PDA

View Full Version : We Want to Hear From You

MPM
01-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Hello Forumites--
The subtitle says it all: This new Forum topic, WoodenBoat Magazine, is a place for WoodenBoat readers to voice their comments, criticisms, and questions regarding the magazine. WoodenBoat’s staff will be watching this space, posing occasional questions here, and answering them from time to time, too.

Why are we doing this? Quite simply, it’s because we value—and need—your feedback in order to fine-tune the contents of the magazine. You are, after all, the very reason we publish WoodenBoat. Until the Forum came along, we sought comment through letters to the editor, e-mails, and conversations at boat shows. With the Forum came magazine-related posts scattered among our six current categories. In fact, one of the inspirations for this new topic heading was a recent discussion in The Bilge. We’d like to move such magazine discussion to a focused place on the Forum, so we we won’t miss your comments and questions; we’d also like to ask some questions of our own. This Forum has power that our other communication channels lack: Here, your comments grow into conversations; it’s a place of real dialogue.

Consider, for example, the shantyboat on the cover of the current issue. That was rather a surprise, wasn’t it? It’s generated a flow of letters to our offices, most of them positive, some of them questioning the boat’s cost. We want to know: Do you think a floating cottage like this one should appear in WoodenBoat? What elements of the magazine do you like? What don’t you like? What broad areas would you like to see covered more deeply? If there’s a magazine-related topic on your mind, start a thread. We’ll always be listening intently, and we’ll respond when it’s appropriate to do so—and as long as a deadline isn’t occupying our attention at that moment.

(If you have a specific article proposal, please don’t post it here. Our Editorial Guidelines are here (http://woodenboat.com/wbmag/guide-lines.html), and they describe the process of submitting a proposal, and the level of detail we require in order to consider an article. We labor mightily to answer every article query, but they must be submitted through the proper channel in order for us to do this.)

As the threads and feedback here grow lively and interesting—and we know they will, given the threads we’ve watched over the years—we’ll publish edited excerpts in the magazine.

Thanks for listening, thanks for speaking up, and thanks for helping us to deliver the magazine you want.

Matt Murphy
Editor

Willin'
01-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Er, not to complain, Matt, but the Forum header says there are already 4 threads here, yet I only find yours. Can I have the secret password?

Hwyl
01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
In a similar vein I would move, or ask Tom Montgomery to move his "Do you subscribe" poll here.

The latest issue was great BTW

Scot
01-07-2012, 04:03 PM
That happened as a part of the set-up. You've not missed anything.
-Scot

Leatherneck
01-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Scot, Matt,
This is a great idea. I say this having just read the last and current issue sitting in front of the fire, cursing the back muscle strain that put me on the binnacle list Friday.

Tom

Dave B
01-07-2012, 04:20 PM
You mentioned the shanty boat article and what we thought of it....
I thought it was a great read! I typically don't read every article completely, but that one I did. I apparently wasn't the only one to question the cost to build, however. Was that accurate, and if so, why?

Keep up the good work on the magazine. I look forward to getting each one!

Old Dryfoot
01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Er, not to complain, Matt, but the Forum header says there are already 4 threads here, yet I only find yours. Can I have the secret password?

If you look under your personal setting for the forum you will find an option that allows you to display all threads, threads from the last 24 hours, the last year, and so on. This is also available at the bottom of each forum however setting if from that point is not a persistent setting and it will revert to the forum's default setting. Hope that helps.

BTW... I loved seeing a Shanty Boat on the cover and would welcome more such surprises in the future.

Gerarddm
01-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Nothing wrong at all with shantyboat cover story. It's wood, isn't it?

An occasional Nautical Research Journal type story would be interesting. In that vein, though, I thought the Uffa Fox series overlong.

In the military forum field there is a concept of the walk-around, a comprehensive photo essay ( some also with text ) that goes into great detail about a particular weapon system, be it tank or aircraft, etc. It might be very instructional, not to mention inspirational, to see something similar comprehensive on great boats- A Fife, a Herreshoff, a J-Boat, etc.

CEFeighn
01-07-2012, 04:51 PM
This will be a great part of the forum. The lastest issue was great as they all are, thank you.

Canoeyawl
01-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I miss the "Matter of Detail" articles by Maynard Bray.
Arguably the very best of the magazine's section articles, I think that important details of construction are becoming lost to the vissisitudes of modern wooden boat construction. Many details often ignored as frivolous, some hidden and some prominent, are there to provide longivity to a wooden structure. As this lastest generation of small craft comes to maturity this lack or loss of knowledge will inevitably lead to more slander upon wooden boats. This argument already has some long legs with the plywood and solid-wood controversy here on the forum.

