PDA

View Full Version : I am king of the world!!

RichKrough
01-07-2012, 06:24 PM
If only for a day....

My wife had catered a 15 person brunch at our house today starting at 11am for a dance instructor who is retiring.

After helping her tidy up the house I packed a backpack harnessed the dog and went out for a very long walk down the bike trail. About 9:15 as I'm walking along I hear the frantic honking of a horn. I glance through the trees toward the road and there is my wife blocking traffic and yelling out the window. I jog with the dog down to the next access point and find my wife in a panic. She had just found out the caterer had been a bad traffic accident overnight and was in the hospital. I got in the car and told her to drive to the nearest grocery store.

In the store I ran through and grabbed enough ingredients to make Quiche, a side dish , fruit salad, dessert and 2 gallons of Bloody Marys. In and out in 20 mins.

It's 10 am when we get everything home. While the oven is warming up and waiting for water to boil, I quickly make the Bloody Mary mix and shipped my wife off to the liquor store for vodka and a chocolate bar. I had a quiche recipe rolling around in my mind for some time that was like a deep dish souffle but I had never followed through and made it.

First I separated 12 eggs and whipped the whites stiff in the mixer while making a basic pie crust.
Pie crust in the freezer to chill, I next put the whipped egg whites in a bowl and then whipped a quart of whipping cream. once whipped I mixed 1/2 the whipped cream with the eggs whites and folded 2/3's of the separated egg yolks back in. Added shredded Gruyere ,white cheddar, chopped fresh spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and smoked turkey. I rolled out the pie crust for two 8" spring pans, Filled the pans and in the oven at 10:35.

The fruit salad was the usually cut-up fruit from the deli department, being early it was at least still fresh. I quickly fished out the mini-marshmallows and replaced them with tangerines and blue berries. I added 2 splashes of Grand Marnier to jazz it up. I lined 15 small glass bowls with some thin kiwi slices, I then added the fruit. 10:55 am

I had grabbed a box of Uncle Bens wild rice from the store, I cooked the rice and tossed the seasoning pack. I sauteed shallots, mushrooms, eggplant and spices in a pan, I quickly haved and hollowed out 8 whole tomatoes. I mixed the wildrice and sautee' then filled the tomatoes, grated romano on top and in the oven. 11:05

Fortunately everyone is fashionably late so I quickly mix two pitchers of Bloody Marys to keep everyone occupied. 11:10

In the shower and a quick change. I hear people arriving 11:15

Back in the kitchen I began on the desert. I had bought two short cakes from the store bakery. The fresh strawberries on top were drowning in some horrible topping so I washed the strawberries and scraped the topping off. I whipped in sugar to the left over whipped cream from the quiche along with a splash of Grand Marnier . Whipped cream, strawberries and blue berries on top of the short cakes. I grated the chocolate bar over both cakes to get the women interested. 11:45

The quiche is looking good and is just about firm in the center so I quickly pull both pies and put them in the freezer to quickly cool. 15 mins in the freezer and I pull them out, Effing A! they didn't collapse, nearly 3" high! Stuffed tomatoes come out, I hit them with grated romano and fresh parsley ,ready to serve. Sliced quiche on the dishes with sides and salad at 12:10 only 10 mins late!!

They all loved the quiche, dessert went over huge (or maybe the alcohol was kicking in) Raves and attaboys and marriage offers from the women if SWMBO ever tosses me out.

So, I wonder if I finally scored enough points to be allowed an old Formula 500 car for autocross? :D

http://cdn-6.motorsport.com/static/img/mgl/0/10000/14000/14500/14536/s1_1.jpg

bobbys
01-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Your pretty darn good, I wooda pulled out the BBQ, flipped burgers and bought a case of beer.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-07-2012, 06:40 PM
So, I wonder if I finally scored enough points to be allowed an old Formula 500 car for autocross?

No.

This effort on your part will be shifted into the "these are things you should have been doing all along to help me, if you really loved me and weren't so selfish" department. :D

purri
01-07-2012, 06:43 PM
^ the voice of experience.

