PDA

View Full Version : American made stuff

John Smith
11-26-2011, 09:40 AM
If one wishes to buy American made gifts, where should one shop?

What would one look for?

S.V. Airlie
11-26-2011, 09:59 AM
I haven't seen much that was entirely produced in the US from start to finish. I also don't have a check book that can afford such items. Norman, himself wrote about some electronic item for his work and found that creating/producing/shipping them from elsewhere cut his costs substantially. I have to agree with his assessment.Same is true for just about anything.

katey
11-26-2011, 10:05 AM
You can shop for locally made, handmade items. Many (but not all) sellers on online marketplaces such as etsy.com are in the US. You won't get the latest electronics that way, though.

S.V. Airlie
11-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Katey..I used electronics as an example. Norman uses some state of the art gadgets in his work..He tried the the distributors for this item,what ever the heck it was, and found that using a foreign distributor for the basics was about 60% cheaper even when the essembly of the items was done in the US.

katey
11-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Oh, I wasn't responding to you, Jamie. I was bemoaning the plethora of new, shortly obsolete electronics that are marketed to everybody's kids (and adults). Just showing my age.

P-man
11-26-2011, 10:31 AM
you can find American made products everywhere. i bought some simple knit gloves for winter and they were "Made in USA". you just have to look around. the suggestion abbove for etsy is also a good idea.

S.V. Airlie
11-26-2011, 10:34 AM
And the price? I checked one site and the cost was $120.00 a pair on the pants alone..I mean, I'm sorry I can't pay $120.00 a pair for pants.

P-man
11-26-2011, 10:39 AM
price was about $15. i didn't know they were American made when i ordered them. they were just the best bargain.

S.V. Airlie
11-26-2011, 10:41 AM
P-man, I suspect if the gloves were assembled in the US, they were classified as American Made.

wardd
11-26-2011, 10:45 AM
you can find American made products everywhere. i bought some simple knit gloves for winter and they were "Made in USA". you just have to look around. the suggestion abbove for etsy is also a good idea.

where was the yarn made, where was the loom made that made gloves made

many years ago it was pointed out in the harley v honda motorcycle debate that honda employed more americans than harley did

while buy american is a laudable thing, it's not so simple a matter

S.V. Airlie
11-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Fr once, Wardd, I agree with you.. Norman, again on the subject of the electronics he needed in his projects, found it cheaper to buy them overseas and then assemble them in the US. I think he classified them as American made because they were assembled in the US. This is not a neg. about Norman, just business as it is.In one thread, I think he used actual numbers with quotes for the material from both contractors here and abroad..I think the numbers spoke volumes....A huge difference regarding the cost.

Glen Longino
11-26-2011, 10:55 AM
"Fr once , Wardd, I agree with you.."

Now this is downright Scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

S.V. Airlie
11-26-2011, 10:56 AM
He made a valid point Glen..I agreed with him....I will agree to a valid point if you come up with one too.

P-man
11-26-2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.usab2c.com/

Dave Wright
11-26-2011, 11:10 AM
I haven't seen much that was entirely produced in the US from start to finish..

Then it's quite hard to believe that you actually look.

S.V. Airlie
11-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Why?

Hal Forsen
11-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Here's a good source.
http://madeinusaforever.com/ (http://madeinusaforever.com/)

I'm partial to Filson products; much of their stuff is still made in USA.
http://www.filson.com/
Interestingly enough, recently saw on a " Made In USA" TV show, almost all of the ladies sewing for Filson are from China but many have been with the company for 10 -20 years.
When the TV host asked the Filson rep why all the Chinese?
She replied " It's simple. Nobody in America gets taught how to sew anymore."

bobbys
11-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Our Liberals in Oregon make dream catchers and Tie dye T shirts with Political cute sayings on them or pictures of Che imprinted.

OK i admit to wanting a dream catcher...

katey
11-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Two other options for USA-made gifts: give experiences, like a gift card for a balloon ride. Or give the raw materials and/or tools for the recipient to make something really nice for themselves, depending on their interest: hardwood, yarn, sterling silver sheet, dried mushrooms, fruit trees, etc.

pipefitter
11-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Has anyone tried to hand make anything in USA lately? No matter which way you approach it, you are slowly but surely being forced to compete with Walmart standards.

But then there is always the infrastructure work, where our government insists on US made materials for their projects, but the bids reflect prices of third world labor, and if you build things that pay a decent American wage, the savings will come from using imported materials.

katey
11-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Our Liberals in Oregon make dream catchers and Tie dye T shirts with Political cute sayings on them or pictures of Che imprinted.

There's a woman down in Eugene who makes the most beautiful tie-dye t-shirts I've ever seen. I buy one every time I'm in town on a Farmer's Market day! :)

Stiletto
11-26-2011, 02:01 PM
There's a woman down in Eugene who makes the most beautiful tie-dye t-shirts I've ever seen. I buy one every time I'm in town on a Farmer's Market day! :)

Just the thing for that wet t-shirt competition!;)

katey
11-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Just the thing for that wet t-shirt competition!;)

Actually, just about the worst thing in the world for a wet t-shirt competition: bright colors (no white), heavy organic cotton (USA made, I believe!) fabric, and fits me like a sack of potatoes. But they make me happy!

John Smith
11-26-2011, 02:43 PM
He made a valid point Glen..I agreed with him....I will agree to a valid point if you come up with one too.
I'll agree with anyone whenever they post something I agree with.