DavidF
01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
The recent issue was one of my favorites. It had a wide range of articles, something for everyone. I like the respect for tradition and the interest in new approaches to old problems. Keep it pragmatic. But be sure to keep it up. (Yes, I am a subscriber and although I don't still have issue #1, I remember reading it when I was a kid. Still addicted.)
David

Chip-skiff
01-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks for adding this. There are often threads commenting on the content of the magazine, such as the Shanty Boat piece, which I liked.

One suggestion: authors tend to supply more detail, both photos and descriptions, than will fit in the magazine. If this Forum demonstrates anything, it is our hunger for details, specifics, close-up photos, etc.

Would this be a good context for some of the details edited out of the publication to be shared? And for a bit more dialogue between the authors of pieces in WB and the members of the Forum?

David G
01-07-2012, 06:35 PM
I will also applaud your decision to add this section.

On the shantyboat cover... I love it.

Lance F. Gunderson
01-07-2012, 06:36 PM
You mentioned the shanty boat article and what we thought of it....
I thought it was a great read! I typically don't read every article completely, but that one I did. I apparently wasn't the only one to question the cost to build, however. Was that accurate, and if so, why?

Keep up the good work on the magazine. I look forward to getting each one!

I love the Shanty boat, and sighed with delight when I first saw it. I was also appalled at the price, but would love to have one. Keep up the good work.

Hwyl
01-07-2012, 07:59 PM
, I thought the Uffa Fox series overlong.

I could have enjoyed it if it 5 times as long.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-07-2012, 08:32 PM
One thing I enjoy about this forum is seeing an amateur, although sometimes an experienced one, restore, build or update their wooden boat. There is an element of comradeship that isn't present in an article about million dollar boats, or uber experienced yards and their projects. A mix of articles is always appreciated, but I really like the amateur stuff, that is written by them as well.

Rich Jones
01-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Don't EVER let David Kasanof retire! Fo'c's'le is the first thing I read every issue.

Bill Huson
01-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Shanty Boat - I had to hide that issue from the Admiral. She would leave dry land for a shanty boat in a heartbeat, but ... but ... but where would I put all my boat building tools? Where would I build? I'd have to add a large barge to the mooring string . . .

Tom Lathrop
01-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Well, since you asked. Nothing wrong with placing a wooden boat of any description the cover and giving it an article. Trouble is, the title of "shanty boat" brings up many visions, none of them like that one. Have to be a pretty rich boat bum to afford that little doll house on the water, though very nicely thought out and beautifully built it may be. Various forums are full of little floating contrivancies where, for a few bucks and some back yard labor, a person can fashion a buoyant magic carpet to get away from it all just as well. Uffa Fox was one of my early boating gurus, so I enjoyed the article on him.

CWSmith
01-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Nothing wrong at all with shantyboat cover story.

I have had several friends say the very same thing. We were all surprised by how much we enjoyed it.

Also, a little tar and hemp every so often is a joy.

Yeadon
01-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Hello Forumites--
The subtitle says it all: This new Forum topic, WoodenBoat Magazine, is a place for WoodenBoat readers to voice their comments, criticisms, and questions regarding the magazine. WoodenBoat’s staff will be watching this space, posing occasional questions here, and answering them from time to time, too.

Why are we doing this? Quite simply, it’s because we value—and need—your feedback in order to fine-tune the contents of the magazine. You are, after all, the very reason we publish WoodenBoat. Until the Forum came along, we sought comment through letters to the editor, e-mails, and conversations at boat shows. With the Forum came magazine-related posts scattered among our six current categories. In fact, one of the inspirations for this new topic heading was a recent discussion in The Bilge. We’d like to move such magazine discussion to a focused place on the Forum, so we we won’t miss your comments and questions; we’d also like to ask some questions of our own. This Forum has power that our other communication channels lack: Here, your comments grow into conversations; it’s a place of real dialogue.

Consider, for example, the shantyboat on the cover of the current issue. That was rather a surprise, wasn’t it? It’s generated a flow of letters to our offices, most of them positive, some of them questioning the boat’s cost. We want to know: Do you think a floating cottage like this one should appear in WoodenBoat? What elements of the magazine do you like? What don’t you like? What broad areas would you like to see covered more deeply? If there’s a magazine-related topic on your mind, start a thread. We’ll always be listening intently, and we’ll respond when it’s appropriate to do so—and as long as a deadline isn’t occupying our attention at that moment.

