PDA

View Full Version : Finally.... after years of searching, someone less coherent than Old Mate

The Bigfella
12-10-2011, 07:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpc17K7q7U&feature=player_embedded

The Bigfella
12-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Can I point out that Old Mate is a generic term?

Tylerdurden
12-10-2011, 08:06 PM
First time I read the term "Old Mate" was in an article called

The many shades of racism Racism and Corporate Australia (http://blakandblack.com/2011/01/05/racism-and-corporate-australia-2/)

Maybe you could explain the use of the term better for we Americans don't think the wrong things.

David G
12-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Poor girl. Either she's an irretrievable mess (something she'll be saddled with for life)... or it was her first time in front of the camera. I'd guess the latter. I remember my first time being interviewed for tv. I was 19, and came off like a total tool. And... even back then... I was not a TOTAL tool.

The Bigfella
12-10-2011, 08:46 PM

Maybe you could explain the use of the term better for we Americans don't think the wrong things.

Is that sentence an American version of English, or is it something else?

Mrleft8
12-10-2011, 08:53 PM
OK.... I think perhaps there's a bit of a language hurdle, combined with a cultural divide as wide as the Great Rift Valley....
Aside from the underarm swabbing, and nose picking, I thought she was precious... I mean pressured..... I mean a swimmer.... Or a lawyer.....

bobbys
12-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I do not know what "old Mate" signifies.

I think its Australian as in calling woman "Shirlee's"

Mrleft8
12-10-2011, 09:23 PM
I got ambushed by a TV news "reporter" a few years ago when there was the annual row about nativity scenes and hanukah menorahs, and kwanza whatevers....
I had some pretty cogent opinions about the issue that year (It seems like every year there's some new twist to complain about)....
But I came around a corner with my full beard and watch cap, and barn coat on, and this miniature chubby guy shoved a microphone in my face and said "What's your opinion on the controversy!?"
Well first thing was, I didn't really know what controversy he was talking about, and secondly, he caught me completely by surprise. That night, there I was on TV saying, in a voice borrowed from Kermit the Frog. "I think they have as much right to light things as we do"...... Then on to the reporter commenting on some blather about religious freedom and intolerance in protestant dominated old New England towns...
So yeah...... But the under arm swabbing was a bit over the top....

seanz
12-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Kermit the Frog. "I think they have as much right to light things as we do".

Who knew Kermit was a rasta?

seanz
12-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Good Grief! How old is she? She seems about 17. Which might explain the terrible stagefright.

Mrleft8
12-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Who knew Kermit was a rasta?
Few know his last name is really Salassie. "Kermit Salassie". The last of the Ethiopian frog emperors. Raised as "Kermie" from polywoghood by his auntie, and called "Ras da frog" by his playmates, Kermie became the legendary leader of rag tag followers called "Muppets" by the press.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Haile Unlikely.

Mrleft8
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Speaking of frogs..... Are the "Yield to toads crossing the road" signs still up in Cumbria?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Speaking of frogs..... Are the "Yield to toads crossing the road" signs still up in Cumbria?

I guess so - but what's even better is....

I've found you a part time job - nights only and in March
http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/reptile-and-amphibian-forums/81770-still-no-volunteers-toad-crossing-despite-trying-everything.html

Gotta be better than Maine.

Mrleft8
12-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Certainly warmer than Maine in the winter. Not sure about summer though. This is one of the reasons I haven't been to either Cumbria, or Maine in many, many years.
Do they have toad crossing guards in Wales as well?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-11-2011, 03:43 PM
None as I've seen.

Mrleft8
12-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Do they have whale crossings at Toad?