PDA

View Full Version : Some will just never cut it in a life of crime

Meli
12-29-2011, 04:04 AM
A funny thing happened at work today.
I was putting away some really big heavy Art book.
You know the sort of things, about 16" high, full colour plates.(Monet)
Well I dropped one and a note fell out, not a shopping list or a scrap for a bookmark but a properly written short letter addressed to "the library"

To whom it may concern,

I have taken the pictures pages 156-172

yours

Emma (her family name)

Sure enough there were some 10 plates roughly torn out.|:(

I have to say I laughed Y:o

Ms Emma will be getting a short polite letter asking for $250 and explaining why her membership has been cancelled.:cool:

Phillip Allen
12-29-2011, 04:19 AM
strange

Farfalla
12-29-2011, 04:19 AM
Meanwhile Felicity, Emma's recent world's best friend but now totally estranged, will be sitting at home clutching the pages in glee, cackling loudly and gloating over the pain that is about to descend upon poor Emma:D

stevebaby
12-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Are you sure that Emma actually wrote the letter? It might be someone playing a malicious prank.
Has anyone considered reporting this to the coppers? If the letter's a genuine confession of guilt then Emma's gone for causing criminal damage and restitution.
If it's not, the council might be up for more than the cost of the book. The ratepayers won't like that.

Meli
12-29-2011, 04:58 AM
We wouldn't rely on the letter, we'll do a search against the books borrowing record and see who borrowed it.

We do have a few nutters. I didn't check what they were pictures of, could have been Nudes with Waterlilies :D

There's a whole heap of common library events that a psych could mine for research:D

Like what conclusions can one draw from the fact that the 800.00 section (literature) is always much easier to keep in perfect order than the diet and exercise sections which are always a mess?

or who hides the "young persons guide to sex" books in the knitting and crochet section :rolleyes:

Phillip Allen
12-29-2011, 05:08 AM
"We" ?

thedutchtouch
12-29-2011, 05:10 AM
"We" ? i assume "we" = the library

Phillip Allen
12-29-2011, 05:11 AM
prolly... just wanted conformation

Meli
12-29-2011, 05:12 AM
"We" as in the library team Philip:)

Phillip Allen
12-29-2011, 05:13 AM
thanks... maybe it's the early hour for me (just after 0400)

thedutchtouch
12-29-2011, 05:14 AM
thanks... maybe it's the early hour for me (just after 0400)

night shift sure does get slow sometimes... 0515 here.

Meli
12-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Any other funny stories about brain cell depleted criminals :D

I recall one in NZ where two guys planned a heist on the local...................................Bicycle repair shop:D
They called a taxi, got it to wait outside, menaced the repairman, got away with $150 and a box of valves:confused:, and returned home in the same taxi.
Paid the driver out of the loot.
The magistrate gave them 2 years for the theft and 1 extra because she said they were the stupidest robbers she'd ever had the pleasure of sentencing. :D

S.V. Airlie
12-29-2011, 02:24 PM
We wouldn't rely on the letter, we'll do a search against the books borrowing record and see who borrowed it.

We do have a few nutters. I didn't check what they were pictures of, could have been Nudes with Waterlilies :D

There's a whole heap of common library events that a psych could mine for research:D

Like what conclusions can one draw from the fact that the 800.00 section (literature) is always much easier to keep in perfect order than the diet and exercise sections which are always a mess?

or who hides the "young persons guide to sex" books in the knitting and crochet section :rolleyes:The book may not have been signed out. Just as easy to rip those pages out in isle 3.

Meli
12-29-2011, 04:02 PM
I was shelving it off the "just returned" trolly Jamie.
I can just envisage someone sneaking a 4kg book off the trolly, sneaking off to isle 3, quietly tearing the pages out, writing a letter and putting it back.
Maybe it was a planned SAS action? come to think of it, they are just about dumb enough to do it and leave a note:D

S.V. Airlie
12-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Meli you admitted you dropped it and the note fell out. Does not say when the pages were cut out. If you hadn't dropped it, it may not have been discovered until 2020.Saying it was the last person to take it out is well an assumption.

