PDA

View Full Version : This is beyond sick

Gerarddm
12-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Remember that video of that insanely dangerous narrow mountain trail? This guy tops it. Certifiable. Watch the whole thing. OMG:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/clip-board/201112/heart-racing-highliner-will-leave-you-breathless

The Bigfella
12-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Yep. He's nuts.

My son has just done the Camino del ray cliff walk in southern Spain. Its a walkway along a cliff face that gets up to 350' above the river below and is collapsed in many areas. He tells me he was un-harnessed for one of the steel beam crossings

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/caminodelrey.jpg

He did a climbing course the week before. He was lead climber on this one (roped below, not above)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/peteleadclimb.jpg

Gerarddm
12-21-2011, 01:35 AM
I am not certifiable. ;-)

Farfalla
12-21-2011, 02:30 AM
BigFella,
if it relieves your parental angst any, your son is actually totally safe in that lead climbing photo. You can assure his anxious Mum of the same thing.
There are at least 8 maybe 10 runners in that pitch and they are all 10mm SS expansion bolts. There's one right between his calves. Bolted sport climbs, especially low angled easy ones are safer than riding a bicycle on a quiet Sunday morning!
I'm sure that he had a lot of fun but he was totally safe. The only dangerous time is before he clips the first runner and that is only 10' or so off the ground. After that safe as houses.
I hope he keeps at it, an amazing sport, lots of fun.

SophieBY:D

Bernadette
12-21-2011, 04:40 AM
the guy on the tightrope is just absolutely fantastic. he is so very brave. i wonder if he will live to a ripe old age though?

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 04:45 AM
BigFella,
if it relieves your parental angst any, your son is actually totally safe in that lead climbing photo. You can assure his anxious Mum of the same thing.
There are at least 8 maybe 10 runners in that pitch and they are all 10mm SS expansion bolts. There's one right between his calves. Bolted sport climbs, especially low angled easy ones are safer than riding a bicycle on a quiet Sunday morning!
I'm sure that he had a lot of fun but he was totally safe. The only dangerous time is before he clips the first runner and that is only 10' or so off the ground. After that safe as houses.
I hope he keeps at it, an amazing sport, lots of fun.

SophieBY:D

No-one's been game to show his mother the photos yet.

Farfalla
12-21-2011, 05:58 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6548253293_53c0b58308_b.jpg

This is the North face of the Grandes Jorasses in Chamonix. The face is about 4500' high from the base of the central buttress to the summit. The large icefield to the right of that buttress has a climb called the Colton-Macintyre, one of the classic ice climbs in the Alps. It goes up the left edge of the iceface and then up a series of ice gullies and grooves to the summit. A fabulous climb!!
After Xmas we are going to go to Chamonix for a couple of weeks and hopefully do that climb.
I've done it before in summer but that was years ago and with global warming it's not in as good a condition in the summer anymore so it's usually a winter route nowadays.

The photo below is not me, it is one off the internet. The last time we did it in summer, you have to climb this initial section in the dark to avoid the danger of stonefall from above, so no pictures. In winter there is not a problem with stonefall.

That picture is about 1000' up nearing the top of the central icefield.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6548196865_4560747f89_z.jpg

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 06:09 AM
ego masturbation... why celibrate it?

why should I be favorably impressed by other men being titilated watching this man 'stroking'?... shame on you

Ron Williamson
12-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Jeez Phillip,what do you do for fun?
Poke a bee's nest?Oh,wait....
R

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 06:26 AM
R

whatever I do for fun is not dependant on the approval of strangers... dI try to be self-contained.
walking that line is the same if it is 3 feet off the ground as 300 or 3000... sensationalism dependancy/addiction is not my thing at all

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 06:27 AM
R

I think he mentioned masturbation and celibacy. Freudian slip?

