PDA

View Full Version : How many make their own Christmas presents or just run to the Mall?

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I prefer making them. The effort even with the questionable results is worth two store bought presents from the mall.

sailboy3
12-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Well said. I make mine, unless it's clothing.

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Well said. I make mine, unless it's clothing.That to me is the exception and a valid one.I also made my own Christmas cards:poem and pen and ink drawings. I know it doesn't sound like much but they were original.People loved, I am told, receiving them. Better than the box of 24 identical cards for $10.00. Iused to get 10 that were identical cards.Have not done this lately..To be corrected next year, on my list of things to do.

Garret
12-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Some of each for me - though I'll admit that this year it's been far more purchased due to lack of time. Darn work gets in the way of life!

Ron Williamson
12-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I built a flyball launcher for my niece and her dog trials thing.
Can't do a painting for SWMBO.
Can't do Scotch for FIL.
The kids are in the room, so I won't specify,but those things are off the table, too.
R

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 01:02 PM
I realize that there can be a time constraint. I am not a painter either. I thought about what I could buy for my parents one year. I thought about how I could afford to have a painting of my parent's house in Cooperstown in winter. A 30"x40"painting was out of my league price wise.. And then I thought some more.Went to an artist who is fantastic in water colors and bargained with her. Painting cost 40 lbs. of honey. She was happy, I collected it from my hives, my contribution, my parents got a present they didn't expect. May be I didn't do the painting itself, but I was involved in getting it done.Better than going to a store.

elf
12-24-2011, 01:11 PM
It has never been important to me whether the gift was store boughten or home made. What is important is that the giver wanted to give something to the recipient. The thank-you note is always for being cared about and thought of enough to be given a gift.

Sure, it's nice if one likes the things one receives, but one should never mistake being given something one can't imagine wanting with not being cared enough about to be given something.

Personally, I try to give either something I imagine the person wants, or something I want to share with the person. If I am so careless or disorganized that I can't do anything except yet another piece of irrelevant or superfluous junk, it is better to give no thing.

The saddest gifts are those which reveal just how little the giver understood or bothered to think about the recipient.

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 01:18 PM
The point is elf. If someone makes something for someone else, you know he more than likely put a lot of effort into what he created. Buying something at a store removes the thought process. How long does it take to drive to a mall and pick up some present, pay for it, and give it to the recipient. I understand what you are saying but I think "the Thought process" is greater for one who actively builds or makes an item to give because it's from the heart not the wallet.

Which would you prefer elf? A calender of pictures you made, of a region the recipient knows, or a calender of half naked women or men, someone else mass produced and you bought? Let me umm guess.

elf
12-24-2011, 01:23 PM
It takes hours to find something at a store, or even a shopping area or mall if you're interesting in having that thing be appropriate to the recipient. that's one reason I prefer shopping online, I can actually shop for the right thing, instead of grabbing something acceptable, or worse, the first thing you see because you put it all off until the last moment.

Jim Mahan
12-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I am about halfway done with a myrtle wood side table of original design. Everything took longer than I had allowed for. I'll be lucky to get the damn thing finished for valentine's day. But I have managed to make some purchases on time and they are now under the tree.

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I shop on line for obvious things: shirts, pats, maybe a jacket. I sent food as in Bacon to Lefty, as a joke but an edible one. I sent some nuts to Joe appeared to like when we were sailing.I have used online sure but most of what I buy on line are just fluff. Say funny gifts.

Tom Montgomery
12-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I always make Christmas gifts... Food items (candy, cookies, nut bread, etc.).

Otherwise I patronize locally-owned businesses for gifts.

While shopping all change goes into the nearest Salvation Army kettle.

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I always make Christmas gifts... Food items (candy, cookies, nut bread, etc.).

Otherwise I patronize locally-owned businesses for gifts.

While shopping all change goes into the nearest Salvation Army kettle.I do that all year anyway, not just at Christmas

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Well different opinions. I have a tendency to treasure a gift that someone made for me. Heck if some item breaks bought at a store, I can just go out and replace it. Can't replace a handmade item.One of a kind. If not darned close.

Tom Montgomery
12-24-2011, 02:48 PM
I do that all year anyway, not just at Christmas

I didn't mean to suggest that is the extent of my charitable contributions though the year. Only that I never pass a kettle during the Holiday season without emptying my pockets.

elf
12-24-2011, 02:52 PM
When assistance comes with a sermon I don't want to be part of the support system. Besides, I pay for everything with a debit card and carry no cash. If you wish to support those in need in your community, give the money to your local food bank. It comes without lectures and sermonizing there.

