PDA

View Full Version : I've finally found a good ginger beer recipe

PeterSibley
11-27-2011, 11:18 PM
It's really good, really fast to make too. So for anyone who is interested .I use 1.25 l PET bottles, that's about 1.3 quarts .

Pour 5/8 of a cup of sugar into the bottle .
Add 1/4 teaspoon of dry yeast to the bottle .
Add 2 tablespoons of grated ginger and the juice of 1/2 a lemon .
Fill the bottle 3/4 with warm ( not hot )water .Shake to dissolve the sugar and mix the contents .

Fill to within 2 inches of the top .
Keep in a warm pace for 24 to 48 hours .
Refrigerate when the bottles are hard .
It takes 20 minutes to make although I usually make 4 bottles at a time .

It's delicious ! BY:D

Durnik
11-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Cool!, thanks

I make 2 L of 'sun' tea daily.. but I's loves Ginger Brew.. Going to have to try some. I might try to minimize the ethanol, tho.. ;-) 4 bottles at a time? How long does that last you?

enjoy
bobby

Spin_Drift
11-28-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks Peter.

Husband mentioned a few days ago that he'd like me to make ginger beer. Going to try your great sounding recipe, and make a "vat" full by multiplying it by "few"....

I use 750ml glass bottles so I'll add a few raisins into bottles. They rise to the top when it's ready to drink.

:)

Yeadon
11-28-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm interested and confused. Does this have alcohol in it?

seanz
11-28-2011, 12:33 AM

No, but it's the base of a Dark & Stormy.

Hang on, aren't you the bloke that knows everything?

PeterSibley
11-28-2011, 12:35 AM

I doesn't seem to have but I haven't tested it, it's just very flavoursome ! I don't think it brews long enough to make any alcohol .

PeterSibley
11-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Beware the glass ! The PET bottle goes very hard .PET bottles are one of the reasons I've started making it again after earlier glass contained (or not ) experiments .:rolleyes:

Thanks Peter.

Husband mentioned a few days ago that he'd like me to make ginger beer. Going to try your great sounding recipe, and make a "vat" full by multiplying it by "few"....

I use 750ml glass bottles so I'll add a few raisins into bottles. They rise to the top when it's ready to drink.

PeterSibley
11-28-2011, 12:39 AM
4 days if the kids are at school ,a lot less if they are home .:D

Cool!, thanks

I make 2 L of 'sun' tea daily.. but I's loves Ginger Brew.. Going to have to try some. I might try to minimize the ethanol, tho.. ;-) 4 bottles at a time? How long does that last you?

enjoy
bobby

Yeadon
11-28-2011, 12:40 AM
No, but it's the base of a Dark & Stormy.

Hang on, aren't you the bloke that knows everything?

I only know stuff because I ask lots of questions. And I think I want to make this stuff.

Michael Beckman
11-28-2011, 12:49 AM
I made it with a very similar recipe a few years ago. Works great. I recently bought a sodastream carbonator though, which is much faster. Going to try to make my own ginger beer syrup soon.

PeterSibley
11-28-2011, 01:02 AM
I forgot to mention you will have to strain as you pour, there is lots of floating ginger in the brew .

htom
11-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Ginger bits could be a plus. Yes, it will make alcohol. Not much, but some.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-28-2011, 02:24 AM

YES - Sugar in aqueous solution + yeast gives alcohol and carbon dioxide.
Sometimes its the alcohol you want - Beer for instance
Othertimes its the CO2 - like rising in bread or fizzy in ginger beer.

Keep in a warm pace for 24 to 48 hours .
Refrigerate when the bottles are hard .

The warning is that this is a "Stopped Fermentation" - if you remove the bottles from the fridge they become interesting and potentially VERY MESSY small bombs.

Bobby of Tulsa
11-28-2011, 04:16 AM
If you use glass bottles, make sure they are for carbonated drinks. The others will explode. Glass goes everywhere, damhikt.

Mrleft8
11-28-2011, 09:42 AM
I make ginger beer occasionally. I have a good "dirty" recipe, which is similar to Peter's in the OP... The other uses concentrated ginger extract. The last time I made it was for the WBS EBS a year and a half ago. The first bottle ended up all over the kitchen ceiling, wall, cabinets, fridge (inside and out), and floor. Carter was not amused. We put warning labels on the rest of the bottles to open s l o w l y....And outside. Out of 8 liters I made, one ended up as kitchen decoration, and most of one was found in a potted palm after the EBS.
The problem I have found with using the fresh grated ginger method is that it doesn't keep well, even in the fridge. Goes flat after a week.