(If you have a specific article proposal, please don’t post it here. Our Editorial Guidelines are here (http://woodenboat.com/wbmag/guide-lines.html), and they describe the process of submitting a proposal, and the level of detail we require in order to consider an article. We labor mightily to answer every article query, but they must be submitted through the proper channel in order for us to do this.)

As the threads and feedback here grow lively and interesting—and we know they will, given the threads we’ve watched over the years—we’ll publish edited excerpts in the magazine.

Thanks for listening, thanks for speaking up, and thanks for helping us to deliver the magazine you want.

Matt Murphy
Editor

That happened as a part of the set-up. You've not missed anything.
-Scot

This is a good idea, for sure. I applaud your effort. I know that you want to hear from us, but will we be hearing more in return from you?

P.L.Lenihan
01-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Hi,

I've enjoyed WOODENBOAT magazine since issue number 1 and have subscribed,off and on, over the years but finally gave up when I realized my local mag store always recieved WB 2+ weeks before my mailman would crumple, crush,shove and fold mine into my mailbox.

The current issue is a fine one(as have been all the rest) and I enjoy reading WOODENBOAT from front to back regardless the topic. I always find at least one item of real interest. However, I should add that I am a bit of a nut like that and if it is made of wood and floats, then I am interested. It is the only magazine I know of dealing only with wooden boats available from my local mag store. Biographies on designers and builders are also of great value to me,as they allow me,a complete stranger, a glimpse into the nitty gritty realities of anothers' life in boats. It is always comforting to read how folks passionate about boats and boating get or got to live their passion out.

It is very impressive to see mega projects and mega bucks getting blown on a wooden boat. I have no way to ever meet or match those sort of projects but they do blow my socks off! The shanty boat cover/article was a very nice treat as it comes nearer my abilities and wallet, at least if I was to build it. I certainly do not grudge the professional builder his asking price.I just know that I, as a hobbiest, could build one for less. Either way, it is difficult to see how ones enjoyment of the shanty boat on the water would be different,no matter the provenance of the boat.

While it is not clear to me who your target audience is, nor who you wish to attract, I can say that boats more closely approaching a human scale,that is; reasonably achievable by a regular working stiff, have a very strong allure for me and fuel wonderful dreams due to the simple fact they are honestly within my reach. Everything else is just gravy and a tastier gravy would be hard to imagine!!

Thank you for the great effort everyone at WOODENBOAT brings to each issue and thank you too for providing this fine forum. It is a grand adjunct to your magazine and fills in handsomely while I await the next issue!

Sincerely,

Peter Lenihan

Montreal,Quebec

Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver
01-08-2012, 02:31 AM
Shanty article was great - in fact it epitomises the diversity of vessels that can be formed of wood, and as such, should be covered by the publication... and now - I'm off to bed to finish reading it.... :)

ramillett
01-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Matt I use to read many boat magazines to find out whats new out there for my boat , now I only subscribe to WB for 2 reasons #1 my wife can't come up with anything for a birthday present for me :) , #2 WB is the only magazine that still has some ties to my 25 years of owning a wood boat . Now days my thoughts are not on new gadgets , their more on how can I justify keeping a boat that has used 2/3 of my families income for the last 25 years . I look at some of the restoration projects in WB , but think I'm too old to get into that again , I've done the project , now what do I do with it ? Is there a cheep way to keep them ? You can sell them , but I've seen more larger wood boats sold to people who love them , but have no way to maintain them , and end up in some yard , rotting away . I'm wondering if it takes a club or museum to keep them going . Over the last 25 years I've tried to take anyone interested in the boat out sailing , but most people don't have the time , too busy with family , or just trying to survive in this economy . One of my big concerns is if I sell the boat , what well I do then . One idea was build a house , but after seeing the cover of the last WB , that shanty boat did get the design juices going . If you go down and look at my slip and see that over priced piece of water thinking shanty boat , that could be a not so bad retirement pad on the water :) Bob

Paul Fitzgerald
01-08-2012, 06:45 AM
I live in Australia, and subscribed from issue no 3. I still have all the issues from No 1 to around 2004.
I stopped subscribing when I had to use your Aussie agent and found the magazine was regularly in the newsagent several months before I received mine in the mail.
I was also disappointed in the gradual shift from how to build articles to boating history and art once Jon Wilson gave up the editors chair.
I actually bought one in the Newsagent a week ago, it is really a lightweight compared to the old days. I also had to pay $A10 for a two month old magazine.

