PDA

View Full Version : Yes, you can watch

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/12/22/1226228/220226-us-navy-gay-kiss.jpg

It's been a long time coming: Marissa Gaeta And Citlalic Snell share US Navy's coveted first same-sex kiss

A NAVY tradition caught up with the repeal of the US military's "don't ask, don't tell" rule yesterday when two women sailors became the first to share the coveted "first kiss" on the pier after one of them returned from 80 days at sea.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Marissa Gaeta descended from the USS Oak Hill amphibious landing ship and shared a quick kiss in the rain with her partner, Petty Officer 3rd Class Citlalic Snell.

Petty Officer Gaeta, 23, wore her Navy dress uniform while Petty Officer Snell, 22, wore a black leather jacket, scarf and blue jeans. The crowd screamed and waved flags around them.

"It's something new, that's for sure," Petty Officer Gaeta said after the kiss.

"It's nice to be able to be myself. It's been a long time coming."

For the historical significance of the kiss, there was little to differentiate it from countless others when a Navy ship pulls into its home port following a deployment.

Neither the Navy nor the couple tried to draw attention to what was happening and many onlookers waiting for their loved ones to come off the ship were busy talking among themselves.

David Bauer, the commanding officer of the USS Oak Hill, said that Gaeta and Snell's kiss would largely be a non-event and the crew's reaction upon learning who was selected to have the first kiss was positive.

"It's going to happen and the crew's going to enjoy it. We're going to move on and it won't overshadow the great things that this crew has accomplished over the past three months," Commander Bauer said.

The ship returned to Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story following an 80-day deployment to Central America. The crew of more than 300 participated in exercises involving the militaries of Honduras, Guatemala Colombia and Panama as part of Amphibious-Southern Partnership Station 2012.

Both women are Navy fire controlmen, who maintain and operate weapons systems on ships. They met at training school where they were roommates and have been dating for two years, which they said was difficult under "don't ask, don't tell."

"We did have to hide it a lot in the beginning," Petty Officer Snell said. "A lot of people were not always supportive of it in the beginning, but we can finally be honest about who we are in our relationship, so I'm happy."

Navy officials said it was the first time on record that a same-sex couple was chosen to kiss first upon a ship's return. Sailors and their loved ones bought $1 raffle tickets for the opportunity.

Petty Officer Gaeta said she bought $50 of tickets, a figure that she said pales in comparison to amounts that some other sailors and their loved ones had bought. The money was used to host a Christmas party for the children of sailors.

Petty Officer Snell said she believes their experience won't be the last one for gays and lesbians in the military.

"I think that it's something that is going to open a lot of doors, for not just our relationship, but all the other gay and lesbian relationships that are in the military now," she said.

Petty Officer Snell is based on the USS Bainbridge, the guided missile destroyer that helped rescue cargo captain Richard Phillips from Somali pirates in 2009

Farfalla
12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Showing a true social conscience in posting this BF! Congratulations.

Good on them!!
A long time coming. What a truly stupid rule that "Don't ask, Don't tell" was. Lead to all sorts of problems.

In this day an age only the truly immature will post prurient comments.

I don't understand why they have to be stupid and describe their clothes, they wouldn't do that for anyone else.

Paul Pless
12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I like lesbians.

Paul Pless
12-21-2011, 06:50 PM
What a truly stupid rule that "Don't ask, Don't tell" was..

That's Bill Clinton for you!

bobbys
12-21-2011, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxfMRhyzu3g

Farfalla
12-21-2011, 06:55 PM

Repression, banning, dishonourable discharges, blackmail etc were OK? That was the practice before.
That stupid rule was at least a step in the right direction!

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't understand why they have to be stupid and describe their clothes, they wouldn't do that for anyone else.

Agreed.... it would have been much better without the clothes

Farfalla
12-21-2011, 07:02 PM
In this day an age only the truly immature will post prurient comments.

I had given you the benefit of the doubt about why you started this thread, but it seems I was wrong!

switters
12-21-2011, 07:06 PM
The person that wrote it may have assumed the possibility that the text would not be accompanied by a photo. Which is kinda standard.

