PDA

View Full Version : yuck - straight from 1978

Paul Pless
01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Other than removing the mirror, this is exactly how our master bath has looked since we moved in. We tried scrubbing it once or twice to no avail and quickly moved to using the main bathroom in our house and kind of avoiding and ignoring this. Purty ain't it?

Those missing tiles have been there, I didn't remove them before snapping the photo.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/DSC_3568.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/DSC_3567.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/DSC_3569.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/DSC_3573.jpg

Paul Pless
01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
I really dislike the low ceiling above the shower and don't understand why anybody would find it an attractive feature. Also really dislike the stomped ceiling. So this will be completely revamped.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/DSC_3574.jpg

Paul Pless
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
This afternoon I removed the vanity, toilet, bathtub, fixtures, and capped off the plumbing. Interesting to find a brand new circa 1978 Stanley Tape measure under the bathtub.:D

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/DSC_3576.jpg

Paul Pless
01-03-2012, 07:22 PM
The previous homeowner was a mastercaulker.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/DSC_3575.jpg

Paul Pless
01-03-2012, 07:28 PM
You guys may remember this. Dude was consistent for sure, there were at least 20 nails in a row holding the vanity to the wall, only two of which were into studs. What a dork. . .

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/Picture-2.jpg

Woxbox
01-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Hey, some day fake marble will be the vintage trend.

Bruce Hooke
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I actually kind of like the wall tile pattern, but the rest of it is not particularly inspring.

Paul Pless
01-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I actually kind of like the wall tile pattern,I'll be sure to save some of it to give you at next years boat show.:D

I think there may be anew unused box of it in the basement to boot.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I actually kind of like the wall tile pattern, but the rest of it is not particularly inspring.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bruce Taylor
01-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Ours was worse. :D

Have you looked inside that low ceiling? Maybe there's a duct in there. Or a first wife...

Todd D
01-03-2012, 08:06 PM
So are you switching to avocado fixtures :D

Paul Pless
01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Have you looked inside that low ceiling? Maybe there's a duct in there. Or a first wife...There's nothing in that 'return'. Its a architectural feature that was used in the other bathroom as well as the kitchen. Our duct work runs in the floor. Dude packed a suitcase for his first wife and drove her to 'his' mother's house. When he brought his mistress home his kids moved in with the neighbors. I found most of his wife's belongings in our pond. ****** up.

rbgarr
01-03-2012, 08:13 PM

LOL. I was about to say the same thing... and I kind of like the blue tub and commode also! Not that I'd want either of those two. I have become so used to the taller commode heights that when I have to use the lower old-style ones it comes as a shock how 'far down' they are.

Rich Jones
01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Our previous house was built in 1969. We moved into it in 1981. Since then, the wife has had me remodel the kitchen three times, the main bath twice, the master bath twice, replaced every door and window (some more than once).
That's why she married a contractor/carpenter! Having just moved to Vermont, the first thing she had me do was have a big extension put on the place.
Paul's pictures bring back memories. Our bathrooms used to look like that, too.
For me, the hardest part of bathroom renovation was removing the tile floor. Many of them were tile over cement with mesh underneath. Some of these could be real bears to remove.

Paul Pless
01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
So are you switching to avocado fixtures :Dkinda partial to harvest gold:D

Ron Williamson
01-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Someday, someone will find my Channellocks.
I think I know where they are,but I don't wanna go back.

We'd call that "feature" a soffit or a bulkhead.
It looks like a tall guy might scratch his head on it.
Paint that toilet,maybe Cranberry or Harvest Gold.
R

JimD
01-03-2012, 08:30 PM

If only my epoxy filets looked half that good.

Jim Ledger
01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Or welds.:D

Bruce Hooke
01-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I'll be sure to save some of it to give you at next years boat show.:D

I think there may be anew unused box of it in the basement to boot.