Canoez
11-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I make ginger beer occasionally. I have a good "dirty" recipe, which is similar to Peter's in the OP... The other uses concentrated ginger extract. The last time I made it was for the WBS EBS a year and a half ago. The first bottle ended up all over the kitchen ceiling, wall, cabinets, fridge (inside and out), and floor. Carter was not amused. We put warning labels on the rest of the bottles to open s l o w l y....And outside. Out of 8 liters I made, one ended up as kitchen decoration, and most of one was found in a potted palm after the EBS.
The problem I have found with using the fresh grated ginger method is that it doesn't keep well, even in the fridge. Goes flat after a week.

Ahh, but was good while it lasted! After that EBS we went home and bought a bottle of the Ron Zacapa (thanks again, Chuck) and some limes. MMMmm...

Tylerdurden
11-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks Peter. I saved that one.

Durnik
11-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I only know stuff because I ask lots of questions.

;-)

Goes flat after a week.

Ah, there's some useful info..

4 days if the kids are at school, a lot less if they are home .:D

which Peter may have not yet discovered.. ;-)

enjoy
bobby

Nicholas Carey
11-28-2011, 08:04 PM
I just order Blenheim's Ginger Ale. The family's been making it the same way for more than century now. Nobody ever told them they were obsolete.

http://www.blenheimgingerale.com/

If you like with a real kick, order up the Blenheim #3 (red cap). It'll open up your sinuses and leave you gasping. Otherwise the #5 (gold cap) is what you want. Spicy, but not too much. About like Vernor's used to be before it got turned into corporate pablum.

For a real treat, seek out Fentiman's Ginger Beer, botanically brewed (with yeast) since 1905.

http://www.drinkfentimans.com/ (North America)
http://www.fentimans.com/ (UK Mother Ship)
Ingredients:

Fermented Ginger Root Extract (Water/Ginger Root Extract/Wort Syrup/ Yeast)
Carbonated Water
Sugar
Glucose Syrup
Natural flavours: Ginger / Capsicum / Lemon / Speedwell / Juniper / Yarrow extracts
Pear Juice concentrate
Cream of Tartar
Citric Acid
This is what I like, though:

Barkshack Ginger Mead
From The Complete Joy of Home Brewing, by Charlie Papazian

1-1/2 gallons water
7 lbs light honey
1-1/2 lbs corn sugar
1-6 oz grated fresh ginger
1 tsp gypsum
1 tsp citric acid
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp Irish Moss, powdered
1 oz champagne yeast
3/4 c. corn sugar (for bottling)
Optional:

1-6 lbs crushed fresh fruit of choice (optional)
Sour cherries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, cranberries, chokecherries, etc. all work well.
3 oz lemongrass or other herb/spice flavorings. (optional)
Go easy on the powerful stuff, though, Tex. A little cloves, cinnamon, mint, hops, etc. goes a long, long way.) Citrus zest is always nice, too.
Original Gravity: 1.060 - 1.066
Final Gravity: 0.992 - 0.996

[This is pretty powerful stuff: the alcohol content runs about 7%+ by weight and 9%+ by volume

Boil the water, honey, corn sugar, ginger, gypsum, citric acid, Irish moss and yeast nutrient for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.

If you're going to add fresh fruit, you might want to use a strainer to fish as much of the ginger root out of the wort as you can, but don't sweat it. Add the crushed fruit to the hot wort and let it steep for 15 minutes.

Pour the unsparged wort, fruit and all, into your primary fermenter, add c. 3 gallons of cold water (enough to bring the total volume up to 5 gallons).

Let it cool and pitch the yeast when the temperature of the wort drops to c. 70-78 deg F.

When the specific gravity falls to 1.020, or in 7 days, rack your brew into the secondary fermenter. If you used fruit, use a sanitized strainer to strain out the fruit.

Let it age in the secondary fermenter for 1 - 1-1/2 months. [I let it ferment down 'til it's pretty much still.]

Prime the finished brew with 3/4 c. of corn sugar.

If you're using the optional secret mixture of herbs and spices, infuse the herb/spice mixture in boiling water, strain the infusion and add it to the finished product.

Note: You might want to add the infusion halfway through the bottling process, so as to make both an spiced and non-spiced version.

After it's bottled, put it down to age for a minimum of 6 months. A year of more is better. Good things come to those who wait.

Mrleft8
11-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Gypsum?

Nicholas Carey
11-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Gypsum?

http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/FileCabinet/BrewersGypsum_PI.pdf

BREWERS’ GYPSUM is hydrated calcium sulfate used to correct mineral deficiencies in water which is to be used for brewing. It is used in de-mineralized or soft to medium hard water to increase permanent hardness. Used as directed, BREWERS’ GYPSUM is effective in eliminating the variations in composition often encountered in water from surface sources. It will help establish proper pH of the mash and the wort and provide sufficient calcium ions essential for enzyme function, kettle protein coagulation and yeast metabolism.