Or you can have preconceived notions about America based on a few isolated events, and that is cool too.

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I had given you the benefit of the doubt about why you started this thread, but it seems I was wrong!

Don't let it get you down....

I've done my bit for the sisterhood over the years.

rufustr
12-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Should this be in the bilge Ian?

It is boat related.

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Should this be in the bilge Ian?

It is boat related.

I wondered about where to put it Rufus.

Building & Repair? Yeah. I can think of a couple of ways of justifying that

Designs/Plans.... well, that couple certainly have designs.... and plans.

People & Places.... Yep

Resources / Product Search.... yeah, but this one is setting the stage for more extensive searching

Miscellaneous Boat Related.... nah.... if they are related, its incest. Not nice.

So, it all flows to the Bilge.

rbgarr
12-21-2011, 07:58 PM
What a nice tradition that's now shared by all who want to.

rufustr
12-21-2011, 10:30 PM
There you go.

Front page article on at least 4 newspaper internet sites here in Australia.

Not provocative or newsworthy at all.

tongaboy
12-21-2011, 11:11 PM
There you go. Front page article on at least 4 newspaper internet sites here in Australia. Not provocative or newsworthy at all.

Arrr...there you go and mess up the party....:p jono

The Bigfella
12-22-2011, 05:23 AM
There you go.

Front page article on at least 4 newspaper internet sites here in Australia.

Not provocative or newsworthy at all.

Come again?

Nicholas Scheuer
12-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Either way, nice looking chicks, eh?

BrianW
12-22-2011, 05:27 AM
I think there would have been an issue, if both had been in uniform.

The Bigfella
12-22-2011, 05:30 AM
I think there would have been an issue, if both had been in uniform.

Are you suggesting this was stage managed?

BrianW
12-22-2011, 05:40 AM
I was addressing the point made about describing their clothes in the article.

There was some risk, in that they were both active duty. One could have been a civilian, and the picture just as good.

The Bigfella
12-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Its all just fluff around the edges. The pirate's killed the thread, damn him

Farfalla
12-22-2011, 05:57 AM

Nice to see that there are a few adults responding on this thread.
I see the children have been hard at it entertaining themselves.
I guess the fact that they can still see the screen to type puerile rubbish is proof that the old adage was wrong.

The Bigfella
12-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Get a life luv

The Bigfella
12-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Some of my best friends are gay.... and one thing they don't have is a cardboard taste in their mouth.

Get out and celebrate the wins eh?

BrianW
12-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Some of my best friends are gay.... and one thing they don't have is a cardboard taste in their mouth.

You've been kissing your gay friends? ;)

The Bigfella
12-22-2011, 06:58 AM

Don't you?

Tylerdurden
12-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Whats really cool is they are both FT's . Missiles on the rail babe!

John Smith
12-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Another short memory. NOt that DADT wan't created under Clinton, but the order of things he had put forth in the campaign sort of got dictated when he got elected by others.

Clinton wasn't perfect as president, but was a damn sight better than Reagan or either Bush. And his supporters are more honest than the supporters of the others.

We will admit, for example, that he signed the bill that allowed Wall Street to play their games. The effects of that legislation are still with us, and we don't claim he took those effects with him when he left office. The other side, however, seems to post as if Bush took his two wars with him when he left office. And his tax cuts.

G.W. is the ONLY president I can think of where I am truly hard pressed to think of anything positive that came out of his administration. Every other president I have lived through has been a mixture of good things and bad things and/or things that didn't work out as expected.

WX
12-22-2011, 08:13 AM
I was addressing the point made about describing their clothes in the article.

There was some risk, in that they were both active duty. One could have been a civilian, and the picture just as good.
That's the mass media for you, our media is obsessed with how our PM has her hair done.

Tylerdurden
12-22-2011, 08:19 AM

I told you guys he was hitting on me some time back. He denied it like crazy too. I think you will find the most vociferous haters who follow me around here all have closet issues and hate real men. Some kind of Locker room hang up thang. That's why I was never a jock, most of them are weird that way. :)

The Bigfella
12-22-2011, 03:49 PM
I told you guys he was hitting on me some time back. He denied it like crazy too. I think you will find the most vociferous haters who follow me around here all have closet issues and hate real men. Some kind of Locker room hang up thang. That's why I was never a jock, most of them are weird that way. :)

Sheesh. How many times do I have to tell you Markie? I'm not a hater.