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 06:28 AM
whatever I do for fun is not dependant on the approval of strangers... dI try to be self-contained.
walking that line is the same if it is 3 feet off the ground as 300 or 3000... sensationalism dependancy/addiction is not my thing at all

Yeah... exactly the same.... unless you make an error. Can you do it at 3'?

stevebaby
12-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Yep. He's nuts.

My son has just done the Camino del ray cliff walk in southern Spain. Its a walkway along a cliff face that gets up to 350' above the river below and is collapsed in many areas. He tells me he was un-harnessed for one of the steel beam crossings

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/caminodelrey.jpg

He did a climbing course the week before. He was lead climber on this one (roped below, not above)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/peteleadclimb.jpgThat's quite a nice little piece of rock there. If he was doing a beginners course he's done well. There are some good lines up but he hasn't picked the easiest, actually one of the more interesting lines. Which way did he turn from the ledge he's on to the top, if you could ask your son?

I'm sure you'll be able to find the stats to reassure his mum that climbing is one of the safest sports there is. Fatalities are rare. He's done the sensible thing by doing a course, but his instructor should have told him one of the Golden Rules of climbing...never, ever be within your own body length of exposure unless securely anchored. Some of the best climbers have died by becoming complacent about exposure to heights.
It's a pic worth saving.

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Yeah... exactly the same.... unless you make an error. Can you do it at 3'?

so then your titilation comes from hoping to see someone get killed...great

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 06:44 AM
I don't know Steve. I do believe that was his first climb. He's still over there.... won't be home until January.... and has had his phone knocked off but I'll see if I can find out though. His last email said the videos he has of the cliff walk are pretty good.

Interestingly, his mother is in an orthopedic ward at present, brought on in part by her last trip away with him.... she had a fall in atrocious weather on the Routeburn Track last Christmas and has just had a new hip fitted.

Speaking of exposure without anchoring... I've got a photo of me on top of the Harbour Bridge... unanchored. The guy who took the photo was standing on top of the safety rail to get a better angle... also unanchored. Doesn't happen like that these days.

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 06:45 AM
so then your titilation comes from hoping to see someone get killed...great

Oh dear.... another person today who wants to assume they know what I'm thinking. Wrong.

Ron Williamson
12-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Life without risk is no life at all, and adrenaline is addictive.
R

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Life without risk is no life at all, and adrenaline is addictive.
R

you are quite wrong... self imposed risk is sickness. There are plenty of risks without seeking them out in order to garner admiration from crowds of strangers

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Oh dear.... another person today who wants to assume they know what I'm thinking. Wrong.

patently obvious if you admire fools like that

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 07:02 AM
what sort of mental weakling needs the admiration of crowds of strangers in order to feel validated?

stevebaby
12-21-2011, 07:03 AM
patently obvious if you admire fools like thatSissie.

stevebaby
12-21-2011, 07:04 AM
what sort of mental weakling needs the admiration of crowds of strangers in order to feel validated?And your post count is...?

The Bigfella
12-21-2011, 07:05 AM
And your post count is...?

That's pretty damn good there Steve.

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Sissie.

I asked the last fella who accused me of being a sissie how he would explain to his momma how he got his legs braided by a sissie? :)

Rapelapente
12-21-2011, 07:53 AM
And what about this one ?

http://youtu.be/TWfph3iNC-k

LeeG
12-21-2011, 08:01 AM
incredible pics. I wonder if Phillip is saying that from the myriad of working activities that expose people to injury/death from making something and earning a living it's nuts to do something that produces nothing and is meant to expose people to risk.

to which I say there are some folks who are risk takers and some who are naturally conservative.

stevebaby
12-21-2011, 08:46 AM
I asked the last fella who accused me of being a sissie how he would explain to his momma how he got his legs braided by a sissie? :)Then he decked you.
The world's full of 'em.

stevebaby
12-21-2011, 08:50 AM
incredible pics. I wonder if Phillip is saying that from the myriad of working activities that expose people to injury/death from making something and earning a living it's nuts to do something that produces nothing and is meant to expose people to risk.

to which I say there are some folks who are risk takers and some who are naturally conservative.Somebody recently posted some astonishing pics of steel workers on some of the early high rise buildings in New York. Those buildings...and they're still there...couldn't have been built unless those workers took risks.