Eddiebou
01-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Woodenboat is the only magazine to which I currently subscribe. I look forward to getting it in the mail. I really liked the shantyboat article.
I like all of your regular departments. I especially liked the "scrappy" sharpie story. I like regional/historical bits like the boats of Core Sound.
I wish there were more woodenboat stories from around Chesapeake Bay. I got bored with Uffa Fox and I'm not really into the 12' Peapod build. I might come back to either of them one day, though.

Ted Hoppe
01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Once again a wise choice for the best magazine and forum. I often wanted to follow up on an article or move to dissusssion. Look forward to another valuable asset in the wood boat family.

Thanks again for recognizing the possibility. Look forward to this section.

htom
01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I love the Shanty boat, and sighed with delight when I first saw it. I was also appalled at the price, but would love to have one. Keep up the good work.

Yup.

Jay Greer
01-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Wow! I opened the WBF this morning and found your new thread. Great Idea! How did so many get here ahead of me?
Spring tides,
Jay

SchoonerRat
01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Why hasn't this been a part of the WBF from the beginning?

Great new forum!

I have just one comment on the magazine content...MORE SCHOONER STUFF!

Thanks for a great mag and a great forum.

Bert Langley
01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
As with many, Woodenboat is the only boating magazine I subscribe to. I enjoyed the shantyboat article, and suprised myself with how much I enjoyed the series on Uffa Fox. I usually do no much enjoy that type of article.

While I like an occasional article on the restorations/build of the large boats, I am much more a small boat person and like articles on them more.

I usually like the "how-to-build" articles, but one complaint is after the boats are finished there is seldom any info on how they actually perform and few in-the-water shots. I would really like more "after I built it this is how I use it, and this is how I like it" info.

Full Tilt
01-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Wooden Boat is the only publication that I have NEVER missed a copy of. I don't subscribe because it is available weeks earlier at the newstand or my chandlery. I read every word, ads included, often many times over. I used to get 'Cruising World' and when younger, a couple of windsurfing mags, but I just can't stand the rampant consumerism of plastic boating,with its disregard for history and the evolution of traditional design. I do find the separation between what is considered wooden construction and fibreglass construction nebulous at best. A lot of wood went into the building of my Douglas 32', from its balsa core, to the teak dorades, coamings, toe rails, eyebrows, pin rails, hatches, binnacle table, stern seat/fenderboards, boom gallows, cockpit sole and pulpit seat. Not to mention a full teak interior. Bronze hardware is the same as on a wooden boat, so are fasteners and paints and glues, yet, I feel like I'm tresspassing on sacred ground even though there is so much in common between us. I guess I'm living in the overlap.
I love all beautiful boats, regardless of material and I greatly admire those who practice the art of traditional boatbuilding, its just that if I was to own a totally wooden sailboat, it would need be much smaller and simpler than the vessels I currently own if I was going to be able to both maintain it and have time to sail it.

Breakaway
01-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I liked the shantyboat article. I liked it for what it was--call it a design tour. And I liked it because it shows a different way to go boating, besides sail or power and besides what's commonly available via mass manufacturing channels. I enjoy Richard Jaegels column, the Apprentice's Workshop, and Mke O"Brien, and build stories--particularly of small to medium sized boats. Once it gets into a yard doing a build, I'd rather see a focus on one technique or challenge they faced and overcame, rather than a "global" view of the whole deal.

I'd enjoy seeing more design commentary perhaps where just one or three hull features were addressed, say hard chine versus round bilge, or double-ended versus transom and discuss the pros and cons in depth from the standpoints of both build and performance on the water. Opinions from experts on the why as well as the what.

I dont subscribe but do buy it off the newstand every month. I have most of about 15 years worth, but have missed a few issues.

Kevin

Kyle Horton
01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
All I want to know is when my next issue will arrive! I resubbed ~Xmas and am curious when my Jan/Feb issue will arrive.

MPM
01-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Wow! What a lively and thoughtful set of responses. You've generated a lot of topics that we'd like to explore more deeply with you. I think that's best done in separate threads, so keep an eye on things here in the following weeks and months. Thank you!
Matt Murphy

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Matt, I'm sure we all have our individual set of desires when it comes to articles in WB, but one thing I was wondering about since the creation of this section, is how a modern print media adapts to the innovation offered in this forum, Facebook, twitter, myspace etc.