Mrleft8
11-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Ah!...
I was envisioning dunking a piece of sheetrock in the wort.....:D

C. Ross
11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks Peter! I like a really "spicy" ginger beer rather than the wimpy commercial kind. How does this one rate?

PeterSibley
11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
For a quickly made ginger beer that is largely non alcoholic it has a nice little bite |:)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Ah!...
I was envisioning dunking a piece of sheetrock in the wort.....:D

Chemically the same stuff - but you might want to peel the paper off.

Spin_Drift
11-29-2011, 03:42 AM
Please tell, what is a PET bottle? Where do you get them?

Wouldn't want a bottle to brake and make a mess.

I've made a Finnish drink called Sima several times. It's yummy and quite bubbly when I open the bottle. I've always bottled it into glass bottles. Never had any break though they had a lot of pressure inside the bottles and bubbles fizzes in the glass after you poured it.

I can translate the recipe if anyone wants to try and make it. It's simple and tasty.

seanz
11-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Please tell, what is a PET bottle? Where do you get them?

Plastic soft-drink-bottle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PET_bottle_recycling

The first (i think) recyclable plastic bottle.

PeterSibley
11-29-2011, 05:30 AM
They have the capacity to swell a bit more than glass Spin , which is why I like them. The last batch was hard in the bottles in 24 hours but it's been about 32 C here .

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-29-2011, 05:59 AM
Thanks, Peter.

I've got quite a few French lemonade bottles with the sort of cap that clips down onto a rubber seal - I'll try with those.

PeterSibley
11-29-2011, 06:12 AM
Good Luck Andrew , I have seen 12 of those hard rubber capped lemonade bottles in shards !

Thanks, Peter.

I've got quite a few French lemonade bottles with the sort of cap that clips down onto a rubber seal - I'll try with those.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Oh...

PET bottles it is, then...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-29-2011, 06:47 AM
No 2 son is a ginger beer addict.

Paul Pless
11-29-2011, 10:19 AM

That was the best spicy ginger beer I've had.

spirit
11-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Anyone wishing to ferment sugar to make alcohol (and/or carbon dioxide for bubbles in ginger beer) needs some understanding of what is happening.
A good place to start is the chart for American readers in http://www.home-winemaking.com/winemaking-2b.html

The table gives the relationship between the amount of sugar in water and the potential concentration of alcohol produced. Essentially, half the weight of table sugar (sucrose) becomes alcohol. Wines are typically made from about 20% sucrose, and have about 10% alcohol, whereas commercial beers start with about 8% sucrose and have about 4% alcohol.

Let's guess that Peter Sibley, who started this thread, has about half a cup of table sugar (3.5 oz) in a quart of water. With full fermentation, that would yield very roughly 5% alcohol, a strongish beer, not just bubbles. He doesn't let the fermentation finish, or the bottle would blow.

This is a dangerous way to produce beer! The home pros ferment their beers to completion (until almost all of the yeast settles), siphon off the liquid from the yeast ("rack") into another vessel, add perhaps 1/2 oz more sugar per gallon, and then bottle the product in strong bottles. A secondary fermentation then gives the desired bubbles, with much less risk of explosion, and much less cloudy yeast in the beer.

Stiletto
11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
I have just made 7.5 litres of this and am looking forward to tasting it.

I only had one lemon so used tamarind paste as a substitute. We shall see how that goes!

PeterSibley
11-30-2011, 04:20 PM
I have just made 7.5 litres of this and am looking forward to tasting it.

I only had one lemon so used tamarind paste as a substitute. We shall see how that goes!

Feedback required ! Keep it warm ...say 27 C

Stiletto
12-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I took your advice about keeping it warm and put it in the hot water cylinder cupboard overnight. I Squeezed some of the air out of the bottles before tightening the caps, and this morning they were all as hard as bricks!

I put a bottle in the fridge first thing this morning and at 10am Had a drink poured through a tea strainer.

Drumroll~~~~~~ delicious!

Thanks Peter, the short time lapse between making and drinking sure beats my old recipe of a 'bug' that took six days to brew and then at least another week in the bottle.

PeterSibley
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Great ! Y>

I bought 2 more bottle of sodawater yesterday ...I'll pour it down the drain .I need more bottles !

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-01-2011, 04:34 PM
This is a dangerous way to produce beer! The home pros ferment their beers to completion (until almost all of the yeast settles), siphon off the liquid from the yeast ("rack") into another vessel, add perhaps 1/2 oz more sugar per gallon, and then bottle the product in strong bottles. A secondary fermentation then gives the desired bubbles, with much less risk of explosion, and much less cloudy yeast in the beer.

Which is fine if you want a relatively "dry" drink - If you want a sweet fizzy drink then its a trickier business - 14% ABV and a very long wait - or artificial sweetners.