Paul Pless
12-21-2011, 09:35 AM

By extension, you must be against people that go sailing offshore solo. . .

<FART>

Paul Pless
12-21-2011, 09:39 AM
And what about this one ?

http://youtu.be/TWfph3iNC-k

Jeb Corliss and Laird Hamilton are my two favorite high risk adventure seekers. Balls!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/08/Laird_Big_Wave.jpg

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 11:46 AM

<FART>

nope

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 11:48 AM

to which I say there are some folks who are risk takers and some who are naturally conservative.

and to which I say... Darwin sez no

S.V. Airlie
12-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Bees are basically harmless. Yes they can sting, but compared to wasps which seem to have a vendetta out on anyone, nothing big..
Oh right bees don't like humidity..

Ian McColgin
12-21-2011, 11:54 AM
The pic of Grandes Jorasses takes me back. Over Christmass '65 I only climbed the lower snowfield, which was exciting enough for my age and experience.

Dan McCosh
12-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Remember that video of that insanely dangerous narrow mountain trail? This guy tops it. Certifiable. Watch the whole thing. OMG:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/clip-board/201112/heart-racing-highliner-will-leave-you-breathless

It's no harder than when the rope is a couple of feet off the ground.

S.V. Airlie
12-21-2011, 03:18 PM

<FART>Ouch! That hurts.

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 03:58 PM
It's no harder than when the rope is a couple of feet off the ground.

circus circus

Paul Pless
12-21-2011, 04:02 PM
circus circusThis is not a 'flame' that you do even remotely well.

Phillip Allen
12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
This is not a 'flame' that you do even remotely well.

I am being sincere... also I'm not sure what the above quote is suppose to mean

Farfalla
12-21-2011, 05:15 PM
The pic of Grandes Jorasses takes me back. Over Christmass '65 I only climbed the lower snowfield, which was exciting enough for my age and experience.

Hi Ian,
So you've been out on the glacier at the foot of the wall.
Incredible face isn't it. I think it's easily the most beautiful wall in the Alps.
Did you get up to the 'Schrund at the bottom of the faces, they look so huge from that point?

I've done "La Linceul" aka "The Shroud", that's the big ice field to the left of the central spur, great route but not a patch on the Colton-Macintyre. The Walker spur is a classic but that has a lot of rock, in good conditions its a huge traffic jam these days. One of the advantages of winter climbing is there are a lot less people about.
The Jorasses is an amazing place to climb.

in 65, routes like the Shroud and Colton-Mac weren't possible, climbers hadn't developed the "piolet traction" techniques back then. The North faces of the Triolet and Les Courtes were the hardest ice routes back then.
Climbing in the Alps then must have been fun, not the crowds you get these days. You were lucky!!

Sophie

Gerarddm
12-21-2011, 06:07 PM
There is just something inherently wrong about ice climbing. The idea is to climb something with traction, eh?

I used to rock climb years ago, back in NY at the 'Gunks. Got up to around 5.10 difficulty. Always in the summer/fall.

Farfalla
12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi Gerard,
I've never climbed in the Gunks, lots of trad climbing from what I've seen. Looks good.

Piolet traction is modern ice climbing technique that is shown in the pic of the guy climbing. Till Chouinard developed curved pick axes and Macinnes his Terrordactyls front point climbing was very limited even after those crampons had been developed because traditional ice axes were of limited use when things got very steep. Classic or "French" technique was desperate on anything above 50 degrees or so. You had to resort to step cutting. using ice daggers helped a bit and some truly desperate climbs were put up, notably in Scotland in winter but they were the exception.
It wasn't till the early 70's that the technology was there to allow climbers to readily tackle vertical and beyond ice regularly. A lot of modern routes involve long sections of incredibly steep ice or very sketchy mixed climbing which can be incredibly precarious.
a lot of serious training is required to climb at those levels but it has opened up all sorts of faces that were considered impossible not too long ago.

