Times is doing this story or do you just hate Mississippi?

As in my case I am interested in the subject.

Do you have an opinion on the subject?

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Are you questioning why the New York Times is doing this story or do you just hate Mississippi?

I certainly have an opinion. I don't want my state to descend to the condition of Mississippi. How or why they are as bad off as they are is probably due to their severe conservative politics.

S.V. Airlie
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Heck Pres. Adams appointed people on his last day in office. I think he appointed John Jay in fact. Last day appointments and pardons are part of the perks of a sitting president even on the last day. I could be wrong on Jay,it might have been Marshall.

genglandoh
01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
I certainly have an opinion. I don't want my state to descend to the condition of Mississippi. How or why they are as bad off as they are is probably due to their severe conservative politics.

So what is your opinion on the subject?

S.V. Airlie
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I certainly have an opinion. I don't want my state to descend to the condition of Mississippi. How or why they are as bad off as they are is probably due to their severe conservative politics.How is the "rust belt " doing?

Mrleft8
01-11-2012, 12:42 PM
John Adams nominated John Marshall in what was known as "The midnight judges act"..... But it wasn't on his last day.
John Jay was nominated by Washington.

S.V. Airlie
01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Okay, his last week.. his last official act or one of them..I suppose he couldn't have picked up the phone and do this later..:)Might have taken him a week to do.And Doug I knew it was one or the other. I decided on Marshall as his tenure ran from 1801 to 1835.Hence Adams'.Nominated on Jan. 31st Doug.. Awful close to March and Jefferson taking over as the 3rd president, don't you think?

Mrleft8
01-11-2012, 01:06 PM
January 20th, and he was in the room when John Jay's letter declining the position was delivered, so I'd guess, unless it was an extraordinarily large room, it took less than a week to get the nomination from Adam's lips to Marshall's ears. :D

S.V. Airlie
01-11-2012, 01:16 PM
A week is 7 days..Jan. 20th is not Jan. 31st and not a week. Plus there had to be a confirmation..takes time. The post of mine is the same. It was as are the pardons, one of his last official acts as president and that is the point when discussing this to begin with. I suspect the was busy packing in Feb.:) But make what you will of it..

Anthony Zucker
01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
There was a pardon problem in Tennessee about five governorships ago when the retiring gov was selling pardons for a few thousand dollars a piece, cash only. The only way to quickly stop it was to swear in the new gov, Lamar Alexander, a few days early. The retiring gov, Blanton, was a dem and all the dem leaders, Ned McWherter was the senate leader and gov after Lamar. agreed to get Lamar in early to stop the selling.

S.V. Airlie
01-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Sounds like what happened in Illinois with a certain gov. and appointed Senator.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-11-2012, 05:56 PM

If you are oh so interested in the subject why did you leave out the name of Mississippi's outgoing governor?
Is it because he is the biggest, richest , most powerful, REPUBLICAN lobbyist on K Street? He is a REPUBLICAN kingmaker.

S.V. Airlie
01-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I suspect most here know his name but make it what you will CC. You will anyway.Of course he stepped up in LA when the president was reorganizing some department or other in the fed gov at that time with that oil spill.

genglandoh
01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
If you are oh so interested in the subject why did you leave out the name of Mississippi's outgoing governor?
Is it because he is the biggest, richest , most powerful, REPUBLICAN lobbyist on K Street? He is a REPUBLICAN kingmaker.

Well I provided the link to the NYT article so all could read the story.
I do not care if he is a republican or a democrat, I think pardoning 200 people in the last day in office is wrong.

You still have not posted your opinion on the subject.
Do you have an opinion or do you just want to post insults?

Phillip Allen
01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I have no idea how one would identify them but I suspect that 200 people NEED pardoning at any given time... cops/prosecutors being what they are

skuthorp
01-12-2012, 05:58 AM
I have no idea how one would identify them but I suspect that 200 people NEED pardoning at any given time... cops/prosecutors being what they are
Maybe their convictions were um 'political' in the first place eh Phillip? Or maybe it's just the Royal (Presidential) Prerogative writ smaller. It's certainly against the separation of powers principle.