PDA

View Full Version : 2 PC's-one landline, one WiFi-How to get WiFi signal better& Battery advice??

skipper68
11-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Any help-Tequila bottles don't work ;). I have the Netgear USB, and ordered a 10ft extension for the USB. The WiFi is so slow, yellow it says. I'm stuck on contract for dialup till April. My thought is-get a Straight talk phone, unlimited, and use that for the WiFi-any other thoughts? Yes, it works FAST, with a good WiFi signal. Battery came in, and I installed it also. Should it be drained like a new phone battery also? Any advice welcome. Thank you:D

htom
11-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Neighbor with cable/DSL/sat who will let you leach from them?

skipper68
11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
No, I'm in the marina and the linksy is barely coming in. Hoping to run the 10ft up to the flying bridge for better signal.Summer, it's here, and I told the marina owner it's a deduction to offer WiFi. Looking like my 2 net books are going to be a landlocked, and the other for travel. The WiFi lets me see video's and has a CD burner, along with other options the dialup one lost. Just the HD screen is a dream! Might move into McDonalds! :D The signal is there, just cant get it stronger so far.

AndyG
11-28-2011, 08:00 PM
If the battery's a typical laptop LiPo one, be very careful about flattening it too much. If it drops much below its minimum rated voltage, you will kill it...I'd just plug it in and let it work.

As to reception problems:

1/ Do you have admin rights to the router? If so, try setting it to different channels. You might find (I did, in my home set-up) a neighbour's router causing me reception issues due to their use of the same channel.

2/ Is there anything solid between you and the router? Can you avoid it?

3/ Raising the aerial should help.

Andy

Durnik
11-28-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure what you have.. or what you are trying to do, but this might help.

I took a wilson signal booster (http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/) & put the outdoor antenna at the focal point of an old, 1 1/2' satellite dish antenna (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lOLJ4K0_BSM/TofJZV0MlaI/AAAAAAAAAxY/vK1CXBteLHg/s576/dish.jpg) aimed towards the far away tower. This feeds a MIFI card (like the Straight Talk do-hickey).

You can also do this with a Wireless receiver for a distant linksys type router. Just get a usb dongle wifi unit (Netgear USB is good) & a long usb cable pluged into your local system. Put the usb dongle at the focal point of the dish & aim the dish at the remote linksys/wireless unit.

I've not tried that usb trick, but I've seen reports on the web of people who have & like it.

If this is no help, sorry for my misunderstanding.

enjoy
bobby

skipper68
11-28-2011, 08:46 PM
GREAT! I have a unused DTV dish,(for local) sitting around-read this could be made into an antenna for my Netgear USB... round 100ft away. Maybe get another USB cable with an amplifier to connect them. :D E How has instructions. We are surrounded with metal buildings and such...There IS hope! Thanks! NOW, the question is- I have never had a working PC battery. I charged it, after putting it in.(A REAL Portable!) It said 1 hour. I have the icon that tells the time left. Should I drain it, to train it? Should I conserve the energy, and pamper it? It's a HP-I looked it up, and saw RECALL!How long use, and stand buy should I expect? Thanks :)

Durnik
11-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Rechargeable batteries have way too many variables.. Use & Standby are device/use dependent.. Screen blank uses less juice than active viewing & hibernation, even less. Usually, tho 1 to 2 hours active is what a low end system will get. Recharge when needed, or keep topped off - your choice. Most new batteries are li-ion & have no real 'memory' & therefore need no 'training'. One thing about li-ion that's different than ni-cad.. While ni-cad loses voltage gradually, li-ion will show a good charge, then - boom! Empty! & it's recharge time. Not to worry, it's just the nature of the beast, so to speak.

good luck
bobby

AndyG
11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
It's a HP-I looked it up, and saw RECALL!

Clear this up for me: has the battery has been recalled by the manufacturer? Do they say why?

I would be strongly against using a recalled battery - or leaving it in the laptop at all. Or being near it. Or leaving it near stuff you wish to keep. When batteries go bad they can burn. As in "extremely".

Andy

skipper68
11-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks- this is the new one. "WHEW" My question was, training one. Never had a portable netbook- living in the "90"s still/google said it.(roll eyes)Shrug..:D

AndyG
11-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Training a battery? These days you needn't bother. Just let the laptop monitor the status and plug into the mains as necessary.

I wouldn't leave any laptop plugged in 24/7. (I've seen one burn and it made a mess. Mind you, I've seen 99+ not burn...)

Don't let a modern LiPo/Li-Ion battery go totally flat (worst case - it'll not work anymore) and don't overcharge it (worst case - it'll explode).

There'll be a note on the battery regarding what type it is (NiMh, Nicad, LiPo, etc.) - Google that for battery advice.

Andy

skipper68
11-30-2011, 09:41 PM
If, I get he Linksy signal, is it stealing? I would rather pay, but I really need unlimited. Cant keep up with the Riff Raff here- Roll Eyes..;)

skipper68
11-30-2011, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE]I wouldn't leave any laptop plugged in 24/7. (I've seen one burn and it made a mess. Mind you, I've seen 99+ not burn...) [/QUOTE UGHHH ]One I am still on-Feb, 2010. Should I be concerned? Explains a LOT! :) We do blow it, with the compressor...For For Sale-Bla Bla Bla!(NOT SCOT!)FB, was hit today, and this went off like Fort Knox... I set it to NO BOOBIES-just saying.Shut off FB, shut the PC down, Avast! sent a update, and MS sent an emergency update.FB is on Anonymous hit list.Told ya....

