PDA

View Full Version : Take this quiz to see who you really like for President.

pefjr
01-04-2012, 08:30 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/candidate-match-game

Surprised?

Keith Wilson
01-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Not at all.

Obama 11
Huntsman 2
Ron Paul 1

You can almost always tell which one is Obama's position because it's the only one with any details.

ccmanuals
01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I wasn't.

Glen Longino
01-04-2012, 08:51 PM
No surprise at all!
How about you, Bud?
Were you surprised?

Meli
01-04-2012, 09:06 PM
stupid questions with a conservative bias. I voted non of the above on about 6 :rolleyes:
Looks like that makes me an Obama girl :D

SMARTINSEN
My preferences ended up as Obama-Huntsman-Paul.
I then did the sliders on the importance scale, and ended up with Obama-Romney-Huntsman.

I would happily vote Obama-Huntsman/2012

I would have been surprised if it ended up Bachman-Perry-Santorum:D

Mrleft8
Nope.... No surprise.
I'm guessing that Jr. ended up siding with Obama by mistake, or he wouldn't have been surprised....

pefjr
01-04-2012, 09:07 PM
No surprise at all!
How about you, Bud?
Were you surprised?Not with the first two, but Gingrich came up third and upset my whole dadblamed day! Then I thought about it, there were no moral issues to eliminate his corrupt @ss.

David G
01-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Huntsman, Obama, Romney

Not surprised.

Glen Longino
01-04-2012, 09:20 PM
stupid questions with a conservative bias. I voted non of the above on about 6 :rolleyes:
Looks like that makes me an Obama girl :D

Yep, I would have thought you to be an Obama girl!

Bruce Hooke
01-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Obama 9
Huntsman 2
Perry 2

Not really surprised. This quiz is really more useful if you lean right and are trying to figure out which candidate best matches with your views.

RichKrough
01-04-2012, 09:38 PM
I was surprised that Obama scored 9 with me. I haven't been especially pleased with him and I think he is an ineffective leader. However considering the GOP offerings I can safely say I'm in the tank for "O"

Huntsman and Ron Paul each scored 2. I was surprised Romney scored zero.

htom
01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Very disappointed in the questions. Lots of times I could think of three or four positions that I'd rather take, and "none" really didn't fit. Huntsman was closest, 5

Garret
01-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Obama 6
Paul 2
Huntsman 1

Not surprised in the tiniest bit, but there were poor choices for answers - many right options, few left.

Arizona Bay
01-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Sure has a right wing bias...

1 of 11 agreements for all top three, but they list it as...

#1 Bachmann
#2 Gingrich
where the only agreement is about experience

#3 Pres. O'bama, where the agreement is about taxes

leikec
01-04-2012, 09:54 PM
7 out of 11 for Obama

2 out of 11 for Romney

1 out of 11 for Huntsman

Jeff C

Bruce Hooke
01-04-2012, 11:14 PM

1 of 11 agreements for all top three, but they list it as...

#1 Bachmann
#2 Gingrich
where the only agreement is about experience

#3 Pres. O'bama, where the agreement is about taxes

Did you adjust the percent slider for any of the items? If so, that could tip it one way or the other. If not, it may have tried to work out if your selections where you did not agree directly with any of your top three were closer to some of the your top three than others.

CWSmith
01-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Very disappointed in the questions. Lots of times I could think of three or four positions that I'd rather take, and "none" really didn't fit.

Me, too, but I suspect from a different side of the debate.

I thought it had 3 or 4 fine distinctions of Republican policy and maybe one Democratic view. Very strong right wing slant.

PeterSibley
01-04-2012, 11:27 PM
A massively conservative bias to the questions ! How about a middle of the road quiz with a decent range of options?

Obama
Huntsman
Bachmann ....... I'll never live down the last one .:D

Garret
01-04-2012, 11:28 PM
A massively conservative bias to the questions ! How about a middle of the road quiz with a decent range of options?