David G
01-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Such a performance/rescue on my part would have netted my about half a years worth of nearly automatic 'Yes dear, whatever you'd like.'

Meli
01-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I bet you both got a much bigger buzz out of it than if you'd got the caterer in too.
Way to go :D

PS, seeing as he/she lost the gig and is in hospital, a small bunch of flowers and a nice little card would be nice.

MiddleAgesMan
01-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Sorry, but you aren't king of the world.

You're Superman!

Mrleft8
01-07-2012, 09:33 PM
The dog will give you the cold shoulder for a month for aborting the walk.... But eventually you will be forgiven. ;)

LeeG
01-07-2012, 10:22 PM
yep, Superman.

Bruce Hooke
01-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Well done! Not so many people (especially men!) could pull that off.

RichKrough
01-07-2012, 11:01 PM
I had to swing for the bleachers. I got lucky and everything worked.
No race car though and the dog is pissed.

pipefitter
01-08-2012, 02:54 AM
He just explained dinner every night (minus the bloody marys) when you have school aged children and work for a living, at least if you want everything to come out finished with respective edible heat considerations intact and don't eat much in the way of processed foods.

He must have initially learned from watching his mom.

The Bigfella
01-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Mate.... what happened when they ran out of Bloody Mary's half way through? Sheesh.... two gallons for 15 people? I pint each?

Phillip Allen
01-08-2012, 06:11 AM
No.

This effort on your part will be shifted into the "these are things you should have been doing all along to help me, if you really loved me and weren't so selfish" department. :D

been there, 'done' that

Eddiebou
01-08-2012, 08:40 AM
I am Cornholio!

RichKrough
01-08-2012, 09:48 AM
He just explained dinner every night (minus the bloody marys) when you have school aged children and work for a living, at least if you want everything to come out finished with respective edible heat considerations intact and don't eat much in the way of processed foods.

He must have initially learned from watching his mom.

That is pretty much how it was when our kids were growing up. I cooked most meals and learned to hustle in the kitchen.

AS for my mom, if it weren't Dinty Moore and Kraft we would have starved to death. she hated to cook.

Mate.... what happened when they ran out of Bloody Mary's half way through? Sheesh.... two gallons for 15 people? I pint each?

I think most were chasing the bloody marys with wine. We went through 6 bottles. I didn't want them too drunk and have to drive everyone of them home. Hell is not in Michigan, it is having to drive a carload of drunk middle aged women around.:eek:

Bruce Hooke
01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
He just explained dinner every night.

Dinner every night? Did you really have a menu like this every night?

Quiche
Fruit salad
Baked stuffed tomatoes with shallots, mushrooms, eggplant and wild rice
Shortbread with whipped cream, strawberries, blueberries and grated chocolate on top

And were there really 15 people sitting down around the table every night?

I could believe quiche for a family (which does not mean 15 people these days except in the rarest of cases) with some steamed vegetables and rice on the side and something simple for desert in a well-fed family. I grew up in a family where we did not eat a lot of processed feed and I cook the same way for myself now. I have never seen a family where the regular weekday routine was cooking the menu Rich describes for 15 people every night. Even the large Italian-American family I knew well for a while, where food was paramount, did not eat like that every night of the week and did not have 15 mouths to feed every night.

Mrleft8
01-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Quiche?!
BRUCE!!!!!! You're a man fer christ's sake! GET A GRIP LAD! :D

Bruce Hooke
01-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Twernt me making the quiche...

Michael D. Storey
01-08-2012, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Meli;3261561]I bet you both got a much bigger buzz out of it than if you'd got the caterer in too.

Very nice sentiment

RichKrough
01-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I bet you both got a much bigger buzz out of it than if you'd got the caterer in too.

PS, seeing as he/she lost the gig and is in hospital, a small bunch of flowers and a nice little card would be nice.

My wife has tried to reach her and her spouse a couple times since yesterday to offer any help they may need. No reply as of yet.
There hasn't been any mention in the local media of an accident with injuries involving her or where she said it took place. She has done parties and brunches for several people my wife is acquainted with and has a great reputation among them.