Dave Wright
11-30-2011, 11:53 PM
If, I get he Linksy signal, is it stealing? I would rather pay, but I really need unlimited. Cant keep up with the Riff Raff here- Roll Eyes..;)

That's a common router brand: "Linksys." If the owner didn't password protect it you'll have access. Either he doesn't know, or doesn't care about protection. There's no way to know his intentions. You're not stealing; your equipment is simply detecting a signal that someone is sending your way. You didn't ask to be bombarded with electromagnetic waves:)

skipper68
12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm being bombarded with electromagnetic waves!? Thank you- don't want to be wrong. OTOH, If they are in my body, I own them, right? So, I'm just a big battery, against my will. ;) Not sure how to take that. I wear much gold jewelry- am I a conductor ? :D Can I make them rent my gold??? LOL!

purri
12-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Slightly OT, I was away for a week, came back, checked the MacBook Pro and the underside panel containing the CPU? has expanded and popped out of the frame. Wassup? (was turned off and not exposed to direct sunlight)

Tylerdurden
12-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Boosting wi-fi is easy with a homemade antenna. I like the coffee can but being on a boat you would have issues being too directional. Some blank pc board and 14 gauge solid wire you can do something like this
http://technetz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/homemade-wifi-antenna-7.jpg

Works very well as its not always low signal strength but other signals and harmonics that cause issues. This will reject anything behind it. I have found the front end on most wi-fi boxes have serious problems with rejection of unwanted signals.

skipper68
12-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Slightly OT, I was away for a week, came back, checked the MacBook Pro and the underside panel containing the CPU? has expanded and popped out of the frame. Wassup? (was turned off and not exposed to direct sunlight)
Thanks for the advice TD. purri, this sight looked interesting, for your MAC. http://mybiggestcomplaint.com/macbook-pro-warped-and-buckling/934/

purri
12-02-2011, 02:52 AM
^ Yaama wadjiin,

Ta muchly. I think I'll be at the Macwank megastore to resolve the issue with my "conflict resolution tool" aka bundi (traditional Aboriginal wooden war club).

BTW the casing is now abt 1/2 inch above the frame.

Curtism
12-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Bump ;)

skipper68
12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
OMG! ya dang kids! OK, I cant get more than 3 yellow bars on the WiFi, but, I found this, as I'm not sure how to make TD's antenna. This has 8 antenna's, and I WONT win the bid- just wondering, for at the dock. Thoughts? NETGEAR "N" SPEED REPEATER/WIFI BOOSTER!

8 INTERNAL ANTENNA'S!

This repeater is a stand alone super high powered booster/repeater. Just plug in within range of any open wireless signal, or have it connect to your own secure router by imputing your security code. It does not need to be connected to a LAN cable, just power it up! It will automatically connect and then re-broadcast that weaker signal into a super strong one! If you have a weak spot far away from your router, this is the perfect device to "boost" that signal!

AND THIS IS "N" SPEED!! OOOOHHHH, me want!

The Bigfella
12-02-2011, 09:48 PM
C'mon... we all know what his antenna really looks like

http://markc1.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451bb2969e20120a545ddc8970c-800wi

purri
12-02-2011, 10:10 PM
C'mon... we all know what his antenna really looks like

http://markc1.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451bb2969e20120a545ddc8970c-800wi

Have you received them yet?

skipper68
12-02-2011, 10:21 PM
ROTFLMAO!!! Problem is, I have to get to the top of the Maple tree to make it work! Can I get a mini, and have the cat run up FAST? :D

skipper68
12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Netgear hi power "n" wifi dd-wrt wireless repeater extender booster slingbox, then I add Brand New Certified ANSI CE Professional Multifunction Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet+Grinding. I'll put a USB port in it. should work...:D :D ;)
Honey, can you weld this for me? I need to check my email

Curtism
12-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Not sure if this has been suggested yet, and I have no idea if it would help, but any hombre who knows how to use a welding helmet ot to be able to cobble one together for his Honey.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html (http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html)

It's made out of a tin can and some fittings.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/images/nalleyscanbig.jpg

(http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html)

Tylerdurden
12-03-2011, 06:43 AM
The can antennas are highly directional. Great if your on a fixed location but on a boat subject to severe fading. I would think on a boat you would want some directivity in order to cancel out or null some signals unless you were on a mooring, then you would want an omnidirectional antenna. On Marla I was on a mooring over a half mile from the Wi-fi. I used a Omni Antenna then because in Maine there are not to many competing signals in the harbor. Being at the dock one can be more directional but the lobes need to be very wide to accept some movement of the boat. The flat antenna I showed would cover that while still giving some adjacent signal rejection. I used to sail out of Skippers berth so I know it is a area loaded with siginals and there are three paging towers nearby pooping different harmonics all over the place. Very bad clean signal environment. If the Dock Master is flexible it would be easy to mount a directional antenna on the dock such as the can antenna and run a coax back to the Wi-fi gear also. In that situation it would be perfect.

Tylerdurden
12-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Netgear hi power "n" wifi dd-wrt wireless repeater extender booster slingbox, then I add Brand New Certified ANSI CE Professional Multifunction Solar Powered Auto Darkening Welding Helmet+Grinding. I'll put a USB port in it. should work...:D :D ;)

Adding a repeater is only creating more mess. It may work but far cheaper to go with a good antenna. Radio is 99% antenna. Keep it simple.