Obama
Huntsman
Bachmann ....... I'll never live down the last one .:D

You're both from Oz. It's just that she got there via a tornado........

Bob V
01-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Surprised...my computer froze up for a while and then came back with a picture of Bernie Sanders. ;-)

Keith Wilson
01-04-2012, 11:35 PM
I thought it had 3 or 4 fine distinctions of Republican policy and maybe one Democratic view. Very strong right wing slant. It did, but I think that's because there's only one plausible Democratic candidate and lots of Republican ones - not bias as such, just what they need to distinguish between the candidates.

PeterSibley
01-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Who else is from Oz ? Bachmann?:confused:

elf
01-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Amazing how there were no options there that I could possibly imagine being interested in. The far right bias was so patent. I suppose that's USAToday for you, but what a tragedy for my country.

Keith Wilson
01-04-2012, 11:45 PM
That's the range of candidates we have - from slightly left to very, very far right.

leikec
01-05-2012, 12:04 AM
I really do wonder which Mitt Romney would emerge if he became president. Would he revert back to the moderate politician he was as Governor? Or would he be a rubber stamp for the conservatives?

Jeff C

Keith Wilson
01-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Would he revert back to the moderate politician he was as Governor? He can't anymore; he'd lose the far right wing of the Republican party, which is mostly all that's left; the moderates are just about all gone. And he certainly doesn't seem to have enough backbone to tell his own party they're completely lost it and should go take a cold shower.

pefjr
01-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Surprised...my computer froze up for a while and then came back with a picture of Bernie Sanders. ;-)lol:D

CWSmith
01-05-2012, 02:03 AM
He can't anymore; he'd lose the far right wing of the Republican party, which is mostly all that's left; the moderates are just about all gone. And he certainly doesn't seem to have enough backbone to tell his own party they're completely lost it and should go take a cold shower.

I know a surprising number of moderate Republicans and they are as unhappy as I am. Some are just recently reconsidering their rhetoric and others feel long abandoned.

purri
01-05-2012, 02:03 AM
None. They're all corporate lickspittles.

Meli
01-05-2012, 03:27 AM
I just did it again picking the most right wing reactive options I could guess

Bachman 6, paul6 kerry4. :D

pefjr
01-05-2012, 07:51 AM
I just did it again picking the most right wing reactive options I could guess

Bachman 6, paul6 kerry4. :DI didn't know John was RW. Paul either. Keith is right, there is no left wing anymore. Paul is more left than Obama.

Garret
01-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Who else is from Oz ? Bachmann?:confused:

It's just that she got there via a tornado

Sorry - a reference to The Wizard of Oz & hopefully making one follow up with needing to see the wizard for a brain, heart. whatever.

I get obscure like that - sorry!

spirit
01-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Exactly as expected, despite several questions with no good answer.
Obama is still far and away the top choice.

Tylerdurden
01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
It doesn't matter. Ron Paul has the youth vote by a very wide margin. It's their future you guys messed up so step aside. If not in time they will step over you.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Quizz? I don' need no stinkin' quizz! Obama is the only adult on the ballot.

brad9798
01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Huntsman, Romney, and the Newt!

:D

elf
01-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Just tried it again since some of you actually managed to come in with Obama. There was only one question there that I could click on any box except "none of the above" so I defaulted to Paul. None of the options in any category addressed the problems in any way to resolve them for a nation which has failed so abjectly to anticipate and prepare for the situation we are now in.

Since Mr. Paul represents in nearly every case the exact opposite of most of my preferred solutions for the problems all I can conclude is that the poll is completely lacking in any sort of progressive perspective, and "none of the above" represents simply refusing to participate, which is the epitome of Mr. Paul's approach to governance.

pefjr
01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Just tried it again since some of you actually managed to come in with Obama. There was only one question there that I could click on any box except "none of the above" so I defaulted to Paul. None of the options in any category addressed the problems in any way to resolve them for a nation which has failed so abjectly to anticipate and prepare for the situation we are now in.