On second thought, after looking again at the tile close up in the "caulk" photo, I have to say that it is rather ugly! From a distance it has a more graphic and less florid look but close up...oof!

pefjr
01-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Yuck? That floor is(was) almost as good as terrazzo. Nothing was as good as terrazzo, in Florida that is, and with jalousie windows.

brad9798
01-03-2012, 08:50 PM
I have never seen a blue tub ... thanks for showing one to me!!!! I rather like it! :D :D

Mrleft8
01-03-2012, 08:51 PM
That low ceiling is there to catch all the nice steam before it escapes over the curtain, and out the door. It's a "sauna-tizer"...:D
Aside from that, it's a spittin' mirror image of Margo's guest bathroom in St. Frozenstine. ;)

Bruce Taylor
01-03-2012, 09:08 PM
That low ceiling is there to catch all the nice steam before it escapes over the curtain, and out the door. It's a "sauna-tizer"...:D

Yeah, we had one. It also recycles the condensate, so you get a bonus shower of cool amber-coloured ceiling juice. :cool:

Paul Pless
01-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I rather like it! :D :DSo Bruce is getting the tile and Brad's getting the tub. Surprised no one has spoken for the throne yet. . .

James McMullen
01-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Robin's egg blue! Woo Hoo!

Ron Williamson
01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I'll take the throne,but I'm telling you,Cranberry or Harvest Gold.
I did see Chocolate Brown one once,with a tub ,bidet and sink to match.Gold plated faucets,too.
R

Mrleft8
01-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Carter actually got one of these from one of the Virgin Atlantic club houses after some whining women's group protested the misogynistic implications..... (What were they doing in the men's room anyway?), But her boss objected.... And took it for himself....
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRv2VFPv29cqzHshIsiPZ-IPG68Zd9uRhmk4SoohOVQzwZJkVDVUw

stevebaby
01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Yeah, we had one. It also recycles the condensate, so you get a bonus shower of cool amber-coloured ceiling juice. :cool:The presenter on a local science show did some tests and found that every time you flush without putting the lid down, you're inhaling a very fine aerosol of the contents of the bowl.

C. Ross
01-03-2012, 10:11 PM
House decorating in Hell.

I see the sign of the beast in that tile. I'd be careful lifting it.

Vince Brennan
01-03-2012, 10:18 PM
I actually kind of like the wall tile pattern, but the rest of it is not particularly inspring.Au contraire, mon ami! It DEFINITELY would inspire me to go elsewhere to do my 'business'. Good on yer, Paul, for finally attacking a job long over-due. I agree with you about the many nails missing the studs... only a fool would do that!

(BTW, can I have my tape rule back?)

brad9798
01-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Duhh ... Paul ... the throne comes WITH the tub to me ... it would look great in my basement ... I will tear out the boring white fixtures ... seriously!

:)

brad9798
01-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Duhh ... Paul ... the throne comes WITH the tub to me ... it would look great in my basement ... I will tear out the boring white fixtures ... seriously!

:)

skuthorp
01-03-2012, 11:32 PM
I find it interesting that the materials bathrooms are constructed of haven't changed much since the Romans. Ours is traditional tiles and the modern equivalent of hard plaster too. But the bathroom I liked best had glass doors that opened out into an enclosed courtyard, a sunken FG bath in deep red with a sliding lid and an opal glass panelled wall that was actually a series of closets for towels etc. Sold that house about 6 months after I finished it and these days I am very practical about a room that is just a utility. How long do you spend i there anyhow?
The throne is always in a small room of it's own.

Dan McCosh
01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
There's nothing in that 'return'. Its a architectural feature that was used in the other bathroom as well as the kitchen. Our duct work runs in the floor. Dude packed a suitcase for his first wife and drove her to 'his' mother's house. When he brought his mistress home his kids moved in with the neighbors. I found most of his wife's belongings in our pond. ****** up.

Wasn't it the logical alternative to buying a longer shower curtain?

Don Olney
01-04-2012, 10:32 PM
When I moved into my first apartment in NYC, it had just been newly renovated. The contractor had forgotten to put caulk around the bathtub so I did it myself ... except I only had some 3M 5200. That was in 1994. I bet it is still there.

Breakaway
01-05-2012, 12:21 AM
I really dislike the low ceiling above the shower and don't understand why anybody would find it an attractive feature. Also really dislike the stomped ceiling.

I have a soffit above the tub in one of the baths in my house (built 1959). I ran the tile up the wall, across the soffit, and up the vertical part of the soffit to the ceiling. It looked lots better then.