What's this "follow me around" stuff too? Paranoia?

One thing we do know here.... is that you thinking you're in the "real men" category is hilarious.

Meanwhile.... how's the original issue panning out in the media in the US? Getting the right sort of run?

bobbys
12-22-2011, 03:57 PM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/12/22/1226228/220226-us-navy-gay-kiss.jpg

It's been a long time coming: Marissa Gaeta And Citlalic Snell share US Navy's coveted first same-sex kiss

A NAVY tradition caught up with the repeal of the US military's "don't ask, don't tell" rule yesterday when two women sailors became the first to share the coveted "first kiss" on the pier after one of them returned from 80 days at sea.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Marissa Gaeta descended from the USS Oak Hill amphibious landing ship and shared a quick kiss in the rain with her partner, Petty Officer 3rd Class Citlalic Snell.

Petty Officer Gaeta, 23, wore her Navy dress uniform while Petty Officer Snell, 22, wore a black leather jacket, scarf and blue jeans. The crowd screamed and waved flags around them.

"It's something new, that's for sure," Petty Officer Gaeta said after the kiss.

"It's nice to be able to be myself. It's been a long time coming."

For the historical significance of the kiss, there was little to differentiate it from countless others when a Navy ship pulls into its home port following a deployment.

Neither the Navy nor the couple tried to draw attention to what was happening and many onlookers waiting for their loved ones to come off the ship were busy talking among themselves.

David Bauer, the commanding officer of the USS Oak Hill, said that Gaeta and Snell's kiss would largely be a non-event and the crew's reaction upon learning who was selected to have the first kiss was positive.

"It's going to happen and the crew's going to enjoy it. We're going to move on and it won't overshadow the great things that this crew has accomplished over the past three months," Commander Bauer said.

The ship returned to Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story following an 80-day deployment to Central America. The crew of more than 300 participated in exercises involving the militaries of Honduras, Guatemala Colombia and Panama as part of Amphibious-Southern Partnership Station 2012.

Both women are Navy fire controlmen, who maintain and operate weapons systems on ships. They met at training school where they were roommates and have been dating for two years, which they said was difficult under "don't ask, don't tell."

"We did have to hide it a lot in the beginning," Petty Officer Snell said. "A lot of people were not always supportive of it in the beginning, but we can finally be honest about who we are in our relationship, so I'm happy."

Navy officials said it was the first time on record that a same-sex couple was chosen to kiss first upon a ship's return. Sailors and their loved ones bought $1 raffle tickets for the opportunity.

Petty Officer Gaeta said she bought $50 of tickets, a figure that she said pales in comparison to amounts that some other sailors and their loved ones had bought. The money was used to host a Christmas party for the children of sailors.

Petty Officer Snell said she believes their experience won't be the last one for gays and lesbians in the military.

"I think that it's something that is going to open a lot of doors, for not just our relationship, but all the other gay and lesbian relationships that are in the military now," she said.

Petty Officer Snell is based on the USS Bainbridge, the guided missile destroyer that helped rescue cargo captain Richard Phillips from Somali pirates in 2009.

>>>>Neither the Navy nor the couple tried to draw attention to what was happening and many onlookers waiting for their loved ones to come off the ship were busy talking among themselves.<<<.

Yet there was a Contest to throw it in the face of anyone not on Board{bad Pun}.

Not Exactly "not drawing attention".

But we can agree now we shoved it in Muslims faces wherever our military goes now.

Nicholas Carey
12-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Now with video!

Sounds like some of her crew mates were buying raffle tickets to up her odds at getting picked. Wait...I thought this was supposed to cause problems in the rank and file? Hmmm...guess not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_tmig8PxAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_tmig8PxAw

Chris Coose
12-22-2011, 05:59 PM
What's next? Some man will demand to marry his summer squash, leading to a world of drug addiction and other assorted liberal initiated crime.