PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas for articles

Sailor
01-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I know alot of us are here to get some tidbits to put to good use on our own boats, how to, practical ideas etc. We're also here to dream about the unreasonable, learn about history etc.
I'd like to see somebody do something in a serial sort of fashion about different ships in history. Maybe set up as an article that revisits every now and then, and looks at either a type of ship, say Ship of the Line, Extreme Clipper, Baltimore clipper etc, or perhaps important ships in history like HMS VICTORY, CUTTY SARK, CONSTITUTION or Queen Ann's Revenge. I know we've seen a few like CONSTELLATION but a detailed look at how a clipper ship was built, operated etc. for example would make for a mighty interesting read. Maybe a recurring article about different aspects of the operation of a large sailing ship back in the day? Just a few thoughts of what I'd like to see. Though not at the expense of the useful-to-me as a boat owner/operator today type stuff.

coucal
01-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I really like Dr Richard Jagels' articles. I'm interested in sustainable timber procurement & maintaining the resource so my kids can make wooden boats, too. - I'd trust Dr Jagels to write an interesting and non-didactic series of feature articles focussing on the topic - worldwide state of play, future projections, developing issues, methods of assessment etc.
Jack