Journalism sometimes lags behind in this hispeed information age... Perhaps some integrated stories that have WB magazine presence, as well as forum and facebook presence is a way to boost overall interest in the what WB does. Rather than redundant posts, perhaps technical portions remain in the magazine, and reader builds of WB offered plans on facebook, and the forum in a more formal process. ... but keeping the fun in it.

Bill R
01-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Loved the Shantyboat article.

earling2
01-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I think if the average, non-wooden boat person got hold of a current issue, they'd get the impression that wooden boats are elitist and/or for perfectionists, based on the This Old House sized budgets that people seem to be working with. Love the magazine, I probably have 95% of the issues, but as the years pass, it seems to reflect wealth and leisure more than it used to. I would love to see regularly posted adventure/gunkholing articles in wooden craft.

john welsford
01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I understand why you are surveying forum members, and their input will be valuable. But in order to maintain circulation, or increase it, it would be very helpful to know what those who have an interest in wooden boats but who do not subscribe to the magazine or the forum would like, find out what it would take to bring them into the fold.
Hard to do, but perhaps a questionnair at the wb stand at boat shows, with prizes as an incentive for those who take the trouble to fill the forms out and put them in "the box"?
John Welsford

C. Ross
01-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Matt
Thank you for doing this.
First, I'm sure you keep track of article categories carefully, and there seems to be a good balance between new builds, restoration and maintenance, home builds, designs, historical features, etc. My view is that I am only going to buy or build a new boat every couple of years, but I use my boat weekly (most days in summer). I'd like to see more articles about how to maintain, restore, renovate, and use my boat. There are some articles that have been go-tos for me: the chemistry of wood bleaching, caulking, painting, varnishing. If you look at the active Forum threads, some of the longest running and most widely read are vigorous discussions about various techniques for repair, maintenance and restoration. I also read articles about seamanship carefully and always learn something. I would love to see more articles about various wooden boat shows.
Second, I acknowledge this is a parochial interest, but I own a 36' power cruiser. While there is a very active market in runabouts, the cruiser market is languishing badly. I worry that the declining value of cruisers means that they will not be maintained and will disappear. And while replica runabouts are built, I am not aware of significant construction of new wooden cruisers. Won't it be a shame if the last Monks, Elcos, Matthews, Lymans, Wheelers, Trumpys, Richardsons, Grandys, Taylors, Owens, and Blanchards disappear because of disinterest? I'd like to see WoodenBoat put some focus on these boats, and at least help document them before the last ones are broken up.
To Mr. Welsford's excellent comment just above, I agree and think the "getting started in boating" series have been excellent.
Thank you
Cris Ross

Roger Cumming
01-08-2012, 11:13 PM
The magazine continues to be an excellent source of information about wooden boats. As one with an interest in wooden boat building and design but little firsthand experience in it, I would like to see articles about builders' current practices and techniques. Are computers having any effect in modern wooden boat design and construction as they are in every other industry?

JonWilson
01-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Seeing all the interaction here is already exciting. And in the category of Be Careful What You Wish For, we're all hoping we can manage to keep up with you! Thanks for being there.

landlocked sailor
01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Jon, the irony of you as a junior member is rich! I cannot get this image out of my mind. http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=jon+wilson+on+the+tree+mounted+telephone&oq=jon+wilson+on+the+tree+mounted+telephone&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=11371l21874l0l23247l44l34l1l21l0l9l285l1744 l0.10.2l12l0

Rick

rufustr
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I subscribe to the Magazine because I think subscriptions somehow help the magazine to survive.

I now have both hard copy and digital subscriptions because I find it hard to wait several weeks after new issues are discussed here and the arrival of my hard copy.

I see this as a significant problem but it is caused by postal issues not of Wooden Boats making.

I am looking at my shelf of Wooden Boat Magazines now. and I read and reread every one.

My favourite parts of the forum are the Building and Design sections and I would like to see more emphasis on these subjects in the Magazine.

I read elsewhere the suggestion that the Annual Small Boat Designs issue be offered to long term subscribers as part of their subscription, and think that may act as a good inducement to perhaps commit to a 3 year subscription.

Thanks for an iconic publication.

(Edited to add that I already have a 3 year subscription.|;))

JonWilson
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes -- ever a junior. That picture sure brings it back, when WB was literally a kitchen table operation, back in the woods.

switters
01-09-2012, 07:07 PM
In Colorado we cant rely on finding the magazine on a regular basis. So I was very happy when the latest issue showed up in the mail and I took the plastic off. My first thought was Harry Bryan? I thought no, just because i read the lady bug article 60 times doesn't mean that I can recognize one his boats. But I did.

