PDA

View Full Version : Ways to while away the winter dark.

Meli
12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
I just read poor Ms Spin's thread.
Brought back memories of living in a place where the sun seldom seems to rise (and when it does you're in a fluro lit building)
That was only the UK.:D

We were young enough and childless to while it away down the Village Pub :D

But I thought I'd start some suggestions going to refere to when cabin fever strikes.

My suggestion.

Start writing that children's book or finally put those 30 year old travel notes into journal form.
Good reminiscing material to talk to SWMBO with over a romantic red too (Maybe:D)

I woke up at 6am with a great plot in my head. (maybe not so great after 3 long blacks)
With the internet one can do so much research. Trouble is one gets sidetracked.

Chip-skiff
12-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Keep the fire burning bright. Light the lamps.

Take your time cooking.

Open a good book.

Chip-skiff
12-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Log on to the Wooden Boat Forum and post a bunch of political garbage. Then argue with everyone who posts on your thread.

Paul Girouard
12-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Log on to the Wooden Boat Forum and post a bunch of political garbage. Then argue with everyone who posts on your thread.

Most seem to do this while drinking heavily, makes for interesting reading at times. :D

Spin_Drift
12-04-2011, 12:33 AM
I just read poor Ms Spin's thread.
Brought back memories of living in a place where the sun seldom seems to rise (and when it does you're in a fluro lit building)
That was only the UK.:D

We were young enough and childless to while it away down the Village Pub :D

But I thought I'd start some suggestions going to refere to when cabin fever strikes.

My suggestion.

Start writing that children's book or finally put those 30 year old travel notes into journal form.
Good reminiscing material to talk to SWMBO with over a romantic red too (Maybe:D)

I woke up at 6am with a great plot in my head. (maybe not so great after 3 long blacks)
With the internet one can do so much research. Trouble is one gets sidetracked.

Good suggestions Meli...:)

We'll be in the darkest part of winter in two weeks. I don't mind it...

We get to spend a lot of time in bed...;)

Meli
12-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Good suggestions Meli...:)

We'll be in the darkest part of winter in two weeks. I don't mind it...

We get to spend a lot of time in bed...;)

Skite :D

Here's another one.
Totally makeover your shed or house.
Fix up those drafts install safe heating and start a joint project with your other half.

Get all your photo's off the memory chip and print the best for an album.

Learn to play Go

Throw away every single odd sock in your drawers.

Learn another language, with wine and cheese and the missus.

coelacanth2
12-04-2011, 11:05 PM
I have to admit I love cold weather - well, as cold as it get 'round here:D. Not quit as bad as you, Spin, but it is very dusky at 4 and full dark at 4:45. Onliest time to get anything done outdoors is just before I leave in the AM or weekends. Quiet inside projects get done though. Gotta do a bit of cleanup in the garage and barn and finally get power run out there. Then I won't have to worry about noise - although my neighbor with the stillannoyingbarkingdog just might get treated to a few MotoGuzzi tuning sessions :P.

Gerarddm
12-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Start building a 1/700 scale model of the Italian WWII battleship RN Roma.

:-)

Meli
12-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Or knit one out of steel wool :D

Paul Pless
12-05-2011, 06:47 AM
start a joint+ 1

Tylerdurden
12-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Being in the middle of a career change has put plenty of winter work ahead of me. Moving into building a small machine shop and into gunsmithing. I had to slow down a lot and the cold tears me up so its is important to keep busy while cooped up inside. Glad I have stacks of books to get through now.

Spin_Drift
12-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I knit wool socks. :)

switters
12-05-2011, 06:50 PM
go camping in your living room.

I have a bunch of camping gear from different decades and got it all set up this weekend to remind myself of what needed work and what was still good, etc. Cooked lunch on the primus stove just to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. Got the extreme cold weather bag aired out, it was getting a good funk happening at the end of hunting season. Tried out the new big agnes pad, excellent.

Turned off all the lights and tried to read by candle lantern, cant do it anymore.

remembered why I have the backpacking tent I have despite the volume and weight penalty. (I can anchor it down in a hurricane if I have to.

Next weekend will be organizing tackle boxes if it is too cold to try and heat the shop.

Hunky Dory
12-05-2011, 08:34 PM
It is 8:30 Pm I am going for a two hour row before bed as rain is forecast for the next few days.

hokiefan
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
My current plan has two parts:

1) Build a light weight double-paddle canoe in my living room.

2) Buy enough clothes to get outside for a walk at least a little bit every day. May have to be at work, since I'll be working dark to dark most days, but WTH.

I may find part 2 to be nutso, but if I go into this winter dreading it I lose. So here goes nothing :-)

Cheers,

Bobby

katey
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
My house is cleaner right now than it was when I got up this morning. It's a small victory, but I'll take it.

Paul Pless
12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
2) Buy enough clothes to get outside for a walk at least a little bit every day. May have to be at work, since I'll be working dark to dark most days, but WTH.

I may find part 2 to be nutso, but if I go into this winter dreading it I lose. So here goes nothing :-)

Cheers,

BobbyI did and continue to do the same thing after moving to Michigan. You'll find that you don't need to dress as heavily as you think at first.

Gerarddm
12-06-2011, 08:28 PM
V true Paul. Layer your clothes so you don't overheat.

hokiefan
12-06-2011, 11:13 PM
V true Paul. Layer your clothes so you don't overheat.

Thats been my MO todate. My Savannah winter coat (a lightly lined, hooded parka) and a sweatshirt have done nicely. The days recently have been 35-40 and the nights 25-30. The wannabe Carhart winter coat I bought for work is way too heavy for now. And thats a good thing!

I think the only thing I have left to invest in is a number of pairs of good socks. And maybe a scarf or two, depending on what shows up for Christmas.

Cheers,

Bobby

purri
12-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Has anyone mentioned nookie yet?

hokiefan
12-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Has anyone mentioned nookie yet?

I'm thinking thats how I got here! I was born in mid-September. My parents lived in Massena, NY at the time. You do the math. :d

Cheers,

Bobby

johnw
12-07-2011, 12:16 AM
And there's always a good mystery:
http://www.fictiondb.com/coversth/th_0445408510.jpg

purri
12-07-2011, 12:56 AM
I'm thinking thats how I got here! I was born in mid-September. My parents lived in Massena, NY at the time. You do the math. :d

Cheers,

Bobby

Xmas "cheer" eh?

BTW I was born in March sthn hemi (you do the maths)

hokiefan
12-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Xmas "cheer" eh?

For me, I back into mid-January. Was just thinking, and my sister was born 2 years and 5 weeks later, Mid-October. That means mid-to-late February. Still colder than three hells in way Upstate NY. :D

Cheers,

Bobby

purri
12-07-2011, 03:08 AM
^Nuffin like the "home entertainment centre"...

seanz
12-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Xmas "cheer" eh?

Yep. '67 must have been a really cold Winter, the local hospital was overflowing with babies.
:)

Exercise in Winter is important and so is getting some light. We're lucky here, the Winter days are usually crisp, frosty and with a bright blue sky.

switters
12-07-2011, 10:57 AM
My current plan has two parts:

1) Build a light weight double-paddle canoe in my living room.

Cheers,

Bobby

Excellent ideas both. I will be spar varnishing a small skiff in the living room over the holidays.