PDA

View Full Version : How are things going

John Smith
12-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Several shows last night did reviews of 2011.

I'd like to look more closely at 2012 as it begins. Social Security and Federal pensions, which have been frozen for a while, are not frozen and begin 2012 with a 3.6% increase. Medicare part B premiums are going down. My Blue Cross premium is going down: haven't gotten much response as to others here and there 2012 premiums. It may be that all health insurance premiums either drop a bit, or go up significantly less than has been their historical inclination.

Medicare benefits for parts B and D have improved.

I would think all of the above will play well for our president come election day.

We also have several battles going on that seem pretty well defined.

We have the Republican side of the aisle trying to balance the budget by laying off teachers, firefighters, cops, and other public employees. We have the Democrats trying to raise some revenue from the wealthier Americans. Someone is going to win this battle.

We have the payroll tax cut that is, sadly, argued on tv with great dishonesty. If you listen to Boehner, everyone wanted to extend this for a year. What is not mentioned in any of the debates I've seen over this is the other stuff in the bill that would have extended this for the year: HOW TO PAY FOR IT.

This becomes an interesting debate, as this is the only tax cut I can recall where the Republicans were concerned about paying for it. This issue will be addressed again when Congress returns, and how it plays out will impact the election. There is a strong case to be made that this money will be spent and that will increase the growth of the general economy and pay for itself.

The numbers I see show the economy is moving in the right direction. Not very quickly, but it beats getting worse. Will that trend continue?

Then, of course, we have what happens in Iraq and how that plays here. I'm of the opinion that whatever happens there would be no different had we left sooner or later. Regardless, people here will use what happens there for political gain if it helps their side.

It will also be interesting to see if any Republicans decide to follow the poll instead of the Tea Party and Norquist.

John Smith
12-24-2011, 08:50 AM
I have no idea what happened, but this got posted twice, only one didn't post the text.

John Smith
12-24-2011, 09:01 AM
It's another example of the subtle difference between "I spilled the coffee" and "the coffee spilled."

When I submitted the post, the page could not be displayed. When I hit "back" I found my title, but no text. I put the text in and then submitted post and it went through.

Life is sometimes strange.

Gerarddm
12-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I liken how things are going to a six foot tall person in six feet two inches of water. Things are reasonably well so long as one's legs do not get tired of bouncing one above the water to catch some air.

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 11:08 AM
John stop stuttering on the forum..:)

RonW
12-24-2011, 11:18 AM
John -
Social Security and Federal pensions, which have been frozen for a while, are not frozen and begin 2012 with a 3.6% increase.

So why didn't Barry do this almost 3 years ago?

Instead he waits till a election cycle to throw the poor and uninformed peasants a bone..any connection..

John Smith
12-24-2011, 11:56 AM
John -

So why didn't Barry do this almost 3 years ago?

Instead he waits till a election cycle to throw the poor and uninformed peasants a bone..any connection..

That won't matter. It's done now.

Much as you don't like it, things are going down a path that looks better and better for him.

He's positioned himself into a gread "board position" as a Chess Master would. To put it in sailing terms, he's got the wind at his back and the Republicans are still trying to get to the windward mark.

There are many things that can go wrong, but the Republicans would be better to give him what he wants and, if it fails, they can say they told us so. If it succeeds, those who supported it can run on putting the country above party.

If they continue to obstruct, they do so at their own peril, IMO.

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 11:59 AM
With 48% happy with him, I say he is luffing.Earlier presidents had 60% plus and still lost at this time. Bottomed out right before the election. Can Obama bottom out? Darned right he can. Closer to the ground right now though.

elf
12-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Give a peasant $20 a week for a year, he won't notice. Give a peasant $1000 once a year - you're king!

stevebaby
12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
illegal dentition Are teeth now illegal in the Land of the Free?

S.V. Airlie
12-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Give a peasant $20 a week for a year, he won't notice. Give a peasant $1000 once a year - you're king!Give a peasant a fish every day or teach him to fish and stop enabling him!.