PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Viewers Less Informed Than Those Who Donít Watch Any News

John of Phoenix
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Survey: Fox News Viewers Less Informed Than Those Who Donít Watch Any News
A new survey from Fairleigh Dickinson University has found that viewers of Fox News are less informed about world events than people who do not watch any news. The study found viewers of Fox are 18 points less likely to know that Egyptians overthrew their government six points less likely to know that Syrians have not yet overthrown their government compared to those who watch no news. Fairleigh Dickinson political science Professor Dan Cassino said, "The results show us that there is something about watching Fox News that leads people to do worse on these questions than those who donít watch any news at all."

++++++++++++

If you are frustrated about the dumbing down of America... suspicions confirmed.

ccmanuals
12-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Shocking. :D

S.V. Airlie
12-01-2011, 05:13 PM
The Garden State lol. Some nice parts od New Jersey granted and over shadowed by Hoboken. etc...

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
12-01-2011, 06:49 PM
The kicker is that MSNBC didnít do all that much better. In one question, some 11% of MSNBC viewers actually believed that Occupy Wall Street (http://www.forbes.com/wall-street/) protesters were Republicans compared to just 3% of Fox viewers.

Interesting. It seems there are between 11 and 3 percent of the population who are either terribly ignorant, or borderline retarded. I'd better get my grant writers working on some funding to study this totally unexpected phenomenon.

MiddleAgesMan
12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't trust anyone who believes in poles.

Ian McColgin
12-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Oh, I believe in poles. There are several holding up the shop I use, other poles horizontally hold my cloths hangers in the closet, and other poles are at the ends of my compasses.

I also like scratching a horse on the poll, right between the ears. I sometimes read of slanted polls and push polls and such, that vie every political season with good scientific polling. Those polls record or measure opinions, usually for or against, something or someone. Polls are of no use in measuring knowledge, but certain sorts of survey tests, such as what Farleigh Dickenson did, are.

Chip-skiff
12-01-2011, 08:04 PM
No troubles with Poles. One of my good old mates is named Mionczynski.

But I wonder how many of those who don't watch TV news tend to read publications such as the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Guardian, the Economist, or even Newsweek and Time. I'd imagine those who take the trouble to get publications and read them would be far better informed than the average TV news viewer.

Gerarddm
12-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Internet knows all, tells all.