Wooden boat has also inspired me to build some kid friendly boats, and a guy I know has started to do after school workshops with kids to teach them about simple things that some fathers dont seem to teach anymore, like using power tools and rewiring light switches. And, building one sheet skiffs; so I was very happy to pass along the article on using boat building to teach math. Excellent! And the getting started in boats feature is usually one of the first things I turn to.

Old Dryfoot
01-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Yes -- ever a junior. That picture sure brings it back, when WB was literally a kitchen table operation, back in the woods.

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/8776/jonwilsonyq1.jpg (http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/8776/jonwilsonyq1.jpg)

mcdenny
01-09-2012, 08:14 PM
RIck, You beat me to it. Jon Wilson as a junior member!

Jon, Do you feel reincarnated as a newbie in digital media? You can change that tag line, you know.

Sailor
01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I agree with the "unlimited budget" idea. We need some everyday joe type of information because most of us are just everyday joes when it comes to our bank accounts.

Nicholas Scheuer
01-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Great idea for an index category!

RichKrough
01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I have been an off and on reader and subscriber of Wooden boat for 20 years. I always have viewed Woodenboat as esoteric and the boats too high maintenance and unobtainable ( like the women in Playboy) for sailors like myself. But I wouldn't want you to change. We all still need to dream.

John Bell
01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
This year I let my subscription lapse after about 15 years. In that time, Woodenboat has served as inspiration through building of three boats of my own and the development of some of my own designs that I've been fortunate enough to have seen built in modest numbers around the world. But in the last few few years I realized that I wasn't enjoying the magazine as much, mostly due to my changing interests. These days I'm much more focused on using my boats rather than building them. So for inspiration I now tend to seek out more stories about pushing the limits of small open boats instead of how to build them.

I loved all my back issues and frequently went back to re-read favorite articles and photo-essays. But my little office was getting precariously close to "hoarder" status with 15 years of WBs and about 20 years worth of MAIBs and I gave them all away last week to a fellow enthusiast friend who I'm sure will love them very much.

I'll probably pick up an issue of WB off the newstand every now and then when I see something of specific interest to, but I just don't see subscribing again for a while. Instead, I'm planning to do more boating and less reading about it.

JonWilson
01-10-2012, 11:53 AM
This picture (February 1975) grows more hilarious every day -- even though it still seems like only last month that I was taking the Jeep down the 3/4 mile to the phone on the old White Pine to make calls.

wbrobin
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
These days I'm much more focused on using my boats rather than building them. So for inspiration I now tend to seek out more stories about pushing the limits of small open boats instead of how to build them.

John,
You might be very interested in an article coming out in our March/April issue about a man who sailed his 14' pram from Iowa down to the Gulf of Mexico and up the Atlantic Coast to Maine.

Robin

John Bell
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
John,
You might be very interested in an article coming out in our March/April issue about a man who sailed his 14' pram from Iowa down to the Gulf of Mexico and up the Atlantic Coast to Maine.

Robin

Thanks, I'll definitely look for that one.

jimmy lee
01-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I like this new thread. The current issue with the Shanty Boat, My Wife liked it also. I enjoy any article that is related to a Wooden Boat. The info on this forum is priceless. I also, only subscribe to Woodenboat Magazine. Thanks Guys.

almeyer
01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I agree with the "unlimited budget" idea. We need some everyday joe type of information because most of us are just everyday joes when it comes to our bank accounts.

+1. The "big boats" are enjoyable to read about (and dream about), but I especially enjoy the articles about small craft. The recent series on Arch Davis' Peapod was especially good. Also really fond of the Apprentice's Workbench series.
Al

Chris Coose
01-16-2012, 01:19 PM
I have been accused of being a provincialist down in the Bilge, and so I am, and so I don't have a lot to add cept if you filled the mag with articles regarding the fellows at the Johns Bay Boat Company and what they are up to or what it feels like the first time you enter Seal Trap at half tide, I'd be plenty pleased.
I have been away, up until this past year, as a subscriber and found a nice handling magazine with a good move to simple and unpretentious graphics.

elf
01-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Took me a while to realize that your Shanty boat is just another name for what we call around here a houseboat. Woods Hole has a fabulous collection of them, hauled in to Eel Pond for the winter and back out to Great Harbor for the summer. They are nearly all eternally under construction and improvement and objects of real substance, like the shanty boat on the cover.