WX
12-29-2011, 04:15 PM
I have a nephew that was a repeat offender for many years, in and out of jail and didn't seem to be on any sort of learning curve. He's gone straight now and has been pretty good for a couple of years.

Meli
12-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Meli you admitted you dropped it and the note fell out. Does not say when the pages were cut out. If you hadn't dropped it, it may not have been discovered until 2020.Saying it was the last person to take it out is well an assumption.

Jamie, it doesn't matter when or how many borrowers ago.
We have a computer record of the book and it's borrowing history. and computerised records of all our members.
If the note writers name pops up on our members list, and they were borrowing in the library that day the (note was dated), it's pretty reasonable to assume ...

It's never going to be a police matter but do you suggest we do nothing?

Anyway, I only posted it for amusements sake, this sort of stuff happens all the time but we've never had a signed confession before :D

S.V. Airlie
12-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Meli..If the book was borrowed. You are assuming that. As I said, a guy could have taken this book into isle 3 and ripped them out then. No record. Nothing.Firstly you say the pages were ripped out not cut. Cutting them out takes time and maybe someone did take the book out. Ripping out the pages takes 1/16 of the time to remove. To me. that was a hurried act.If the book was signed out, and the person took the book home, I suspect he would have used scissors or an exacto knife.

Meli
12-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Well in that case, if Emma X was not a member there's not much we can do about it is there?
Do you have a point you are trying to make?:confused:

Come on, I'm sure you have a funny story to tell about silly crimes :)

S.V. Airlie
12-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Nothing except the obvious is not necessary the obvious. Now if you catch a fox in the hen house that is obvious.

AnalogKid
12-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Here's another hopeless one from NZ (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10767535)

"A man broke into a car but left behind a bag containing his cellphone and prescription medicine - and his enraged wife later phoned to find out where he was.

Lloyd Shaw, 43, was stunned to be phoned by the angry wife of one of two men he disturbed breaking into a friend's car at 9pm on Friday night.

"I heard this voice coming from inside the bag, this woman's voice. So I picked up the phone and it was [the burglar's] wife.""

(http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10767535)
Meli - if Emma has to pay for a new copy of the book for the library, does she get to keep the old one that she already has 10 pages from?

Meli
12-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Here's another hopeless one from NZ (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10767535)

"A man broke into a car but left behind a bag containing his cellphone and prescription medicine - and his enraged wife later phoned to find out where he was.

Lloyd Shaw, 43, was stunned to be phoned by the angry wife of one of two men he disturbed breaking into a friend's car at 9pm on Friday night.

"I heard this voice coming from inside the bag, this woman's voice. So I picked up the phone and it was [the burglar's] wife.""

(http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10767535)
Meli - if Emma has to pay for a new copy of the book for the library, does she get to keep the old one that she already has 10 pages from?

AnalogKid, if you "tag" someone's door, after you've paid for the door to be replaced, do you get to take your artwork home?

Kiwis :rolleyes:

Gerarddm
12-29-2011, 11:09 PM
My favorite are the pair of bank robbers who were caught because one of them chatted up a pretty teller during the heist and LEFT HER HIS PHONE NUMBER.

Meli
12-29-2011, 11:15 PM
clap clapclapclapclapclap :D

AnalogKid
12-30-2011, 02:17 AM
AnalogKid, if you "tag" someone's door, after you've paid for the door to be replaced, do you get to take your artwork home?

Kiwis :rolleyes:

I never have and never will tag anyone's anything, so I've never really thought about it.

[tongue-in-cheek]
I was just thinking maybe Emma might like some of the other plates that she hadn't already (allegedly - specially for Jamie) stolen.
[/tongue-in-cheek]

oh, and I'm not a Kiwi, but I don't consider being called one an insult, unless it's by an Aussie. :rolleyes:

Meli
12-30-2011, 03:32 AM
I never have and never will tag anyone's anything, so I've never really thought about it.

[tongue-in-cheek]
I was just thinking maybe Emma might like some of the other plates that she hadn't already (allegedly - specially for Jamie) stolen.

[/tongue-in-cheek]

oh, and I'm not a Kiwi, but I don't consider being called one an insult, unless it's by an Aussie. :rolleyes:

Sorly pommy. :D
PS I'm a little gum tree aussie too.