PDA

View Full Version : Death to cats!!!

seo
12-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Actually, I like Monsieur Jean Clawed Kitty well enough. Amusing how he sits on my lap, purring, and thirty seconds later stares at me in terror and fury, certain that I am about to murder him, and races away.
What is NOT FUNNY is his love of getting up on the boat cover. It must be irresistible to someone who has paws to rig out their claws and go right up a steep pitch of gleaming white plastic. Which I just bought, installed, heat shrunk, etc, and the li'l bastid just ripped it full of holes.
It's a battle of wits. The work platform is cordoned off with steel mesh garden fencing, collectively known as the KED (kitty exclusion device), which works as long as every part of it is erected every day. Neglect to cover every chink in the armor, and the next morning, there's Claude, up on the cover, looking smug.

Breakaway
12-10-2011, 05:46 PM
She was just concerned you had not allowed enough ventilation. Salty cat, that one.

Kevin

Ian McColgin
12-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Jean Clawed is just saying that you should make a properly fitted cover of very heavy cotton canvass with a special rug strip sewn on for his tactile enjoyment.

Don Kurylko
12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Yeah, some people are just slow learners. :rolleyes:

Bill Huson
12-10-2011, 06:17 PM
My former cat loved napping on convertible tops - and I had two ragtops at the time - so many choices! Kitty would migrate from one to the other, but never snagged one with her claws. Left muddy paw prints all over though . . .

JoshuaIII
12-10-2011, 07:16 PM
No Chinese restaurant around your place? They always have good use for a cat... ;)

Gib Etheridge
12-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Maybe a couple of old socks with mothballs would repel J.C.K., or perhaps a liberal dose of capsicum or cayenne powder, often available in bulk at health food stores. A cat would probably be grossed out by a band of "tanglefoot". It's sticky like hell and will last all winter.

Todd D
12-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah, cats and boat covers. I have my powerboat and sailboat sitting about 4' apart in the yard. The powerboat was covered about 3 weeks ago. Last week I was putting the frame for the cover up on the sailboat when Spike, the 18lb kitty, ran up the ladder onto the boat. In no time he dashed across the cockpit and leapt onto the 60 degree slope of the white plastic powerboat cover. I could hear the pops as his claws penetrated when he landed on the slippery surface. He quickly climbed to the top of the cover and spent the next 20 minutes walking the ridge pole and supervising my work. I hope the duct tape I put over the claw holes holds up :D. When the cover is off the powerboat he likes to sleep on top of the canvas awning over the aft end of the cockpit. No "kitty holes" there, be he coats it with black fur.

gstanfield
12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
I used to have issues like that, but I discovered a neat trick that is garenteed to stop all bad behavior with ANY cat! It's a simple as cutting off the cat's tail approximately 1-2 inches behind it's ears ;)

ramillett
12-10-2011, 09:23 PM
My son's friend has a 12 foot python , funny thing no cat problems in his neighbor hood :)

outofthenorm
12-10-2011, 09:52 PM
there's Claude, up on the cover, looking smug.

That's what the garden hose is for. Or even better, the high pressure washer. Technology rules.

davebrown
12-11-2011, 12:20 AM
My wife has a Durn Cat that thinks a BMW convertible top is a custom made sofa.

Eddiebou
12-11-2011, 08:00 AM
I have 2 cats that live in my shop. They come and go as they please, through a purpose made hole in the floor. Bushrod spends most of his time up in the loft. Fanny is a ball of nerves most of the time. But without fail, if I mix epoxy, she's gonna get in it.
You know how Kramer, on Seinfeld, bursts through the door into the apartment? That's Fanny....She'll run in so fast and jump right on whatever I've just epoxied or painted. She jumped on the (hot) woodstove once, but only once.

kenjamin
12-11-2011, 10:12 AM
No Chinese restaurant around your place? They always have good use for a cat... ;)

I hear they're good with duck sauce.

http://www.bodaciousboats.com/PenelopeSleeping.jpg

Gerarddm
12-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Cats have never earned their attitude. Give me a good dog any time.

The Bigfella
12-12-2011, 02:38 AM
http://i.imgur.com/nw7wH.jpg

FlyingCloud1937
12-12-2011, 03:10 AM
Death to a cat is funny...until.

Just like the political divide.

It doesn't hurt until it happens to to YOU.

We lost "Simba" yesterday....it hurts!

She was with my wife from 6 weeks, a total of 18 years.

"Simaba" was with me only 10 of those years.

My wife and I will sustain...but it hurts.

Divide and concur, it's less painful that way?

lloyd

JoshuaIII
12-12-2011, 06:13 AM
Sorry for your cat Lloyd...
But it is 100% cultural...

Go to India explaining to those people that not only we eat cows but also how we treat them... We are far from the sacred cow!

Pig are more smart then dog... If you had one around for 10 years you won't consider eating bacon either, but it's not what stop you ;)

seo
12-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Lloyd,
I apologize if I offended you. About all I can say is that Claude continues to get up on the cover, and I've never even thrown a bucket of water at him. He was a stray who was taken in by Roger, a very sweet guy across the street, a Vietnam vet who fed the neighborhood cats. Then Roger died, and our two cats, Louis and Titan, invited Claude to come live with them. And now he's the only one left except for the dog.
What Joshua says above about pigs has a lot of truth in it. I grew up on a farm, and made friends with the animals. You can imagine how that ended up.
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/lXKDu6cdXLI?rel=0

Farfalla
12-14-2011, 03:46 AM
Dogs yes. Cats no, not interested. I get the feeling that I'm just a servant with cats while dogs it's a whole different thing.

As far as creatures under boat covers. A friend had his boat out of the water in Henley last winter and went down to have a look in March after being away for several months, only to find a whole tribe of squirrels had moved in under the carefully fitted covers.
Smart, they didn't damage the cover that kept the weather out but they trashed everything else they could chew on. Made a serious mess of the woodwork when they were bored and wanted some fun snug and warm away from the weather!

chuckt
12-14-2011, 07:02 AM
I have a cat-hating dog you could borrow. Actually she doesn't hate cats, but her favorite thing is chasing them.