Bill R
12-24-2011, 06:52 PM
I make them. Family and friends expect it. What I don't make is purchased from local family businesses.

BrianW
12-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Last Christmas, I made my kids an Xbox. It never worked, took up the entire garage, and I think will reach self-awareness in 2019.

JMAC
12-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I just made a batch of 3 sushi trays, similar to ones that I saw in a kitchen goods store. My two kids get one, and one for my honey. When I first got into woodworking, I was so enthusiastic about it that I gave everybody in my family clear pine boards so they could get in on the fun.....

bamamick
12-24-2011, 09:43 PM
My Christmas present for my wife is, I am afraid, a dismal failure. I built her a new cover for her hot tub, and I designed it to look like a barn door, but it wound up being too darn heavy and she can't even move it. Looks good, though. I am going to finish it because I have committed this much time and effort into it. Maybe we can use it from time to time when company comes over, but she won't be able to use it at all unless I am at home.

Ah well.

Mickey Lake

Spin_Drift
12-24-2011, 10:18 PM
I make most of them.

Portland
12-24-2011, 10:39 PM
We make most of the Christmas gifts.
And we always bring to the table fresh fruits and vegetables from our garden , and meats , whether it be poultry , or beef.
A couple of years ago my wife made big double quilts , one for each of our 4 children , and one for each of the 3 grandchildren we had at that time .
I still remember the look on my eldest daughters face . She had a well paid job , and bought an expensive gift , but in reality , about a days pay.
The quilt my wife had made for her was of dozens , maybe hundreds of photos of her in her childhood , which tooks weeks of solid work to make .
There were 4 such quilts , one for each child , and similar ones for the grandchildren.
The work , the love , that had gone in to each stitch would be very hard to measure.
Probably 6 months solid work , all up.
And she has also made pottery pieces for them too , that they prize.
The gifts didn't cost that much , but their value is something else , the thought , the love , the work that goes in to each piece.
Regards Rob J.

rbgarr
12-24-2011, 11:35 PM
I make some if the spirit moves me and enjoy that. The most fun for me is to think about people I want to give things to all year long and get them as I see them during my travels. Then the problem is remembering where I hide them!! :D Today I found an antique potato ricer I'd found for my son-in-law which he'd asked for for some past Christmas, or birthday, I don't remember which. I'll put it in with the set of old tools of mine that I'm sending for them to have around the house.

Thomas Tew Rum is something I found out about this year (Thanks, Gareth!) and we've sent it to lots of folks who we hope will enjoy it.

Another favorite is envelopes I put on the tree for family members. Sometimes there's a puzzle on the outside that they have to complete before they can open it. Sometimes they are coupons for something, like 'Good for one whole-house vacuuming' or "A week of nightly foot rubs".

The labels on the packages can be entertaining also. A minor mystery about who a present is actually for can lead to some hilarious misconceptions. It's all good... wherever the gifts come from.

Merry Christmas all, and all good wishes for a better future.

leikec
12-25-2011, 12:23 AM
I work for a living. I buy gifts.

Jeff C

S.V. Airlie
12-25-2011, 09:36 AM
I didn't mean to suggest that is the extent of my charitable contributions though the year. Only that I never pass a kettle during the Holiday season without emptying my pockets.I wasn't saying that Tom just saying that donations I put in the bucket were for me an going thig and not just not Christmas so putting change in the bucket at Christmas is not new

Mrleft8
12-26-2011, 06:51 PM
My Christmas present for my wife is, I am afraid, a dismal failure. I built her a new cover for her hot tub, and I designed it to look like a barn door, but it wound up being too darn heavy and she can't even move it. Looks good, though. I am going to finish it because I have committed this much time and effort into it. Maybe we can use it from time to time when company comes over, but she won't be able to use it at all unless I am at home.

Ah well.

Mickey Lake So....... What you need to get her now is a cabana boy to assist her....:D

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-26-2011, 06:57 PM
I make all my presents from materials that are reclaimed from fair trade recycled products produced by hand in countries with progressive labour practices. I also wrapped them in recycled paper and ribbon made of hemp. All of our wrapping is ground in a shredder powered by humanely treated domestic animals, then composted in my solar wind powered electricity producing compost bin. Our christmas cards are produced on brown paper stock with images cut from magazines headed for the recycling facility, and pigments refined from food waste.

JimD
12-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I made a birdhouse.

Michael D. Storey
12-26-2011, 09:55 PM
a little judgmental, are we all? Its the gift, not the tag, no? Maybe not.