Since Mr. Paul represents in nearly every case the exact opposite of most of my preferred solutions for the problems all I can conclude is that the poll is completely lacking in any sort of progressive perspective, and "none of the above" represents simply refusing to participate, which is the epitome of Mr. Paul's approach to governance.Interesting that you are waking up to this discovery that Paul followers have been trying to tell you hard heads. The status quo ain't working. The MIC and all it's hypnotized Congressman and bureaucratized Gov't is going to come crumbling down whether you elect Paul or not. . It's simply a mater of gravity, but keep trying to manipulate Paul out of the quiz, change whatever you like to get the answer you have been hypnotized to believe. Paul is the only trustworthy candidate.

elf
01-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Not waking up. It's been clear for 30 years, longer, that the Republicans have no humane solutions, or even humane imagination about how to deal with the future. Mr. Paul is, possibly, the epitome of that. He actually believes that a nation needs different solutions for every one of its 50 states - surely the most profoundly inefficient way to manage a nation-wide society.

Garret
01-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Since Mr. Paul represents in nearly every case the exact opposite of most of my preferred solutions for the problems all I can conclude is that the poll is completely lacking in any sort of progressive perspective, and "none of the above" represents simply refusing to participate, which is the epitome of Mr. Paul's approach to governance.

No doubt it's lacking. I think that if you try it again & choose the least objectionable choice, but not "none of the above" (kinda like voting...) - you will see a different result. I know I went with a # that were "somewhat vaguely close to what I want".

John Bell
01-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Not surprised. Huntsman, Romney and Obama. I'd only vote for two of them, however.

If he's still in the race during my state primary, Huntsman will get my vote. He's probably too moderate to get the nod, however.

It is interesting what happens to the choices when you adjust the sliders on the left hand side.

Tylerdurden
01-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Not waking up. It's been clear for 30 years, longer, that the Republicans have no humane solutions, or even humane imagination about how to deal with the future. Mr. Paul is, possibly, the epitome of that. He actually believes that a nation needs different solutions for every one of its 50 states - surely the most profoundly inefficient way to manage a nation-wide society.

The collectivist shows her stripes. They want to kill off states rights and move right to soviet style central government.

PhaseLockedLoop
01-05-2012, 12:41 PM

No so much that it's lacking any sort of progressive perspective as that none of the candidates have the slightest progressive perspective. After all the quiz is about which of a list of shulbs you prefer for president, not what kind of president you'd prefer, thread title to the contrary notwithstanding. I don't want any of 'em. Thus my signature.

pefjr
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Not waking up. It's been clear for 30 years, longer, that the Republicans have no humane solutions, or even humane imagination about how to deal with the future. Mr. Paul is, possibly, the epitome of that. He actually believes that a nation needs different solutions for every one of its 50 states - surely the most profoundly inefficient way to manage a nation-wide society.Now you are snoozing again, that was just a little toss and turn I guess, Oh well it's status quo for the rip van winkles. BTW, speaking of humane, are you gonna sleep thru Obama's humane Drone war? What has the "Good War" accomplished? Besides modernizing drug agriculture? Are you even aware of the numbers of allied expendable lives wasted on this Good War? Tell me the number. On the question about Afghanistan, what did you answer? Did you snore right thru thought and support the 'humane' efforts of your savior Obama? Go back to sleep.

Bruce Hooke
01-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Just tried it again since some of you actually managed to come in with Obama. There was only one question there that I could click on any box except "none of the above" so I defaulted to Paul.

It did not "default" to Paul, it was simply that on the one question where you did not choose "none of the above" you selected the "Ron Paul answer" so that placed you closer to Paul than anyone else on the quiz. I just tried and if you select "none of the above" for every question you get a message saying nobody matched your choices. On Paul, there are a handful of places where Ron Paul's positions are in line with liberal values. Of course in a lot of other areas he is somewhere way, way, way out to the right.

