PDA

View Full Version : Steaming old Yellow pine?

kbowen
12-07-2011, 11:29 PM
At least I think it's yellow pine, it's extremely resinous with very pronounced growth rings. It is in the form of rough-sawn 2x4's, 20' long, that I just removed from a 100 year-old garage, some of the pieces are clear. I am thinking sheer-clamps and deck beams but this wood is not going to simply spring into place. Can I steam it? What happens to all that resin when you steam something like this? I'd love to use this stuff, it is tough as nails.

Bob Smalser
12-07-2011, 11:48 PM
...yellow pine...removed from a 100 year-old garage...

...Can I steam it?

You can try one and see. But it's an exceptionally stiff species already exposed to a lot of age and heat, and I doubt it.

Laminating remains an option, but in stiff woods sometimes you have to steam the thin lams to set the bend, then unclamp and glue it either in place or over a form.

And attic rafters are out entirely. They were exposed to too much heat for too long and have lost much of their resilience and rot resistance.

kbowen
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
You can try one and see. But it's an exceptionally stiff species already exposed to a lot of age and heat, and I doubt it.

Laminating remains an option, but in stiff woods sometimes you have to steam the thin lams to set the bend, then unclamp and glue it either in place or over a form.

And attic rafters are out entirely. They were exposed to too much heat for too long and have lost much of their resilience and rot resistance.

Thanks for the reply, Can you laminate / glue wood that is so full of resin? When I sawed this stuff out, it smelled like a newly cut Christmas tree. I hate to throw it out because it is so strong, and I'm not sure I want to fill my stovepipe with creosote by burning it.

Bob Smalser
12-08-2011, 08:28 PM
But to what degree? While weeping pitch pockets won't take glue, nor will fatwood from stumps that can be lit with a match, smelly but dry yellow pine studwood gets glued successfully every day in Glulams. If in doubt do a test piece using resorcinol.