PDA

View Full Version : Excellent synopsis

Anthony Zucker
11-29-2011, 05:31 AM
Roger Cohen's editorials always pull many strings together and help us understand what's going on.

Here is his effort for today;

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/opinion/cohen-doctrine-of-silence.html?_r=1&src=rechp

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Yes, excellent.

Here is one response to some of the problems that this throws up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00729d9

LeeG
11-29-2011, 07:10 AM
The NYT article raises good points but I wonder if Israeli and US actions are as coordinated or in concert as Cohen implies.

skuthorp
11-29-2011, 07:24 AM
I will look forward to listening to those ACB, Mz Manningham-Buller has been on radio here recently as well, quite a woman. As far as the tactic is concerned, using your tech. advantage to bring asymetrical warfare to those already using a less sophisticated version has a certain irony quite apart from the legalities. But then Obama would not be the only recent Pres. that stretched that particular principle eh?

TomF
11-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Lee, I understand your doubts - US/Israeli relations are after all at historic lows right now.

It appears to me that in foreign policy, Obama's a pragmatist. I think he's found a way to work around the personal antipathy between himself and the Israeli PM; officials, after all, will have had longstanding relationships which will still function, regardless of the public dislikes of their masters.

I think Cohen's piece has it right, and Obama's opted to go underground. One is tempted to say that he's opting for effectiveness rather than self-aggrandizement ... but frankly, there is much to be said for the deterrent effect of making a large public display (as Bush did), provided that the display is effective. I think Obama's observing the lessons which ought to have been drilled home since the time of VietNam, that insurgencies cannot be well fought by big armies. And that the goals for fighting an insurgency must be appropriately framed and scaled.

I'm all for fighting terrorists, rather than fighting terror. I have grave troubles with the extra-judicial nature of this shift ... but in making such a shift Obama's put himself well inside the conventional "realist" schools of foreign policy, exemplified by people like Churchill, Morgenthau, Carr, Kissinger ... and Machiaveilli.

Dutch
11-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Foreign policy has been Obama’s strongest suit. He deserves great credit for killing Osama bin Laden, acting for the liberation of Libya, getting behind the Arab quest for freedom, winding down the war in Iraq, dealing repeated blows to Al Qaeda and restoring America’s battered image.

what a total crock of crap-

Glen Longino
11-29-2011, 09:08 AM
what a total crock of crap-

Heheh!:)
Can't handle the truth, Dutch?