What this quiz does demonstrate is the importance of compromise. Very, very few of us get the exact candidate we would like. Even in a primary with half a dozen candidates there is still a very good chance that we will not agree completely with anyone, and by the time we get to the general election it is often down to two choices so it is pretty much guaranteed that we will not get our ideal candidate as a choice. That's the nature of a democracy. As others have already said in other ways, simply choosing none of the above is like not voting in the election because you are at the point of saying everyone on the ballot is so far from my position that I don't care who wins. There are lots of people who think this way but it is a thought pattern that I have to admit rather baffles me.

If I have a dispute with the quiz it is that if I could see more complete positions from each of the candidates, I suspect that I would find myself disagreeing with positions that in one sentence format sound reasonable. The Medicare question is a prime example. A number of the positions listed sound to me like they could be the start of a reasonable solution to the problems with Medicare but there is so much left out that I feel like with more details I might say "yes, that sounds reasonable" to one idea and so "hell no, that is basically an attempt to destroy Medicare" to another idea that sounds reasonable in one sentence format.

Bruce Hooke
01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Now you are snoozing again, that was just a little toss and turn I guess, Oh well it's status quo for the rip van winkles. BTW, speaking of humane, are you gonna sleep thru Obama's humane Drone war? What has the "Good War" accomplished? Besides modernizing drug agriculture? Are you even aware of the numbers of allied expendable lives wasted on this Good War? Tell me the number. On the question about Afghanistan, what did you answer? Did you snore right thru thought and support the 'humane' efforts of your savior Obama? Go back to sleep.

So am I supposed to chose Paul because I agree with him on one point even if I strongly disagree with him on dozens of other points? That is as absurd as choosing none of the above for every answer because the ideal answer is not listed.

CWSmith
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM

They call it "state's rights", but it's really divide and conquer. They now have corporate money buying Washington. It will be easy state-by-state.

Meli
01-05-2012, 02:53 PM
It's funny, your system.:)
If this were Australia, there would be two parties campaigning, that of the opposition (republicans) and the incumbent (dems).
It seems like in your country, it's like a game of "king of the castle", the incumbent just sits there on top of the hill waiting to be pushed off.:D
So when do the dems start their defence campaign?

It seems weird to me that the republican nominees are getting months of media attention to tout their package with no reply from the democrats.
I wonder if you asked all those questions of the POTUS, what he'd say the forward plan is?
I suppose they are saving it up for the real elaction so it's not stale.

elf
01-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Look, guys. if this quiz were about which Republican candidate you come closest to, it would be a valid quiz. But it doesn't make that claim, because it includes Mr. Obama as one of the possible candidates.

However, none of the questions is actually something he might be advocating, if he weren't burdened with the crazies in the opposition. So it doesn't even represent him as well as it might.

The really bad thing about it, however, is that by not presenting any other choices it pretends that the items on the list are the only options, which enables people to pretend that they are the only options - something which is making the country sick.

Lew Barrett
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm forced to agree that the test seems biased towards conservative solutions.
It identified my first choice clearly enough, with Obama in a commanding lead, but then selected Paul as my second choice and....can you believe it....Rick Perry as my third, whereas, at least emotionally, Huntsman is my clear first choice in the Republican field, and second overall to Obama . I didn't spend much time at all with prioritizing and as usual, I just skimmed the general questions for my immediate first response. A mulligan might alter my place and show results, but the impression of bias I had when taking the poll is reinforced by the results. Frequently I had to select answers that were the best of the offerings rather than finding one that reflected my real opinions.

I guess you could say I was surprised, but only in respect to how it ranked my feelings about R contenders in relationship to each other.

elf
01-05-2012, 03:27 PM
It seems weird to me that the republican nominees are getting months of media attention to tout their package with no reply from the democrats.
I wonder if you asked all those questions of the POTUS, what he'd say the forward plan is?

Wait 'til we get past the primary season. You'll see how the system works then. There is no opposition to the current incumbent because the Democrats know better than to risk losing the government to the Regressives, so they won't mount any opposition, and if they're smart they will squelch any opposition. They can point at the 2000 election to any dope who tries to run a competitor for the President from the Democratic side. Nader totally f*cked the country by running in 2000, and the poor gullible far left ran chasing after him as though it was a smart thing to do when even a thinking person could imagine how impotent he would have been if he'd won.

