PDA

View Full Version : One Iranian Israel must be proud of

WX
12-20-2011, 08:36 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16190541

Thousands of Iranian Jews and their descendants owe their lives to a Muslim diplomat in wartime Paris, according to a new book. In The Lion's Shadow tells how Abdol-Hossein Sardari risked everything to help fellow Iranians escape the Nazis.
Eliane Senahi Cohanim was seven years old when she fled France with her family.
She remembers clutching her favourite doll and lying as still as she could, pretending to be asleep, whenever their train came to a halt at a Nazi checkpoint.
"I remember everywhere, when we were running away, they would ask for our passports, and I remember my father would hand them the passports and they would look at them. And then they would look at us. It was scary. It was very, very scary."
Mrs Cohanim and her family were part of a small, close-knit community of Iranian Jews living in and around Paris.
Her father, George Senahi, was a prosperous textile merchant and the family lived in a large, comfortable house in Montmorency, about 25km (15.5 miles) north of the French capital.

Bruce Hooke
12-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Wow. What a story. This closing to the story is worth noting, I think:

Mr Mokhtari hopes that by telling his story, through the testimony of survivors, including Mrs Cohanim, he will bring it to a wider audience but also shatter "popular misconceptions" about Iran and the Iranians.

"Here you have a Muslim Iranian who goes out of his way, risks his life, certainly risks his career and property and everything else, to save fellow Iranians," he says.
"There is no distinction 'I am Muslim, he is Jew' or whatever."
He believes the story illustrates the "general cultural propensity of Iranians to be tolerant" which is often overlooked in the current political climate.

In recent years many have been all to quick to see Iran and Iranians and the personification of evil...

PeterSibley
12-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Wow. What a story. This closing to the story is worth noting, I think:

In recent years many have been all to quick to see Iran and Iranians and the personification of evil...

For all their faults they seem to have finally escaped colonisation by the West. No wonder they are vilified .