Here are a few of them on New Year's Day:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/404304_10150501240299917_749884916_8516468_1722945 562_n.jpg

And one of my favorites - so photogenic!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/168851_490043264916_749884916_5713259_4738654_n.jp g

John Bell
01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
HOw about changing the "Resources/Products Search" section to "Tools / Materials / Techniques / Products Discussion". The "Search" designator seems to imply that people should only post there if they are looking for something they can't find. I think this is one reason this potentially valuable section doesn't get a lot of message traffic. There always seems to be discussion about tools and similar topics scattered all around the forum and it would be good if they had their own home. As more and more topics are added over time, it could become a much more valuable resource.

Scot
01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Let's see what happens.

-Scot

Stu Fyfe
01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
I've been "All In" since 1984. Have every issue from that date forward. Attended most of the Shows. Exhibited my boat at three of them. 1995 Southwest Harbor. 96 Mystic and back to Mystic in 07. On the Forum daily. I'd like to see the Launchings section expanded. And it would be nice to see the Matter of Detail section return. Other than that, keep up the great work!

Roger Cumming
01-27-2012, 11:40 PM
I especially like what Richard Jagels has to say each month grounded as it is in fact rather than opinion. I ignore what Mr. Kasanof has to say as I have for decades but I do appreciate that he is allowed to hold forth on matters of absolutely no concern or interest to me. In between the two are stories rich in boats, building, sailing, dreaming and boat lore. I compare Woodenboat with The New Yorker, a magazine which has survived for a very long time by featuring good writing, high standards and a price commensurate with its quality. I wish Woodenboat would become a weekly like the New Yorker.

MoMan
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I especially appreciate the "Getting Started ... " series. Thank you for remembering that not all of your readers are highly experienced old salts.

One thing I'd like to see more of is articles on specific tools: techniques, history, maintenance, etc.

jimmy lee
02-09-2012, 10:31 PM
I especially like the articles on small boats from 8ft to 16ft. Row boats, sailboats, Kayaks, Electric driven boats,and motorboats. To Matt or Tom, increasing the Launchings section, would make Me happy. I really enjoy seeing someone else launch Their build. It is inspiring. Thanks to all the Staff at Woodenboat.

johnno
02-10-2012, 02:53 AM
I admit to being a magazine junkie when it comes to magazines related to my interests and hobbies. I've subscribed to WB since about 1985 and never grown tired of it. I have also subscribed to quite a few other magazines on flyfishing, on boats, on aircraft and on caravans.

I cancelled my subscriptions to all those other magazines after somewhere between a year and two, as soon as they began to effectively repeat their main content (albeit dressed up to look like something new!). They were all very well produced quality magazines but nonetheless they had little to offer after a while.

Wooden Boat on the other hand has found a great balance between humble boats and the very grand, between working boats and recreational boats, between motor and sail, between how to do articles for newcomers and sophisticated boat building craft, between a love of tradition and of the new and inventive.

My message: don't change that too much, because it distinguishes you from others.

As a side note, some boating magazines could once survive as pictorial journals of boats otherwise hard to find. The internet has changed all that and now boating imagery is easily and readily found. It's the intelligent, practical and informative journalism around the pictorials that you excel at and that's what I love so much.

jimmy lee
02-10-2012, 04:02 PM
johnno! I second that to Your comments!

Paul Griffin
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Love the magazine.

Always thought the masthead should read: "The Magazine for Wooden Boat Owners, Builders, Designers, and Dreamers"

woodpile
02-26-2012, 12:34 PM
From one of those regular Joe's, just keep doing what you've been doing, overall I consider your topics "fair and balanced" and there wouldn't be a beautiful Jerricho Bay Lobster Skiff sitting in the garage if it wasn't for what you guy's/gal's do, thanks.

Don

spirit
02-26-2012, 01:26 PM
I have two suggestions for new articles.

(1) Since most of us use plywood and epoxy to build our new boats, I'd like to see a balanced non-proprietary discussion of modern epoxies and their use. A beginner has access to a great deal of excellent information, but can still be easily bewildered by the different epoxies, pumps, mixing containers, blushes, glass fabrics and tapes, sandpapers, paint incompatibilities etc etc.

(2) I'd like to see some discussion (or competition) about small, shallow-bodied, highly trailerable (under 1500 pounds), at-least-two-berth, very seaworthy, semi-planing, efficient family motor sailers. I have in mind a decked, flat-bottomed 24-foot boat with a draft less than one foot, an outboard 25 HP or less, bunks on the floor, an alcohol stove, portable potty, and a simple sail rig for fun and getting home if the engine quits.

johngsandusky
03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Apparently not, since a recent complaint has been removed.