To me the most important part of this primary season for the Regressives is what it reveals about the different quantities of support for the different perspectives in the Republican party. Just the fact that there was a substantive drop in participation in the caucuses in Iowa reveals that a lot of usually Regressive people simply didn't like any of the options. But if you look carefully you will see that more people voted for the more Regressives than for any one of the three top finishers among the possibles. That means that more people are comfortable with the sham Christianism of Bachman/Perry/Gingrich than with the real Christianism of Santorum - a somewhat hopeful thing for the nation.

And, of course, if you read the comments on this forum from the Progressives you'll see that we're delighted that the Regressives are parading their stingy, self-centered, fear-mongering, impractical and insulting philosophies across the land. In fact, we're delighted that they're so gullible as to believe they should be parading themselves around at all.

Good politicians play their cards close to the chest.

pefjr
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Meli ever answer to getting Kerry in her picks?

Bruce Hooke
01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm forced to agree that the test seems biased towards conservative solutions.
It identified my first choice clearly enough, with Obama in a commanding lead, but then selected Paul as my second choice and....can you believe it....Rick Perry as my third, whereas, at least emotionally, Huntsman is my clear first choice in the Republican field, and second overall to Obama . I didn't spend much time at all with prioritizing and as usual, I just skimmed the general questions for my immediate first response. A mulligan might alter my place and show results, but the impression of bias I had when taking the poll is reinforced by the results. Frequently I had to select answers that were the best of the offerings rather than finding one that reflected my real opinions.

I guess you could say I was surprised, but only in respect to how it ranked my feelings about R contenders in relationship to each other.

I did some playing around with the quiz and it became pretty clear that in the situation where you are strongly leaning towards Obama the test is not really very useful for determining which Republican might be your second or third choice. To do better at that the test would have to have quite a few more questions.

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
01-05-2012, 06:14 PM
They call it "state's rights", but it's really divide and conquer. They now have corporate money buying Washington. It will be easy state-by-state.

That's right. Just ask the people in Ukraine, Georgia, and Lithuania if you want to know how bad state governance can be. They would probably give their formerly collective right arms to be back under Moscow's control. I hear Putin's cronies are very benevolent in their corruption.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
It's funny, your system.:)
If this were Australia, there would be two parties campaigning, that of the opposition (republicans) and the incumbent (dems).
It seems like in your country, it's like a game of "king of the castle", the incumbent just sits there on top of the hill waiting to be pushed off.:D
So when do the dems start their defence campaign?

You have a parliamentary system. We don't.
Our president is both "head of government" like your prime minister and "head of state" like your
queen. That means that our guy/lady has many more ways to screw up.
Your government can "fall" before the prime minister gets a key to his/her washroom. We are stuck with our president for four long years no matter what.
So go easy on the comparisons because there aren't many that are valid.

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Nader totally f*cked the country by running in 2000, and the poor gullible far left ran chasing after him as though it was a smart thing to do...

...if you read the comments on this forum from the Progressives you'll see that we're delighted that the Regressives are parading their stingy, self-centered, fear-mongering, impractical and insulting philosophies across the land. In fact, we're delighted that they're so gullible as to believe they should be parading themselves around at all.

Good politicians play their cards close to the chest.

Spoken like a true status-quo Democrat. I see nothing Progressive about that post, or most of the posters here.

Garret
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Spoken like a true status-quo Democrat. I see nothing Progressive about that post, or most of the posters here.

Not really, Nader is a sleazy, self-serving, sanctimonious jerk who got his start by lying & has continued to do so ever since.

Other than that I guess he's OK.......

bobbys
11-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Ted Cruz

Garret
11-02-2013, 02:41 PM
You must be cruzin for a bruzin to say that on this forum... :)

wardd
11-02-2013, 09:41 PM
i'm for the one that will give me freebies