PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Internet Security

Shang
12-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Last night my laptop began displaying frantic warnings about a Trojan Horse infection. The computer was flooded with pop-ups, the whole screen was blocked, and presently the only thing I could reach was a page that informed me that my computer's only hope for salvation was if I agreed to buy into Win 7 Internet Security 2012 for sixty, or seventy, or eighty dollars. Of course this would mean sending Win 7 my credit card data. To hell with that, I aint Little Red Ridinghood, and Win 7 doesn't ring true! Win 7's warnings sound too shrill.

This morning I am on line with the clunker computer in my studio, running on Linux. My laptop is still unusablel as the pop-ups continue to flood the screen. According to a couple of security sites I've read today "Win 7 Internet Security 2012" is a wolf in sheep's clothing--malware in the guise of an anti-malware program.

I've tried to access McAfee or Norton to clean up the mess, but Win 7 won't let me navigate into open water to download anything else.

Does anyone have experience with Win 7, and does anyone have a solution, or know of an end-run around Win 7 to reach legitimate anti-malware sources?

skipper68
12-10-2011, 09:05 AM
YIKES! Living in my own ongoing PC H*LL, I would go to this sight, http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx and copy it to a CD (if possible) and then run it on your Windows 7. It only works for ten days, but best I can help, till the real pro's here wake up. Good luck!

Shang
12-10-2011, 09:12 AM
YIKES! Living in my own ongoing PC H*LL, I would go to this sight, http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx and copy it to a CD (if possible) and then run it on your Windows 7. It only works for ten days, but best I can help, till the real pro's here wake up. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll give that a try, download onto my Linux machine, then shoe-leather the disc to the laptop.

Presently I am printing out "Remove Win 7 Internet Security 2012 (Uninstall Guide)", but so far it is five pages of information printed in six-point type, so it may be a trial to use.

The Judge
12-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I have oodles of experience with this.

You have correctly diagnosed that the Win7 junk you're seeing is in fact the output of the malware itself, and its "offer" of paid repair is a total scam. This is VERY common malware.

The bad news is that it's unlikely that it can be cleaned while Windows 7 is running. Professionals will start an infected computer with a CD that has a version of Linux on it, since malware is water off a duck's back to Linux, and also has anti virus software that scans your hard drive while Windows is NOT running. Several anti virus outfits offer these CDs free of charge, which can be downloaded as an .iso file and burned to a bootable disk.

AVG, Bit Defender, Kaspersky, for example.

It takes a degree of skill to use them, and beware that they can be dangerous in that it is possible to delete ANY file when working from a CD based operating system, so if it finds malware in a critical Windows system file, you may simply delete it to delete the malware, but you may also be crippling the operating system.

Working on malware from a remote operating system requires a fairly high degree of skill to avoid disaster. I suggest a local professional, NOT Best Buy's Geek Squad, which is a bunch of underpaid, inexperienced kids.

John Bell
12-10-2011, 10:19 AM
THe win XP versions of this can be removed by starting in safe mode and editing your registry. We've been hit by this one at least twice...

See http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-win-7-internet-security-2012.html for info and directions.

BrianW
12-10-2011, 10:23 AM
A coworker had a similar virus, called Security Fix, last night. I had to boot in Safe Mode with Networking to get him back to the internet to try and download a fix. We got it mostly working, then a better qualified geek helped him out today while I was flying. Think he has it back to normal, but it was a long drawn out affair.

Stiletto
12-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I had a similar issue on my computer about a month ago with a thing called security defender that was set up to look like a windows program.

The (simplest) solution that worked for me was to restart the computer in safe mode; download Malwarebytes and run a full scan and clean. Problem solved!

Lewisboater
12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
My go to is AVG's boot cd. it is quite easy to use. download it on another system and burn it. It boots to linux with an easy to use DOS like interface. It will update if you have a connection (broadband) and run it's scan. I have had that type of malware before too. After AVG cleaned it up a bit then I booted into safemode and did a system restore. I now run 3 different anti malware programs along with avg antivirus program. Knock on wood I haven't caught anything yet since then.

AndyG
12-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Spybot "Search and Destroy".

It's free and awesome. Download this, and any operational updates onto a non-infected machine. Fire up the infected PC in safe mode with no networking. To do this, with the infected PC on, type "msconfig" into the wee Start Search bar accessed by the button, button left. Select "safe mode" on the boot menu. Restart the infected PC. Load Spybot and let it run.

You'll be sorted. I betcha.

Andy

Bruce Hooke
12-10-2011, 07:02 PM
If you don't have a lot of special software installed and if you do have all the installation CD's for both the operating system and the software, often the easiest solution to this sort of thing is to:

A. Back up all of your work (the files you have created such as text documents, photographs, etc.). This, of course, is the most vital step to get right because once you do step B below there is no going back.

B. Wipe the hard drive clean and install the operating system from CD.

C. As soon as you have the operating system installed run windows update to get the latest updates and install your chosen anti-virus software and make sure it is up to date. Avoid doing anything online that you don't absolutely have to in order to get to this point because while you are getting to this point your computer is very vulnerable to reinfection.

D. Now you can reinstall all the software you use and restore your working files from the backup.

CharlieCobra
12-10-2011, 09:11 PM
I had one a couple of years ago that was VERY tenacious and smart. It went around disabling my access as I tried different things to kill it including RegEdit32. It adapted to whatever I tried on the fly. I finally had to use a backdoor account that I had sitting dormant to nuke it.

tongaboy
12-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Last night my laptop began displaying frantic warnings about a Trojan Horse infection. The computer was flooded with pop-ups, the whole screen was blocked, and presently the only thing I could reach was a page that informed me that my computer's only hope for salvation was if I agreed to buy into Win 7 Internet Security 2012 for sixty, or seventy, or eighty dollars. Of course this would mean sending Win 7 my credit card data. To hell with that, I aint Little Red Ridinghood, and Win 7 doesn't ring true! Win 7's warnings sound too shrill.

This morning I am on line with the clunker computer in my studio, running on Linux. My laptop is still unusablel as the pop-ups continue to flood the screen. According to a couple of security sites I've read today "Win 7 Internet Security 2012" is a wolf in sheep's clothing--malware in the guise of an anti-malware program.

I've tried to access McAfee or Norton to clean up the mess, but Win 7 won't let me navigate into open water to download anything else.

Does anyone have experience with Win 7, and does anyone have a solution, or know of an end-run around Win 7 to reach legitimate anti-malware sources?

Although I use Linux Ubuntu and not Windows 7, I know how to help.

Use your Linux pc to d/load any antivirus software/ or any software onto a usb...start Windoow 7 and try to install your antivirus from the usb (drag it from the usb onto the desktop and try to install)....THE MAIN POINT here, is to find where your virus is located....then use the following to remove it!!

# As you may already know Linux Ubuntu, booted from a CD or USB can be used as a working operating system without installing...Download a copy of Ubuntu and burn it to a CD/USB, select the first on the list...(386bit...keep it simple)

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

.....place the disc/usb in and reboot (don't worry it won't install on your hard-drive)....

Once Ubuntu is running use it to view and open your Windows 7....now navigate through your C drive to the location of your virus...next right click it and select delete/ move to rubbish...reboot your pc remove the Ubuntu CD/USB and then Windows 7 will start less your virus :)....you can use Ubuntu to recover lost data also.

This is a older Youtube video, using Ubuntu to Clean up a XP operating machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC1AbBdIY9A

hope this helped...:D jono