PDA

View Full Version : National Anthems and patriotic songs (not to usurp the Star Spangled Banner thread)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Wikipedia saith that the oldest national anthem is either the Kimigayo (Japan, 9th century, but no tune before the 19th century) or Het Wilhelmus (Holland. 1574)

Het Wilhelmus is a song which protests loyalty to the King of Spain whilst fighting him; it is an insurrectionary song

God Save the Queen is in origin a warlike song; it was sung in London taverns in 1745 as an expression of support for George II during the Young Pretender's advance on London -i.e. it was a song sung by the Whigs who supported the Glorious Revolution of 1688 against the old regime.

The Marseillaise is in origin a warlike song. It was first sung during a revolution.

So is The Star Spangled Banner, but it was composed and sung during a second war against the former regime.
The Deutschlandlied was a revolutionary song sung during the 1848 revolutions in Germany.

The Russian national anthem was composed and sung during the Great Patriotic War aka WW2.

A favourite of mine. Bayan Magiliw, was composed and sung during the Philippine Revolution.

The Chinese national anthem, the March of the Volunteers, began life as a film score in Shanghai in 1934, was sung on the Long March and was adopted as the National Anthem in 1949; however during the Cultural revolution it was deemed incorrect and The East is Red was used instead (you never hear that now!)

I think we may have a pattern here...

skuthorp
11-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Song Of Australia, sung by Peter Dawson and Malcolm McKechran.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FfQ8x-Wv8w
This was always a better song than the dirge we picked, and then had to edit to remove the more jingoistic and racially offensive bits.

Meli
11-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Maybe in these Nihilistic times we should adopt new anthems.

This one is pretty appropriate for us lot.

Every F@#$#%$ City
Paul Kelly
We argued on the channel train to Paris
The vin rouge helped us make it sweet again
But by the time that we got down to Lyon
Everything I said was wrong and you cursed me in the rain
We split up for a while in Barcelona
We met up six days later in Madrid
I was hoping that the break would make things go a little better for us
And for a little while it almost did
Now I'm in a bar in Copenhagen
And i'm trying hard to forget your name
And I'm staring at the label on a bottle of cerveza
And every %$#$@#% city feels the same
You said to call you when I got to London
A French girl told me that you'd left a note
I said to her "I like your accent" and she thought I sounded funny
So we ended up drinking in Soho
Foolishly I followed you to Dublin
Like a ghost I walked the streets of Temple Bar
And all the bright young things were throwing up their Guinness in the gutters
And once I thought I saw you from afar
Now I'm in a nightclub in Helsinki
And they're playing La Vida Loca once again
And I can't believe I'm dancing to this crap but I'm a chance here
And every ^%$%^$% city sounds the same
At a cafe in the port of Amsterdam
An E-mail from you said you'd gone to Rome
For a minute I thought maybe but my funds were running low
And anyway it sounded like you weren't alone
So I headed north until I got to Hamburg
A chilly city suits a troubled soul
And on the Reeperbahn I paid a woman far too much
To kick me out before I'd even reached my goal
Now I'm in a restaurant in Stockholm
And the waiter here wants me to know his name
And I can order sandwiches in seven different languages
But every %$^%#$# city looks the same
Arriverderci, au revoir, aufwiedersen, hasta la vista baby
Yeah, every f&%^%$# city's just the same

:D

C. Ross
11-26-2011, 05:12 PM
It would be a triumph of nihilism to adopt new national anthems for nihilistic times.

The Soviet anthem (resuscitated with new lyrics by Putin) and O Canada are the most tuneful and singable national anthems in my opinion.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m2ttGNRkoc&feature=player_embedded

Mad Scientist
11-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Years ago, the BBC carried the results of a poll which asked a group of professional singers which was the 'best' national anthem, from a singer's point of view...Germany's was #1, Canada's was #2.

Tom

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Well, Joe Haydn knew a thing or two about writing music!

Cuyahoga Chuck
11-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Wikipedia saith that the oldest national anthem is either the Kimigayo (Japan, 9th century, but no tune before the 19th century) or Het Wilhelmus (Holland. 1574)

Het Wilhelmus is a song which protests loyalty to the King of Spain whilst fighting him; it is an insurrectionary song

God Save the Queen is in origin a warlike song; it was sung in London taverns in 1745 as an expression of support for George II during the Young Pretender's advance on London -i.e. it was a song sung by the Whigs who supported the Glorious Revolution of 1688 against the old regime.

The Marseillaise is in origin a warlike song. It was first sung during a revolution.

So is The Star Spangled Banner, but it was composed and sung during a second war against the former regime.
The Deutschlandlied was a revolutionary song sung during the 1848 revolutions in Germany.

The Russian national anthem was composed and sung during the Great Patriotic War aka WW2.

A favourite of mine. Bayan Magiliw, was composed and sung during the Philippine Revolution.

The Chinese national anthem, the March of the Volunteers, began life as a film score in Shanghai in 1934, was sung on the Long March and was adopted as the National Anthem in 1949; however during the Cultural revolution it was deemed incorrect and The East is Red was used instead (you never hear that now!)

I think we may have a pattern here...

In Polish history it is recounted the soldiers of Ladislaus Jagiello sang the "Bogu Rodzica" before the battle of Tannenburg/Grunwald in 1410. Even tho' the song was a hymn to the Blessed Virgin it was considered the anthem of the Polish nation for many centuries.
It must have been effective because Poland won.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-27-2011, 02:53 AM
I wonder which hymn to the Virgin the Teutonic Knights used? Evidently it was less effective. But the Virgin protected the Knights headquarters at Marienburg (note the name) and the Polish siege failed so she must have changed sides after the battle.

skuthorp
11-27-2011, 05:09 AM
Rule Britannia always get's the Proms crowd going along with Jerusalem, one of mum's favourites. I got her a recording of Harry Seacombe doing a fair job on the anthem but she could never square that with his Goons performances.

johnwill
11-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Finlandia is not quite the national anthem of Finland, but it is a revered patriotic song, dating from 1899 during the Russian repression of Finland. It is in my mind easily the most beautiful anthem type song I have heard. There are several sets of lyrics, including hymns, but here is an English translation of the original -

O, Finland, behold, your day is dawning,
The threat of night has been banished away,
And the lark of morning in the brightness sings,
As though the very firmament would sing.
The powers of the night are vanquished by the morning light,
Your day is dawning, O land of birth.
O, rise, Finland, raise up high
Your head, wreathed with great memories.
O, rise, Finland, you showed to the world
That you drove away the slavery,
And that you did not bend under oppression,
Your day has come, O land of birth.

A few years ago, a Finnish choir was staying in the same hotel as my wife and I in Budapest. They had come to entertain at a formal dinner given by the Finnish ambassador and held open practice sessions in the lobby. It was simply magnificent, a very moving piece.
Please listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M-PI2bkuiIk