PDA

View Full Version : Skype founder to offer FREE mobile broadband for all!

skipper68
12-21-2011, 10:06 AM
I went to the Freedom Pop link, and signed up. Any thoughts on this?http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/09/lightsquared_skype/
Niklas Zennstrom's FreedomPop has signed a mind-boggling deal with LightSquared to provide free broadband to everyone in America.

FreedomPop only exists as a landing page where one can register an interest in having free mobile broadband, and if it weren't for the involvement of one of Skype's founders it could easily be mistaken for a scam - it sounds too good to be true.

Skype successfully provides free phone calls, but only by piggybacking on someone else's infrastructure. Doing the same thing with free mobile internet access will be a challenge, even with the support of satellite broadband outfit LightSquared.

"FreedomPop represents the kind of disruptive service model that LightSquared is enabling," says LightSquared CEO Sanjiv Ahuja, who was drafted into the company from Orange.http://www.freedompop.com/

Paul Pless
12-21-2011, 10:10 AM
it could easily be mistaken for a scam - it sounds too good to be trueand you wonder why you have so many computer problems:D

skipper68
12-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Insufficient information. Ain't NOBODY offering anything for free in America... not a free lunch, not ANYTHING, so the real questions are:

1) How do they plan to monetize this? Advertising?

2) Is it worth the potential disruption to GPS, considering the adjacency of the frequency bands they plan to use, which are very close to GPS?It looks like LiteSquared will team up with Sprint.http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/29/lightsquared_sprint/ It addresses the GPS in this article.

skipper68
12-21-2011, 10:24 AM
and you wonder why you have so many computer problems:D:D now it's computer'S problems!;)

Mad Scientist
12-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I guess that I'm astern of station, as usual - I'm not really sure what 'Skype' is, nor why I should care...

Tom

PeterSibley
12-21-2011, 08:59 PM
I guess that I'm astern of station, as usual - I'm not really sure what 'Skype' is, nor why I should care...

Tom

You have a learning curve ahead of you .

tongaboy
12-21-2011, 10:54 PM

Tom

Yep...lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink....jono

Garret
12-21-2011, 11:32 PM

Tom

Ever have a friend/family member that's overseas or a ways away?

Skype is a service/computer program that lets you talk (with video if your computer has a camera) with other Skype users anywhere in the world (where there's an internet connection) for free. Yes, free - as in no cost. A friend had a daughter traveling in Thailand. They talked (with video) every week for an hour. Other friends video talk with family members on the other coast for several hours every week. I spend 5-10 hours a week on it for work - as many people I work with have it. We can also transfer files, pics, etc. as we talk. All of this is no charge whatsoever - except you'll have best results if you use a $20 headset rather than your computer's built in microphone & speakers - but that's a single purchase.

I (optionally) pay $35 per year (per year, not per month) extra to call any regular phone (cell or landline) anywhere in the US & Canada for as long as I want. Well - for 4,000 minutes a month - which is more than I've ever used.

Service folks in Iraq & Afghanistan have used it extensively.

fishrswim
12-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Actually, Skype was totally free for the first couple of years while they worked out the bugs, and there were lots of bugs (dropped calls, echo, delay, etc., etc.). After that they started charging a monthly fee. I use it for almost all my calls and have since the beginning. My wife talks to her family in England almost every day. Sound and video are both of amazing quality. No comparison to cell phones or even land lines.

But right now, Apples new "Face Time is totally free for both video and audio. But it only works on Apple devices. Not a problem for my family, but won't work for non Apple users.

yzer
12-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Skype is still completely free so long as it is used for calls between computers on the internet. I make free video calls on Skype on a regular basis, including international video calls. Skype charges for calls to or from telephone numbers.

Garret
12-22-2011, 06:46 AM
What Yzer said! Skype to Skype calls (even video conference calls with 6 people) are completely free. It's being able to call land lines & cells that the charge for.

Concordia 33
12-22-2011, 09:21 AM
I went to the Freedom Pop link, and signed up. Any thoughts on this?http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/09/lightsquared_skype/http://www.freedompop.com/

Am I mistaken, or is Light Squared the group whose signal is feared to ruin GPS accuracy ?