PDA

View Full Version : 14-16 ft. power boat

Robert Albers
02-20-2001, 07:48 PM
I'm looking for a small power boat design for fishing. Would prefer a classic looking craft, preferably lapstrake or carvel - not sheet ply. Does not need to be fast....will use 10 hp outboard.
Any suggestions?

ishmael
02-20-2001, 08:00 PM
You sound like you want to build, but if not, look for one of the Lyman lapstrake skiffs in that range from the forties and fifties. Might even find a sound one cheap, that needs refurbishing, which might satisfy your hands on urge.

I ran around, in much rough lake weather, in a thirteen footer with a ten horse, as a kid. Great boat! Quite able for the size. Wonder if you could build one from plans? Don't know. Best, Jack

Bear's Oil
02-20-2001, 09:07 PM
Speaking of Tom Hill..look at his glued lapstrake "Longpoint". It takes up to 15hp.

Robert Albers
02-20-2001, 09:36 PM
Where can Tom Hill be found?

Keith Wilson
02-21-2001, 11:24 AM
John Gardner, in "The Dory Book" has plans for some very nice-looking outboard-powered semi-dories that might work well. I think there are 12', 14' 16' and 20' versions. The larger ones have the motor in a well. They can be built traditionally, or with varying amounts of plywood as you wish. I'd recommend other than a traditional dory bottom if you want to trailer the boat, though - I struggled for a long time to keep the planked bottom a similar trailered boat from leaking. They're called semi-dories because they sort of look like a Swampscott dory with the back end chopped off to handle a motor. I have no direct experience with these boats, but it's hard to go wrong with a John Gardner design. I'm considering building one of the larger ones myself.

Tom Hill's address:
166 Ferguson Avenue
Burlington, VT 05401-5912
Fax 802/658-9150