PDA

View Full Version : Mildew on varnished plywood bulkheads

tomk
11-30-2011, 09:44 AM
I am restoring a Rob Roy 23 which sat for a long time in the sun under a leaking tarp. The inside was a mildew jungle. I've been pretty successful cleaning most of it with a scrubby and Simple Green but the varnished teak veneer bulkheads are still very dark from the mildew. I assume this means the varnish has a porous surface? I would like to bring the bulkheads back to their light finish but am afraid of penetrating the veneer if I strip the varnish and sand it. Is there a penetrating cleanser on the market that will take out this dark stain from the varnish?

lesharo
11-30-2011, 02:45 PM
A really easy solution; bleach. You could start with one part bleach to two water if you want or go to one part bleach to one part water or you could go right to straight bleach. Wipe it on with something, e.g. a rag. If you're careful, you can get by without gloves, but you'd be much better off with them. Sometimes it works almost instantly, in bad cases it might take a while; you'll see. Rinse wipe it after you get the results you need. Getting rid of mildew only gets problematic when it's on something that bleach will damage, like fabric. Then you have to try something else, like a colorfast bleach and soaking. Spraying doesn't work too well, it gets in the air and you breathe it and you almost die. I know; I was that stupid, but hey...I learned. And P.S. do not under any circumstances mix bleach and ammonia. In a small room, you'd be dead in no time.

Pericles
12-02-2011, 11:17 AM
I used 30% hydrogen peroxide to lighten a black stained oak dresser.

http://www.antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/using_wood_bleach.htm