PDA

View Full Version : '72 Dolphin team members pop the cork again

John Smith
12-19-2011, 07:54 PM
The Packers' winning streak ended with a lost to Kansas City. With each passing year when no team does the undefeated season, I appreciate even more what those Dolphins did.

chas
12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
"I appreciate even more what those Dolphins did. "

...and I'm sure they appreciate even more what the Packers do, keep on winning! The Dolphin running game was spectacular that season. I can remember some of the names. / Jim

brad9798
12-19-2011, 09:35 PM
What about the Patriots ... of course you remember them ... ;)

TANSTAF1
12-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Yes, and God loves Tom more than Tim.

John Smith
12-20-2011, 09:52 AM
"I appreciate even more what those Dolphins did. "

...and I'm sure they appreciate even more what the Packers do, keep on winning! The Dolphin running game was spectacular that season. I can remember some of the names. / Jim
czonk,Kick,and Morris. Czonka was not going to run far, but he was going to go ahead 4 yards. Morris was a fast outside threat, and Kick was a little of both.

Let us not forget, they had that season with their back up Quarterback, Earl Morrell, if memory serves.

John Smith
12-20-2011, 09:54 AM
What about the Patriots ... of course you remember them ... ;)

They only almost did what the Dolpins did. So far, the Dolphins are the ONLY team that's done what they did. The the World Football League came along and that Dolphin team lost some of its players.

Paul Pless
12-20-2011, 09:56 AM
pop the cork againThat whole celebration is getting pretty tired. . .

Dutch
12-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Yes, and God loves Tom more than Tim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul2dhNaQgxM

brad9798
12-20-2011, 01:54 PM
What did the Dolphins do more than the Patriots? Seriously.

Ted Hoppe
12-20-2011, 02:27 PM
What did the Dolphins do more than the Patriots? Seriously.
Dolphins were amazing! They played 18 straight games before taking a loss. The season was shorter with less down time between games. In the end, they earned the championship ring with a returning after injured, legally blind quarterback, a physical running team and great coaching.
Rumor has it that now the dolphins alum drink diet coke at the end of each season now...

The Pats success was great until postseason before being beaten in Super Bowl XLII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLII) by the New York Giants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_New_York_Giants_season), losing the perfect season by 3 points.

brad9798
12-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh yea, I forgot they lost the Superbowl. Oops.

Chris Smith porter maine
12-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Actually the Dolphins are the only post 1970 merger team to win every game they, went 17-0 that year the 18th game in a row was played the following year, the Patriots won 18 all in one season, but they lost the big one to go 18-1 for the year, when the Dolphins won they only played 14 regular season games. Before the merger the 48 Cleveland Browns went 15-0, and won a total of 29 straight games, perhaps the best Football run ever.

Chris Smith

brad9798
12-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Who are the Cleveland Browns ...

Chris Smith porter maine
12-21-2011, 07:46 PM
The end of Jim Brown.and Leroy Kelly at my age, a franchise that should have been bought by the fans like Green Bay was, now well I guess they are the current Ravens just a lot of history, but I bet they did not waste a nite a year for almost 40 years toasting another teams loss, but I could be wrong they still might be toasting :D
Chris Smith

John Smith
12-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Dolphins were amazing! They played 18 straight games before taking a loss. The season was shorter with less down time between games. In the end, they earned the championship ring with a returning after injured, legally blind quarterback, a physical running team and great coaching.
Rumor has it that now the dolphins alum drink diet coke at the end of each season now...

The Pats success was great until postseason before being beaten in Super Bowl XLII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLII) by the New York Giants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_New_York_Giants_season), losing the perfect season by 3 points.

There's another factor here. Picture the Patriots without Brady. The Dolphins played most of that year with their back up quarterback; their starter, Griesie was hurt.

John Smith
12-21-2011, 08:07 PM
The dolphins of that year had the "no name" defense. They were a remarkable unit with no "stars". They were terrific.

Offensively they had a couple of very good, if not great receivers, who's names escape me. They had Mercury Morris as a very fast runner that generally could get outside and turn the corner for yardage. They Had Larry Csonka who was a big, brusing, straight ahead back. His longest career run from scrimmage my have been less than 20 yards. He was, however, almost guaranteed to get 3 yards. The defense couldn't key on Csonka or Morris. If they guessed wrong, the other one would get the first down. Their substitute back, Jim Kick, was an excellent replacement. He was good enough up the middle so the defense couldn't key on Morris, and good enough as an outside runner that they couldn't key on Csonka.

This was an extemely disciplined team

Paul Warfiled was a receiver. I just remembered.

It is important to look at today's teams that do come close to what they did and imagine those teams without their starting quarterback: check out the colts. The 72 Dolpins could win wiht any decent quarterback.

Mad Scientist
12-21-2011, 08:33 PM
BTW, the Colts no longer have a 'perfect' record, either...:p

Tom