PDA

View Full Version : Horses

David W Pratt
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Evidently the Feds are going to resume slaughtering feral horses out west.
Evidently ranchers think there are too many and PETA, et al. think they should be left alone.

SMARTINSEN
11-29-2011, 01:21 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?140100-this-one-ought-to-have-some-interesting-consequences

David W Pratt
11-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I thought I vaguely remembered something like that.
Will eating horse meat make people allergic to vaccines raised in horses?

S.V. Airlie
11-30-2011, 08:49 AM
These are feral horses...Vaccines and the like probably are not given to them. Direct to the slaughter house via n auction..

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
11-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Wild horses are not sold directly to slaughterhouses. In fact the rules the BLM has put in place make slaughter of wild horses unprofitable.

When a person buys a horse or burro from the BLM auction the animal will have a brand on it's neck. It will also be sold with a certificate of adoption. The buyer must agree to keep the horse for one year before they receive papers granting full ownership rights, and are then allowed to sell it. Technically they are adopting a horse, not buying one. The adoption process involves other restrictions, but the one year hold is the the one relevant to this topic. Slaughterhouses are prohibited by law from buying or butchering a horse with a BLM brand that doesn't have the proper paperwork. AFAIK adoptions are limited to one or two animals per person, mass adoptions by corporate entities don't happen.

Long story short; nobody's buying horses at auction, getting their facilities approved, paying filing fees, and feeding them for one year just to turn around and sell them to a slaughterhouse for 250 bucks. ConAgra and Tyson aren't buying them by the hundreds either.

Chip-skiff
12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Thought I read that the last slaughterhouse in the US that would handle horses closed up.

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
12-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Wasn't that after the federal ban? It can't be very profitable to process just for dog food.

purri
12-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Export them to France.

Meli
12-01-2011, 02:03 AM
I would have thought that like our Brumbies, they'd be full of parasites and disease.
Humane culling is a kindness.

ramillett
12-01-2011, 03:19 AM
Back in the early 70's I had an otter that we fed horse meat to . If I remember right we use to get it at the market , I'm assuming because it was cheep . I'm not sure if people ate it , it was probably for dogs . I remember my sister-in-law was pissed that we used horse meat , she was into the save the mustang group at that time .

S.V. Airlie
12-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Iguess there are some changes in BLM since 97..Can not find a google about elinimating the process. Must be there if some here think there are none (slaughter houses left.. Will keep looking

Frm BLM..

http://www.igha.org/BLM3.html

Bobcat
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I remember eating horse meat in the 60's. You could buy it for less than beef. I suspect it's a hard meat to market because of the name. Other meats have name that do not identify the animal from which it came: Pork, not "pig meat," beef not "cow meat," venison, not "deer meat," and so on.