That stucco/popcorn ceiling is a just a cheat for a guy with no patience with a hawk and a drywall knife.

In all, there's nothing here a coat o Kirby's cant fix!

Kevin

Meli
01-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Hey paul.
Have you planned what your going to do for a makeover?
Can I offer a suggestion?

What vintage is your house?
research bathrooms of that period and go with that.
Retro is big :D

purri
01-05-2012, 01:51 AM
retro is SOOOOOOOO retro...

Meli
01-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Not if your house is 50's -60's der :D
personally I hate retro, too close to my mums, but I'm a great believer in not gilding the lilly :D

Paul Pless
01-05-2012, 05:54 AM
When I moved into my first apartment in NYC, it had just been newly renovated. The contractor had forgotten to put caulk around the bathtub so I did it myself ... except I only had some 3M 5200. That was in 1994. I bet it is still there.Coffee spew!!! :d :d :d

Paul Pless
01-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Hey paul.
Have you planned what your going to do for a makeover?
Can I offer a suggestion?

What vintage is your house?
research bathrooms of that period and go with that.
Retro is big :D

Our house is a brick ranch and was built in 1978. The foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, masonry, drywall hanging and roof were completed by a competent general contractor. The finishing work was never completed by the homeowner. What he did complete was generally done to a pretty low standard.

We have a bunch of large smooth slate and a bunch of soapstone that Katherine has hunted down. I think we are going to do a slate floor and shower enclosure with a bench (no bathtub), ADA compliant fixtures (toilet and grab rails) and we're gonna widen the door. My mom uses a wheelchair and visits us at times. Its gonna have a small vanity, with a white 'sit on top' sink. The toilet will be white. Gonna try not to clutter things up. . .

Meli
01-05-2012, 06:16 AM
sounds really good.
Slate doesn't date :)

Paul Pless
01-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Honestly I was hesitant about using the slate, I was worried it would too dark in a small room, and had some concerns about its porosity. But Katherine changed my mind for me. ;):D

MiddleAgesMan
01-05-2012, 06:27 AM
For a clean look and easy-to-clean master bath consider a wall-hung toilet. To complete the look use a wall-hung sink as well; that modern bowl-on-counter is the current fad but a wall-hung sink is much more wheelchair friendly.

Paul Pless
01-05-2012, 06:39 AM
I hate the new bowl on top of cabinet look. This will be a full size sink on top of a vanity cabinet. You do make a very good point about the pedestal sink and wheel chair access. Thanks!

jack grebe
01-05-2012, 06:48 AM

Ah yes .......the DIY'er mentality

the bigger the blob, the better the job.

Meli
01-05-2012, 06:48 AM
good thinking, easier to clean and will lighten the look of the whole.
so what tiles on the walls? I'd go for smooth white walls. there is enough texture in the slate..... and dark grey units.
Small room, keep it simple and it wont date. add a bunch of scarlet tulips and your there.
such fun doing someone elses decor :D

Jim Ledger
01-05-2012, 06:52 AM
But Katherine changed my mind for me. ;):D

Like a big lump o' warm putty, you is.:d

Dan McCosh
01-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Honestly I was hesitant about using the slate, I was worried it would too dark in a small room, and had some concerns about its porosity. But Katherine changed my mind for me. ;):D We looked at slate for a counter top, and between the soft surface that scratches, and the porosity, ended up with a ceramic tile that looks virtually identical, without the drawbacks.

Rich VanValkenburg
01-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Hey Paul, send me an email address through a PM. I have some photos of suggestions, jobs that I've done over the last few years. One bathroom started out the same color blue.

Mrleft8
01-05-2012, 09:37 AM
The nice thing about slate is that Katherine can leave you messages written in chalk right on the vanity top..... And you can accidentally wipe them up with a damp sponge before you realize what they were. :D

Canoeyawl
01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
This is encouraging... It looks like when I finally get to Hell I'm going to find a tape measure at least. I wonder what other tools are hidden there?

Breakaway
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Friends of mine have had slate tops in their kitchen for about five years. No reported probs and it looks good when I visit. He owns a restaurant and she likes to cook, so I'd think if there was a problem I would have heard about it.

Kevin