PDA

View Full Version : And through the dark and stormy days

cs
11-27-2011, 06:55 PM
we look forward to a brighter future.

It is amazing the damage that one person can do to a college football program and how long it takes to recover from it.

In case you don't know I'm referring o Lane Kiffin and the TN football program. Kiffin came into to TN on the heals of the Fulmer era and brought with him a bright promise for the future and then after one season he jumped ship and headed out to sunny California, leaving the TN program in shambles costing TN almost the entire recruiting class of 2009. In hindsight, with all the NCAA violations that landed in Kiffin's lap after his departure, this was probably for the best, because if not then TN would have been handed some stiff pennalites. But he did leave the TN football program devastated.

After Kiffin's departure though they did bring in the best promise for the future of TN Football in Derik Dooly, although he has not had an easy row to how. With so much damage and the loss of most of the 2009 recruiting class, Dooly has been forced to start over 32 true freshmen in the last two years and that is not even counting the red shirt freshmen. I heard Payton Manning say one time that the last thing you build on a football team is depth, and after this year it was obvious that TN lacked depth and senior leadership.

This season has been a tough one for the TN Volunteers. TN has had the second toughest schedule in FBS. If you look at Week 13's BCS rankings you will see LSU at #1, Alabama #2 and Arkansas at #3. In addition you will also see South Carolina in the #12 position and Georgia in the 13th. The one thing these teams have in common, besides the SEC, is that they all played (and beat) TN this season and in addition we had to play them all (with the exception of Georgia) without our starting Quarterback (Tyler Bray). In fact several of those games we started a true freshman at Quarterback (BTW welcome to the SEC Justin Worley). On top of that our star wide receiver, Justin Hunter, who has been described as "most exciting and explosive players in college football" was lost to us for the entire season in the Florida game.

Yup, been a tough season in TN, but it is over and I am looking forward to next year. With two years of starting freshmen and hopefully a good recruiting class, TN will have the depth problem fixed and our guys will have earned their scars. Hopefully after the loss to Kentucky (killed any chance of a bowl game) they will come out hungry and take the SEC by storm next year. Tyler Bray will be a Junior next year and Justin Hunter should be back and their should be plenty of battle hardened veterans on the TN roster.

I will go ahead and make the prediction that TN will win the SEC East next year. For you guys that are counting, go ahead and mark that down so you can reminded me of it this time next year.

Chad

Paul Pless
11-27-2011, 07:47 PM
After the way UT ****canned Majors, I think any ill that they reap is well deserved.

David W Pratt
11-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I can't wait to hear another coach tell us athletics build character.