PDA

View Full Version : Red Jacket Extreme Clipper

jason
08-25-2000, 08:21 AM
Hello
Has anyone information on the whereaabouts of the design plans etc for the "Red Jacket" an extreme clipper ship built in 1853 by George Thomas, Rockland, ME, to the design of Samuel H. Pook. Dimenions: 251'2"44'31' and tonnage 2305 tons. Am assuming they are in national registra, if not then who hold copy right. Require full plans

ishmael
08-25-2000, 08:35 AM
I'd check with the museums, Penobscot Maritime in Searsport, ME, Maine Maritime in Bath, The Smithsonian? Mystic Seaport?

Chappelle's, American Sailing Ships?? (think that's the title) might be a start, with reference as to where the plans are archived. Good luck.

BTW, are you building a model?.. or a clipper ship?

A further thought. There might not be a full set of plans--in fact likely not--as those ships were built by knowledgeable crews to lines laid down off a half model. I think lines are as close as you are going to come, and depending on your intention (I assume a full or half model, built with lifts or more likely plank on frame?) you'll have to take on an education in ship building in order to combine the lines with accurate modeling.

Let us know your idea. I'd like to know.

[This message has been edited by ishmael (edited 08-25-2000).]

BrianCunningham
08-25-2000, 05:18 PM
I've got a book at home with the line drawings in it.

I'll write the info down when I go home.

Rob H
08-26-2000, 10:02 AM
There is a standard lines drawing of the hull and and a set of spar dimensions for Red Jacket in Chapelle's "The Search for Speed Under Sail". No table of offsets, though.
Chapelle names his source as the U.S. Nautical Magazine and Naval Journal.
Good luck!

BrianCunningham
08-28-2000, 01:31 PM
That's the book I've got.

John B
10-25-2001, 08:29 PM
I just put this in misc but...
a link to some perspective on Red Jacket. Interesting I thought, that she was not regarded as extreme in her design according to Lubbock.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1257037&a=13915821&f=0&vt=mp

BrianCunningham
10-26-2001, 04:53 PM
What ever happened to that "American Clipper" project???