PDA

View Full Version : Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day

Nicholas Carey
12-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Just a friendly reminder: Please remember to safely clear your weapon before cleaning it. In the case of a muzzle loader, fire into the ground or deprime/decock and use your worm/ball screw to extract the ball.

That is all.

http://www.coshoctontribune.com/article/20111219/NEWS01/112190312/Teen-shot-killed-Holmes-County

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/21/amish-girl-shooting-gun-cleaning_n_1162704.html

FREDERICKSBURG, Ohio -- A man cleaning his muzzle-loading rifle shot the gun into the air, accidentally killing a 15-year-old Amish girl driving a horse-drawn buggy more than a mile away, a sheriff said Tuesday.

Rachel Yoder was shot in the head Thursday night while traveling to her home in Wayne County, between Columbus and Akron. She had attended a Christmas party for employees, most of them under 18 years old, at an Amish produce farm and was riding home alone when she was shot, Wayne County sheriff's Capt. Douglas Hunter said.

The horse continued to cart the girl after she was shot, and she fell out of the buggy near her home, Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zimmerly said. Her brother found her after he saw the horse walking in circles and went to check it. Authorities initially believed she had fallen out of the buggy and hit her head until a hospital test revealed the gunshot wound.

Hunter said his department traced a trail of blood along the road for about three-eighths of a mile into Holmes County in an area of farms and rolling hills.

Zimmerly said the gun-cleaner's family came forward and his neighbors reported hearing a shot at about the time the girl was wounded.

The man had fired the gun in the air about 1.5 miles from where Yoder was shot, Zimmerly said. State investigators were checking the rifle for a ballistics match, he said.

"In all probability, it looks like an accidental shooting," Zimmerly said.

No charges have been filed.

Waddie
12-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Shooting a gun into the air is pretty stupid, but around here on the 4th of July it's better to stay indoors. New Years, too.

I'm sorry for their loss.

regards,
Waddie

Rich Jones
12-22-2011, 09:51 PM
I read that story yesterday, but then today they called it a homicide. Something about one group of Amish all PO'd at another group. Who did what was not clear.

CWSmith
12-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Stupidity should be at best a limited defense. If you buy a gun, you have a responsibility to handle it properly. Not intending to kill should be weighed against the magnitude of the carelessness, and it sounds like it was. He needs to answer for his actions.

Phillip Allen
12-23-2011, 05:42 AM
I have encountered individuals who think shooting into the air is harmless... perhaps 'certain' members here should have allowed gun safety discussions after all... oh, well

seanz
12-23-2011, 05:49 AM
You mean you let someone stop you from talking about gun safety? I find that very difficult to believe.......

Phillip Allen
12-23-2011, 05:51 AM
You mean you let someone stop you from talking about gun safety? I find that very difficult to believe.......

Joe and Milo got together and hyjacked the thread over and over until I gave up...said "there was no such thing as gun safety, etc." (a new poster had requested the discussion)

seanz
12-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Unless the "new poster" was a muzzle-loader enthusiast from Ohio you're probably all off the hook for this one.
;)

Phillip Allen
12-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Unless the "new poster" was a muzzle-loader enthusiast from Ohio you're probably all off the hook for this one.
;)

maybe, but not the other two

seanz
12-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Well, if you feel there's something that desperately needs to be said.......now's your chance. They're both banned.

Phillip Allen
12-23-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm still very angry at the calousness of the two and my enthusism is gone for trying it... if someone else wants to try it, I will support it though

the guy who requested it never came back

stevebaby
12-23-2011, 06:04 AM
I have encountered individuals who think shooting into the air is harmless... perhaps 'certain' members here should have allowed gun safety discussions after all... oh, wellWas that before or after you blew molten lead in your face? :D

Phillip Allen
12-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Was that before or after you blew molten lead in your face? :D

I don't remember but I think you would agree it was a good object lesson... I could have kept quiet but safety was and is important to me.

that ingot I added to the pot had been in the dry for years... literly... carelessness was pointed out and thr results shown... I stood there with the stuff hurting and waited for my granddaughter to fetch the camera and I showed her how to use it...

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
12-25-2011, 02:34 AM
Criminally Negligent Manslaughter.

Same in this case, hunter shot at "movement" without positive identification:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/man_shot_suspect_arrested_in_h.html