PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska

Eddiebou
11-26-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm planning on going duck and pheasant hunting in Nebraska next week. Anybody know about it? I don't want to be un-prepared, but I don't want to have too much baggage.
It's a long drive from here, about 23 hrs, with 3 buddies and 2 dogs. We will be hunting public and private land, self guided. I don't expect to see any wooden boats, but if I see something unusual, I'll post it.

Thanks

Paul Pless
11-26-2011, 08:30 AM
It's a long drive from here, about 23 hrs, with 3 buddies and 2 dogs. Give yourself time to rest up. I used to drive with two friends from Alabama to International Falls to fly in to Canada to fish each year. It was a 24 hour drive. We'd get to International Falls the night before, eat a steak dinner and crash then up early at the border the next day. The first day of a fly in fishing trip its so easy to run on excitement and adrenaline, but the next day would be tough after all the packing, driving, flying and setting up camp the few days before. Just a thought, if you can manage an easy day between arrival and balls out hunting the entire trip will be for the better.

C. Ross
11-26-2011, 04:47 PM
The boat pictured at the top of the forum is Prairie Islander, built by Norm Messinger of Omaha. He passed away about five years ago, just as I was joining this forum. He was one of the beloved and distinguished gentlemen of this place, so think good thoughts about him as you pass through Omaha.

I was born in Omaha and spent a lot of years there...by next week there's a chance you'll encounter sleet and ice, so bring appropriate gear. If you're in the eastern half of the state it's prairie, western half is rolling Badlands. Not much wooden boat stuff there (which is part of why Norm was so remarkable) but the Missouri River runs through Omaha and was a long time river boat route and, of course, the trail for Lewis and Clark.

Joe Dupere
11-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Just in case one of your hunting buddies is a former VEEP, you might want to check out where the closest emergency rooms are. Just sayin'.

Joe, FFPoP

SamSam
11-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Most of the time it's windy, otherwise it's very windy. Long underwear, pants and then some coveralls will work well, the coveralls can come off when/if you get warm. A good scarf for the neck is very useful. It can snow anytime now, Canadian weather can come down overnight. I was in Columbus from Aug to Dec a few years ago and Thanksgiving brought a semi blizzard. Its all small town agriculture, a good thing was there seemed to be an awful lot of fine taverns. I don't know what the hunting seasons are, but there is an incredible amount of corn grown there and there seemed to be billions of deer.