Full Tilt
03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Yahoo! Phoned my chandlery and March/April has arrived! Can't wait to see Stephanes' boat on the cover.
My 'dream' issue would include an article with ten different, beachable, cruiseable rowable 17'-18' footers in it.
I want to build my first boat (re-builds don't count) and am looking for something a little more capable than my
St. Lawrence Skiff for traveling.
Mike

rogue
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I loved the shantyboat and the fact that it made the cover. I also have every wooden boat magazine although when we were cruising I didn't have a subscription...they are a great resource that I usually read cover to cover more than once. Maynard Bray's "Attention to Detail" articles were a favorite, and I think that more attention (space) could be given to "Around the yards". In truth, one magazine cannot satisfy everyone..it is always a fine line when choosing the articles for any given month, but overall, I give Wooden Boat an "A". That said, I dearly miss "Maritime Life and Traditions" and looked forward to it's arrival even more than WB. How about a quarterly along the same lines?

peter radclyffe
03-08-2012, 02:27 PM
I have two suggestions for new articles.

(1) Since most of us use plywood and epoxy to build our new boats, I'd like to see a balanced non-proprietary discussion of modern epoxies and their use. A beginner has access to a great deal of excellent information, but can still be easily bewildered by the different epoxies, pumps, mixing containers, blushes, glass fabrics and tapes, sandpapers, paint incompatibilities etc etc.

(2) I'd like to see some discussion (or competition) about small, shallow-bodied, highly trailerable (under 1500 pounds), at-least-two-berth, very seaworthy, semi-planing, efficient family motor sailers. I have in mind a decked, flat-bottomed 24-foot boat with a draft less than one foot, an outboard 25 HP or less, bunks on the floor, an alcohol stove, portable potty, and a simple sail rig for fun and getting home if the engine quits.

there is nothing seaworthy about this

P.L.Lenihan
03-09-2012, 01:28 AM
It would be nice to see articles along the lines of this particular forum post:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?144923-Build-your-own-gimballed-boat-stove-step-by-step-By-James-McMullen-revived-again

There are surely many very creative and ingenious readers, who over the years have brought forth wonderful crafty stuff which some may find more than useful. Building a woodenboat, no matter the method used, eventually brings out the tinkerer in all of us. An article like that shown in the above link, would be a good boost up the tinkerers' learning curve and may even lead to wonderful innovations.

Cheers!

Peter

P.S. I have no fiscal or remuneratory relationship with Mr.McMullen, even though I think he is a stand up chap, regardless the many dastardly rumours to the contrary.

gilberj
03-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Firstly I think you might be on to something very interesting, with the magazine formally linked to some or a lot of the readers in the forum,(or is that forumally). It kind of takes the idea of a magazine to a new level in this digital/social-media time. Sort of a collaboration or readers/writers and publishers. I am mildly surprised the no-one has seen this. I guess most of us are well older farts.
I do not subscribe but probably should. I buy about 2 out of three anyway. I have subscribed in the past but let it lapse for various reasons. Oh I have three wooden boats now.
Some people have talked about the rather surprising price tag on the lovely shanty boat. We have a vision of a simpler life and a simpler time, when the biggest problem is where the fly swatter is for that one annoying insect, ( our dreams are not infested with ten-thousand mosquitoes ). The truth is boat builders and other folk need a living wage. I also try to farm and I cannot sell my produce for enough to make wages, and pay for the cost of production. I have to work off the land as well. (if you are asking how I manage three wooden boats and a farm and a full time job the simple answer is not as well as I'd like to.)
I like the idea of a magazine as a dialogue.....

Oh I really liked the article in the latest issue about the cost and value of building a boat. And what a beauty she is......

spirit
03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
there is nothing seaworthy about this

I take your point, Peter, given the usual definition of "seaworthy."
I should have said, and wish to say, "capable of going offshore in fair weather," for example, capable of going to Nantucket from Cape Cod, or capable of going to Bimini from Miami.
Perhaps I should also add "self-bailing."

gilberj
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Seaworthiness is alway relevant to the intended voyage. A canoe is a fine seaworthy craft for crossing a small lake on a fine summer day. ( Don't forget the bread, cheese, wine and of course the beautiful woman ). The boat described can be reasonably seaworthy in the same context that many trailer sailors are. It sounds very like the Nimble sailboats.