PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Build of the MOnth

davebrown
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
I think you should do a half page, or greater, if you have the space, on a particularly interesting amateur build. I nominate EddieBou's (his forumite name, who knows what he is really called) Chesapeake Skiff for the first!

mcdenny
01-09-2012, 08:18 PM
This sounds great. Sort of a best of the "launchings" section.

Half page with pics would be tough though. How about bumping the "recently received" section?

Eddiebou
01-10-2012, 07:20 AM
I think this is a great idea!

jimkeen
01-10-2012, 08:31 AM
I like it

Paul Pless
01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
I nominate Building the Maid.

I would've nominated searover's thread, but know that one day it will be feature length article. . .

davebrown
01-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Here's why I nominate EddieBou's build: 1. It is indicative of a dying breed (I mean the boat, not Eddie). Those Chesapeake sailing skiffs, which were once ubiquitous, will soon be the province of museums only. Forty years ago, when I was a boy, and my family went to the Coast from Tennessee or South Carolina, or Florida too, I used to see that style of boat laid up in every creek and marsh, all decrepit and ruinous, and I used to think about how jaunty and cheerful a sight they must have been in their heyday. 2. Eddie built his boat by taking lines off of an old-timer, and therefore his boat is directly linked to the Old Boats. 3. Eddie's method for building the new boat is both a time-honored way of re-creating a craft (Gardner and Culler come to mind) but also requires a real understanding of traditional tools and construction. 4. Eddie's boat is a goddam work of art. It will knock your eyes out.

Now I note that Eddie weighed in on this thread (we have never met--he is in VA, I believe, and I am in Sacramento area), so Eddie, if I have mis-stated anything, please correct me. Except the work of art part. That part I am correct about.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/orbb2/7a75af63.jpg

Sailor
01-19-2012, 09:46 PM
It'd have to be builder of the every two months, seeing as how we only get an issue every two months...... :D

Boater14
01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Wish I could see more of that boat.

CWSmith
01-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Those bottom boards running fore & aft? That can't be easy.

Eddiebou
01-20-2012, 07:21 AM
I am very flattered, and I would love to show more pics of this build. I need someone to show me how to post the pictures and include text/info.
Yes, the bottom planking runs fore & aft and it wasn't easy. The planking is spiled, but not curved. Only the garboard plank is curved, and there are no pointed ends at the chine.
This is not a boat that I picked randomly. I grew up with the "Katie-K", and knew the original builder. The credit really goes to him, Watt Herbert, for building the original from memory. He grew up around these boats and sailed Katy-K when everybody else was using outboard motor powered skiffs.