This is middle of the road for difficulty today!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6551353037_c43be48f6d_b.jpg

Sometimes it can be a little "interesting"!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6551353171_9df151d269_b.jpg

Great fun:d

Sophie

SamSam
12-25-2011, 06:10 PM
At 1:34 in the OP you can see the shadow of a safety lanyard hooked to the tightrope. Can videos be photoshopped?

Phillip Allen
12-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I think I saw it... if so... :)

Farfalla
12-26-2011, 05:07 AM
US teenager Jordan Romero sets seven peak record (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16328714)

He started with Kilimanjaro when he was 10!

I'm sorry but this sort of thing is "sick" for a whole different reason!

Adults who have spent years training and acquiring skills that allow them to take calculated risks is one thing. Jeb Corliss spentbyears acquiring the skills he uses. Those big wave riders and wire walkers did the same thing. They can make informed judgements and have skills to handle the situations that can arise.

Taking people into extreme situations when they have no real experience or the abilities that are required to save themselves or others when things go wrong is stupid.
When it is done just for the clients stupid ego and the dubious profit motive of the guiding businesses then it's more than sad.
But putting a child in these situations for some very dubious reasons is a whole other level of stupidity!

When things go wrong in the high mountains there is no room for beginners and lives are lost every year because of this stupidity.
One of the first people to climb all 7 summits was Reinhold Messner, but he climbed Everest without supplementary oxygen and as part of a small group. There were no fixed ropes, guides and constant bottled oxygen. He returned the next year and soloed it from the Tibetan side, again without supplementary oxygen or a back up party.
A 13 yr old child taken up there in a commercial venture is really sick.

The whole 7 summits thing is a bit of a hype really.
For a start Kilimanjaro is regularly ran up by extreme runners, it's little more than a long hike. All sorts of charity events are held that involve people climbing it.
nearby Mt. Kenya which is only slightly lower is a far more technical peak with no easy routes at all.
The Sth. Col route on Everest has no real technical climbing and is regularly climbed every season by all sorts of total novices basically hauled up the mountain in a "oxygen tent" to the summit by guides and sherpas.
The second highest summit K2 is often not summited at all in a season despite many attempts.
Carstenz Pyramid has very little real climbing and the two small glaciers are in major retreat because of global warming. Parties now fly in to the base to avoid weeks of trekking.
Vinson is technically nothing other than a snow walk once you are flown in and the companies advertise that the only mildly technical bits are all done on fixed rope.

Guided climbing to the "highest" peaks is now big business. Vinson costs about $40,000. Everest is about $70,000.
Many climbers are totally against this sort of rubbish.

All 14 8,000metre peaks is a whole different thing, a real achievement based on skill and courage.

I'm sorry but compared to the achievements of someone like Jessica Watson who actually did things unaided, this sort of thing is just commercial hype and exploitation.
There is no way that an untrained child should be put in such situations.
No matter how much time he's spent climbing at low altitudes he just doesn't have the experience or the physical and mental reserves to handle things if they went wrong.

Sophie

Bernadette
12-26-2011, 05:25 AM
yeah i saw the safety line shadow too.
hmmmmm...
i dont reckon i would want to die either.

is that flying thing the guy does in his black batwing suit, difficult? like how difficult i wonder...?

Paul Pless
12-26-2011, 06:37 AM
At 1:34 in the OP you can see the shadow of a safety lanyard hooked to the tightrope. Can videos be photoshopped?Is it a safety line shadow? or is it the shadow of the rigging that holds the 'tight rope' up? I think the later. . .

Lewisboater
12-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I wonder about the downward shots...where are they coming from? I don't see any camera around his neck or under the bill of the cap.