01-01-2012, 10:31 AM
whatever. . .

wardd
01-01-2012, 10:35 AM
whatever. . .

thank you for your contribution

Ian McColgin
01-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I found the "he said she said" start a bit confusing but once I sorted out who was talking of what and why, it got more and more interesting. As people who are regulars here already know, I have a great respect for and interest in conservative personality traits, both in it's finer forms like Aristotle, Adams, Buckley etc., and the crasser forms like McCarthey. What I've not done enough of is studying the mass appeal. Referred to it often, as how to address that is indeed a major problem for the Left. I've gotten as far as decrying the Maddoweque snear but I was not aware of authors who made just this a matter of serious historical study. Now I've got some leads. Thank you wardd.

wardd
01-01-2012, 11:04 AM
i saw him on tv this am and he said something provocative, not exactly but close enough " those that you would keep down, you first have to appeal to them '

in the course of what i have read and heard about psychological studies, the right is closer to being sheeple than those they accuse of it

Paul Pless
01-01-2012, 11:46 AM
i saw him on tv this am and he said something provocative, not exactly but close enough " those that you would keep down, you first have to appeal to them 'Liberal welfare entitlement programs ring any bells?

wardd
01-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Liberal welfare entitlement programs ring any bells?

like social security, medecare, the 40 hour workweek?

George Jung
01-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I caught a bit of an AM ag program today, and found interesting their defense of the Farm Bill. It's around $95 billion, but only $25 billion or so goes to farmers - the rest is
for 'entitlements' - food stamps. They did show the history over the past ten years or so, noting how the numbers had nearly tripled over the past five years as a result of the economy tanking. That offered a bit of insight.

Paul Pless
01-01-2012, 11:57 AM
the 40 hour workweek?What's that?

I've never had a job in my entire life, yet when I did 'work' it was typically seventy hours or more a week. . .

delecta
01-01-2012, 12:00 PM
like social security, medecare, the 40 hour workweek?

Didn't you just mention spending other peoples money......hypocrite

john l
01-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Like welfare and food stamps..Two areas that appear to have rampant abuses in the system. But once the gov has them under their thumb, the recipients are theirs for keeps.Vote Democratic as that is where the dems want these people.They will vote to protect their interests.
If this state ment is accurate, then the corporate "welfare and food stamps" of the vote republican clan are the military industrial complex, bank bailout dollars going to million dollar salaries, all the stuff lobyiest extract from the tax payers and a do nothing obstructionist republican house.
Welfare and foodstamps are entitlement programs for both ends of the political spectrum...and paid for by the middle.
So if you are going after such things go after all beneficiaries of these programs...not just the easy ones.
I'd say let's get rid of all forms of welfare and let's see how things fare.

Ted Hoppe
01-01-2012, 12:27 PM
What's that?

I've never had a job in my entire life, yet when I did 'work' it was typically seventy hours or more a week. . .

Did you enjoy the work and were you well compensated for giving up valuable time? I asked this because the fundamental question is if you are working so much you miss the life and love around you.

No one ever says at end of their life... I am glad I worked so much and hard that I missed things that were or are important. if you are lucky to make it to old age, all you have is memories and three boxes that will be in storage once you pass.

Paul Pless
01-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Did you enjoy the work and were you well compensated for giving up valuable time. I asked this because the fundamental question is if you are working so much you miss the life and love around you.

Generally well compensated, but I worked for years for pittance to become successful at what I do. I like the work related to the niche that I've carved out for myself and I'm exceedingly good at it. . . .

I no longer work as many hours for continuous weeks and months like I used to do.

Ian McColgin
01-01-2012, 12:34 PM
I had a friend who was in Dept of Ag responsible for lobbying congress for the first food stamp program. He sold it for what it really really really was, a form of market price support for the food industry, farmer to packaged product the whole chain. Directed payments do that for a market. If we reduce food stamps, we damage a lot of agribusiness, which I'd as soon do but by a different way, and we also damage ag-price stability which the real producers actually need since agricultural markets when unregulated are catastrophic.

Ted Hoppe
01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Work is the means to accomplish the things you deem good and necessary. Skilled and willing hands should be compensated.

the idea of work life balance is more blurred than ever. without boundaries, those who compensate labor will always chose to exploit the worker whether intentionally or not. Most people don't realize the tradeoff or understand the social labor/capital compact is always in negotiation.

Paul Pless
01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
If we reduce food stamps, we damage a lot of agribusiness, which I'd as soon do but by a different way, and we also damage ag-price stability which the real producers actually need since agricultural markets when unregulated are catastrophic.I agree completely with the first part of this statement, as with so many 'policies' our farm subsidies including food stamps need to be completely re-vamped. Also I think you and I probably agree that there still needs to be and probably always will need to be a welfare food program for segments of our society that cannot afford to sustain themselves - for what ever reason. I do disagree with the need for government intervention to stabilize the ag economy.

Paul Pless
01-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Work is the means to accomplish the things you deem good and necessary. Skilled and willing hands should be compensated.

the idea of work life balance is more blurred than ever. without boundaries, those who compensate labor will always chose to exploit the worker whether intentionally or not. Most people don't realize the tradeoff or understand the social labor/capital compact is always in negotiation.

I'm in general agreement. I don't think that labor is always exploited though.

Ted Hoppe
01-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm in general agreement. I don't think that labor is always exploited though.

that is were respect and consideration take place. If one piece is missing, then exploitation will happen but to various degrees.