PDA

View Full Version : New Atonement System for the Bilge

Canoez
12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ucomics.com/crstr111206.gif

As an aside, I worked for a company that did have a swear jar in the conference room. You were required to contribute a quarter for every ill-conceived utterance. The collection ultimately was donated annually to a local charity and occasionally was a surprisingly large contribution.

We had a meeting scheduled that everyone knew was going to be very contentious. The company president and the VP of manufacturing were at opposite ends of a decision and the meeting was to come up with the direction that we would ultimately follow. Everyone was sitting in the room waiting for the meeting to begin with the exception of the VP of manufacturing. He finally strolled into the room about 30 seconds before the meeting was to begin. He put his notebook and pen on the table and reached for the jar. Stuffing one hand into his hip pocket he pulled out a large handful of quarters and slowly let them slide into the jar before the meeting even began.

Peerie Maa
12-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Back in the day when we had not learned to respect the feelings of those who can be offended.

We kept our half a dozen communal computer terminals in one room, where the language could get salty.

So we were asked to operate a swear box as a deterrent.

We took to it with enthusiasm, we created a scale of fines, dependant on the severity of the transgression; we put in a multiplier so that the values of a sequence of words were multiplied; yes, we sold credit. We raised so much each week that we started a sweep stake betting on how much we could raise.

The swear box was really effective. The air was still blue, but we raised hundreds for charity.

(one colleague recounted with glee that his wife had blown the entire weeks housekeeping when she bruised her hip on the corner of a table :))

Canoez
12-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Back in the day when we had not learned to respect the feelings of those who can be offended.

We kept our half a dozen communal computer terminals in one room, where the language could get salty.

So we were asked to operate a swear box as a deterrent.

We took to it with enthusiasm, we created a scale of fines, dependant on the severity of the transgression; we put in a multiplier so that the values of a sequence of words were multiplied; yes, we sold credit. We raised so much each week that we started a sweep stake betting on how much we could raise.

The swear box was really effective. The air was still blue, but we raised hundreds for charity.

(one colleague recounted with glee that his wife had blown the entire weeks housekeeping when she bruised her hip on the corner of a table :))

That. That is wonderful.

Tylerdurden
12-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Does anyone remember this is a site for sailors? Seems more like a site for knee deeps some days. :)

leikec
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm still mourning the loss of Exile Island... :D

Jeff C

Canoez
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Well, I thought it was a site for wooden boat owners, designers, builders and dreamers including sailboats, motorboats, and canoes, kayaks and the like.

Still, I'm a knee deep and darned proud of it. I double dog dare ya to follow me over the 6" shallows in that deep-drafted dual diesel. ;)